PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer Aspire One problem with built-in card reader

orbital
October 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'm having trouble getting Acer Aspire One built-in card reader to work. I'm trying to get it to read my xD card but with no success. When I put the card into the reader nothing happens, it doesn't mount at all.

I tried this also but with no success: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L#Card%20Readers

Is there any ways to get the reader to work on my Aspire One? I'm using Ubuntu 9.04.

Thanks for any help.

nothingspecial
October 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM
It works on my wifes aspire one if she starts the computer with the card inserted.

orbital
October 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
It works on my wifes aspire one if she starts the computer with the card inserted.

I tried it but it didn't help. Same thing as before, no mount.

colmhopkins
October 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Orbital

This worked for me. I am using Jaunty 9.04 and Acer Aspire One ZG5. And have tried various solutions to fix the problem all to no avail .

It might add about 3 secs to boot up and some errors but works.

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

where it first says ro quiet splash
e.g. kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=e843be20-ee17-4004-891e-8fc0f93ead46 ro quiet splash

Just added the following to the end of the line, save and reboot.

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=e843be20-ee17-4004-891e-8fc0f93ead46 ro quiet splash pciehp.pciehp_force=1

:popcorn:

Colm

orbital
October 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Hi Orbital

This worked for me. I am using Jaunty 9.04 and Acer Aspire One ZG5. And have tried various solutions to fix the problem all to no avail .

It might add about 3 secs to boot up and some errors but works.

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

where it first says ro quiet splash
e.g. kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=e843be20-ee17-4004-891e-8fc0f93ead46 ro quiet splash

Just added the following to the end of the line, save and reboot.

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=e843be20-ee17-4004-891e-8fc0f93ead46 ro quiet splash pciehp.pciehp_force=1

:popcorn:

Colm

When I boot with this i get "Unknown boot option, ignoring pciehp..." notification just after the boot.

Any other ideas?

colmhopkins
October 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hi Orbital

Updated partners netbook and got same message as you. Leave it with me and see can I find a solution.

Colm

LewRockwell
October 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1300716

colmhopkins
October 25th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Orbital

Undo the changes made to the /boot/grub/menu.lst

type
sudo gedit /etc/modules

enter the following line, save and reboot

pciehp pciehp_force=1

This worked on my partners acer, allowing hot swapping on boot sd card readers

Best of luck
Colm

colmhopkins
October 25th, 2009, 07:41 PM
To LewRockwell

There is no one solution to the problem of sd card mounts on the acer aspire one. I don't like as a new poster being told in caps and with little understanding what I should and shouldn't do.

"* * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
/customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!"

Just trying to help those like myself who are having difficulties.

Your post would put me off replying and helping others again.

Colm

LewRockwell
November 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM
Your post would put me off replying and helping others again.

seriously?

well, we'll promptly return what you've paid to participate on the forums...

your check is in the mail...

{{sigh}}

teh603
November 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
There's more'n one cause to the problem. Some AAOs have ROM BIOS issues that cause it. If an AAO is having trouble reading cards, its not necessarily the card's fault.

There's also a report that both AAO card readers stopped working under Karmic, so take that in mind as well.

LewRockwell
November 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
There's more'n one cause to the problem. Some AAOs have ROM BIOS issues that cause it. If an AAO is having trouble reading cards, its not necessarily the card's fault.

There's also a report that both AAO card readers stopped working under Karmic, so take that in mind as well.

begin-fyi

the readers on those that have been on the tech bench work flawlessly under Windows XP

end-fyi

teh603
November 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
begin-fyi

the readers on those that have been on the tech bench work flawlessly under Windows XP

end-fyi

.Which makes me think its an issue with the ROMs, driver or abstraction layer. Not necessarily with the card itself. Otherwise it would always work perfectly with freshly bought cards, wouldn't it?

It isn't the first AAO BIOS issue, by the way. Or do you remember when the power manager was still freaking out because the BIOS was incorrectly reporting screen brightness?