PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on a Netbook

jmundinger
October 26th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I intend to install Ubuntu on my netbook, configuring it as a dual boot (xp and Ubuntu) machine. Would there be an advantage to installing it now from the 9.04 distro that is installed on a pendrive, or should I wait a few days for the stable release of karmic?

What is the story on Grub2? I've read posts both ways regarding how well it works with Windows.

I have already created the space for the installation by running GParted from the pen drive to shrink the partition in which xp is installed. I have about 75 gb for the Ubuntu installation. Based on the reading I have done, I think I want to install Ubuntu with / and /home in separate partitions and to include a Swap partition of 1.5 to 2.0 gb (I have 1 gb RAM on the netbook). What is the suggested size for the / and /partitions?

samh785
October 26th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I intend to install Ubuntu on my netbook, configuring it as a dual boot (xp and Ubuntu) machine. Would there be an advantage to installing it now from the 9.04 distro that is installed on a pendrive, or should I wait a few days for the stable release of karmic?

What is the story on Grub2? I've read posts both ways regarding how well it works with Windows.

I have already created the space for the installation by running GParted from the pen drive to shrink the partition in which xp is installed. I have about 75 gb for the Ubuntu installation. Based on the reading I have done, I think I want to install Ubuntu with / and /home in separate partitions and to include a Swap partition of 1.5 to 2.0 gb (I have 1 gb RAM on the netbook). What is the suggested size for the / and /partitions?
If I were you, I'd wait 3 days and install the Karmic 9.10 Netbook remix. :)