PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Linux user are you?

Arktis
February 15th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm the purist type. Completely FAT/NTFS free, running Linux only obviously. I am pro FOSS and for the most part am anti-proprietary (edit: because of percieved abuses), and am also an avid Linux gamer. Oh yes and I do use an nvidia card for that. Not really much choice there.

nocturn
February 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I'm the purist type. Completely FAT/NTFS free, running Linux only obviously. I am totally pro FOSS and anti-proprietary, and am also an avid Linux gamer.

I'm the ethical type. Windows free since 1999 on all machines, I prefer GPL software whenever possible.

Out of practicality, I do have an Nvidia card though...
I have MP3 support installed which is legal here.

chimera
February 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Well, from the given categories, I guess I'd fall into the purist one...no windows here, although I do have mp3 support and 300gb of illegaly free music and movies...

SuperDiscoMachine V.5.7-3
I'm the nitpicky kind of user, who can't help but point out that open source software can also be propietary.

ollesbrorsa
Dual booting due to the fact that the games I play are only available for Windows. So I guess I'm pretty much stuck...

Br,
ollesbrorsa

frodon
February 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I voted other because i have a small fat32 partition and winXP just in case i would need it but i never boot on windows except to use norton ghost to make a ghost of my linux partition every month. I still use norton ghost because i have it and i'm used to it (i mean that that partimage, mondo, or bash scripts would do the same job) and i know it works because i often restore my linux partition (i like to test many things ;) )
But i run all my windows games under linux and they run faster :) (steam, wolfenstein, ...)

So i'm between stuck and purist i think.

sbasak
February 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I use Ubuntu & Knoppix with WinXP. I use many applications what are not yet available in Linux :)

Andreas T
February 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I'm new to Linux. Tried Mandriva for a while but windows was the OS I preferred.
Then I saw Ubuntu in a magazine and it seemed really good so installed it.
Have used it for a cuple of days now and it's very nice. Feels like my future OS. Still need windows for image editing and such (photo is my hobby). Tried GIMP but it can't beat photoshop.. really. I also use my photoprinter in windows.
+ I think MS office is better than Openoffice. Tried crossover office but it didn't work :S Messed up my dvddrives to :S Later problem for a n00b like me :D

I like WinXP to but got tired of the problem with virus and ****.

So I miss a few things in Ubuntu and therefore I have two disks and dualboot. :)
(stuck!)

Lord Illidan
February 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
From the definitions above, I would be a purist, since I have no NTFS/FAT on my main home computer. Hell, I even managed to install Linux on two of my school computers (but dual boot:( )
I still use propietary software though, it is just MS which I can't stand.

nocturn
February 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I'm the nitpicky kind of user, who can't help but point out that open source software can also be propietary.

Open Source can, Free Software can't.

People mix the two as if they were the same, yet they are not.

nocturn
February 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I voted other because i have a small fat32 partition and winXP just in case i would need it but i never boot on windows except to use norton ghost to make a ghost of my linux partition every month. I still use norton ghost because i have it and i'm used to it (i mean that that partimage, mondo, or bash scripts would do the same job) and i know it works because i often restore my linux partition (i like to test many things ;) )
But i run all my windows games under linux and they run faster :) (steam, wolfenstein, ...)

Just a note, but you can use tar to make a partition image, it is automaticly compressed. But the choice is yours off course.

SuperDiscoMachine V.5.7-3
February 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Open Source can, Free Software can't.

People mix the two as if they were the same, yet they are not.
Exactly my point.

Lanrond
February 15th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Curious.
I try to use Linux as much as I can and I want to learn more.
I keep my dual-boot with Mac, but I'm looking forward to repartitioning.
Linux is now carrying the torch that was carried by Apple in the '80/'90.
M$ is evil.

frodon
February 15th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Just a note, but you can use tar to make a partition image, it is automaticly compressed. But the choice is yours off course.I know, it's my stupid side, but i like to have a bootable cd which is able to restore an image but indeed we're able to do the same thing with the ubuntu live cd.
Well i think i will have a look again to this guide : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81311 but i'not sure that it will take less time to boot on a live cd than on XP, i mean in case that you cannot boot on linux.

but yes i agree with you a tar works just well (especially as cron job), mondo looks pretty good too and it allow to create bootable ghost images.

fuscia
February 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM
as my computer is just a hobby to me, i can afford to be a purist. if it were a matter of importance, i would do whatever it took to make my life easier, whatever that may be.

eMuNiX
February 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM
95% of the time I am only using Linux but when I have to use CAD or CorelDraw I have to go back into windows. I play UT2004, Q3A and Enemy Territory natively under Linux so that’s my online fragging needs seen to. :cool:

Robgould
February 15th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I like windows and linux. They both get the job done. I dual boot because its fun to play with new stuff. I keep windows as my primary desktop because I do a lot of database development with Access and Mysql. I have played with base and mysql and it works, but in the end it does not matter much. A common desired feauture is integrationg with outlook. A lot of buisinesses use outlook and exchange and changing is just not an option. So I have to have windows and office around just because it is what most companies that I know of use. I have tried to tlalk to some about changes, but people don't like change.

I think microsfot stuff is fine...XP is a vey nice OS. I also like Ubuntu and Fedora. I would prefer fedora if not for YUM. Once I tried Synaptic there was no going back to yumex. Fedora 5 comes out next month though and they have a package manager so I will probably try it.

I am running Dapper right now and love it. My only issue with Ubuntu is that it is hard to stay up to date. If bakcports does not have what you want, you just have to wait and you are "forced" to update. I'm not complaining. I love ubuntu.

Thats my two cents...sorry about the rambling.

neoflight
February 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM
i dual boot. my office PC is ubuntu only.. iam trying to get my officemates to use ubuntu. they use suse, etc now.. i even have the install cd, live cd on display on my desk and i noticed some one grabbed the live cd for sometime....

isnt it a success?\\:D/

TeeAhr1
February 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I'm somewhere beween purist and stuck, I guess. XP is still on hda2, because I can't get Civ4 to run worth a crap under Wine. But in six months, I've gone from "XP for everything" to "XP for one game that I bought right before I switched to Linux and nothing else." We'll get there.

RaptorRaider
February 15th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Really?
Could you elaborate that?
I live nearby (Amsterdam) and thought it wasn't very legal to do so.
Then again, we have legalised things which aren't legal anywhere on the planet... :twisted:

More on topic though, I'm the "Stuck!"-type.
If I'd have more money, I'd probably buy two monitors and attempt to run Ubuntu on one screen and XP/Vista on the other.

Netisan
February 15th, 2006, 04:50 PM
at my office I must use w. its the company policy-central administration, support, rightsgiving, etc. at home I've installed ubb after/with w2k. some time I'm having ubb as a second OS at work, as well. I have lots of problems integrating ubb into totally ms environment. perhaps msw is user-friendly looking, but not user-friendly using.

carlosqueso
February 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I voted other, because I'm really not any of them. Right now, my primary computer's broken (as in hardware broken), so I'm using my purist old backup computer. However, I keep windows around and have no real beefs using it (well, except for no apt and no virtual desktops), but Ubuntu is my primary OS.

Wide
February 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM
All my equipment is open source except for one MS box thats used for work, that only runs Catia for design work. Otherwize Debian, RHEL & Ubuntu in the Home, Shop & Garage.

Klaidas
February 15th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Casual and stuck :)
I need ******* for my work, favorite apps, but I dual boot cuz I really like learning linux :)

Brunellus
February 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM
halfway between purist and stuck:

I dual-boot, but I have only ever booted into windows to play a few games. I also use windows at work (not my choice).

In my defense, I use Free Software wherever possible, even on Windows. This is my work PC, and I'm posting from Firefox. and I run GAIM on all platforms I use, preferring this to AIM.

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I picked Grrrr, there is nothing wrong with propietary because I am a capitalist and I believe in a regulated capitalist system. I also believe Open Source and FOSS are also great models that provide competition and make all software strive to be better for the consumer. I believe a person just should use what works for them and their needs. I like the Open Source model because it provides a level of innovation that propietary sometimes lacks.

I have a small XP partition that I use mainly for gaming and when I break my Ubuntu partition when playing with it. I also have a FAT32 partition to share files back and forth and I also store Data on it that I do not want to lose if I decide to do a reinstall of either Windows or Ubuntu. I don't consider myself stuck because I actually like XP but not as well as I like Ubuntu and Linux.

Bragador
February 15th, 2006, 05:39 PM
It's amazing to see so much people buying windows only to use it sporadically for certain softwares.

Companies definitely need to make ther software available on linux.

I never hear Mac OS users buying a windows box to play games sporadicallly or to use native windows softwares.

Microsoft truly won the desktop war and I hate that.

Brunellus
February 15th, 2006, 05:40 PM
FOSS!=non-commercial.

I don't buy the whole "proprietary software is good because capitalism is good" argument.

Fortunately, I believe that the whole argument will be made moot by the rapid progress of free software on all fronts.

Brunellus
February 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
It's amazing to see so much people buying windows only to use it sporadically for certain softwares.

I never hear Mac OS users buying a windows box to play games sporadicallly or to use native windows softwares.

it isn't that they're *buying* windows; it's that they already have it. It came with their hardware, in most cases, as it did in mine.

I consider it "legacy support" for windows applications.

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 05:42 PM

I bought Windows before I ever used Linux. I figure I paid for this copy already and I might as well use it. I doubt I will buy another copy of a MSFT operating system in the future unless there are just some kewl features I just can't live without.

Piggah
February 15th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Well, I chose other.

I use Linux 99% of the time. I just have a small Windows partition because 1) I have enough space. 2)I did pay perfectly good money for Windows. 3) When I break something I need to get online somehow. :P

I'll probably be 100% Linux within a few months. Or as soon as I learn GIMP I should say. :P

Malphas
February 15th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I'm in the "stuck" category. I would like use FOSS software exclusively but I don't care enough about it to disregard (or make sacrifices with regard to) some of my main reasons for owning computers (video encoding/editing, DVD backup, gaming) in order to be completely free from Windows. That said I don't feel that there's anything inherently "wrong" about proprietary software, providing it supports open standards (except perhaps where security is an issue, e.g. PGP) and in fact I don't believe that open source is the most suitable model for every type of software.

TechSonic
February 15th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Oh yeah.

Gunna open a can on all ya!

endersshadow
February 15th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I'm Windows free, and don't have any NTFS or FAT partitions on my computer, nor do I have any MS product. But I'm not anti-MS or proprietary by any means...there are some remarkable products out there that MS puts out and proprietary vendors put out. Some stuff that you'll be lucky ever to find a counterpart for in FOSS (such as specific industry related software). I'm a purist, but I don't dislike MS and/or proprietary...I just prefer Linux and can do everything that I want with FOSS...why use something else?

Stormy Eyes
February 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I'm a friggin' cheapskate, but I'm not willing to use bootleg software, so I've been windows-free at home since 1999.

public_void
February 15th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Stuck. I have to use Visual Studio for university work and I have games that are Windows only. But I use Ubuntu for general stuff, I like the Desktop enviroment and the small things like the date and time with seconds shown. I also like how my Desktop looks, easily better than Windows.

briancurtin
February 15th, 2006, 08:28 PM
'purist' in the terms of this thread. i dont use windows on my personal computer(s) at all and never plan to. i really like linux and have been purely linux for 8 months now.

however, i use windows at work and in my computer science lab here at school, but i have absolutely no say in the platforms we use there. i also dont dual boot, i just use those computers, so thats why i voted purist. for my job, at a DoD contractor, windows is specified by our boss. my school has contracts with MS and we are a very small school and they see no need to have a linux lab. we have one red hat server though, no one has access to it.

Bandit
February 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I voted Purist cuz it is very close. But I started to vote other becuase you didnt have GOD-OF-LINUX listed :D
My system is very pure, I dont even have non-gpl software on my system.
I even use my own kernel compiled by myself.
Cheers,
Joey

Vlammetje
February 15th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I am probably one of the 'others' then, in the sense that I tend to choose whatever product works best for me. Although in my mind I cheer for open source and freedom, I do not necessarily despise proprietary software, and therefor I run a mixture. My desktop is Ubuntu, my XP copy runs on vmware only. I rarely use it.... but it's all paid for (cost me an arm and a leg) and therefore it shall serve me one way or the other.

OT: I've managed to reinstall that one XP copy so many times I need to phone Microsoft and explain myself every time I wish to validate it again (after changing my whole set up.... again)
I've reinstalled and toyed with Ubuntu just as many times and it's never asked me to phone in :mrgreen:

Really?
Then again, we have legalised things which aren't legal anywhere on the planet... :twisted:

If I'd have more money, I'd probably buy two monitors and attempt to run Ubuntu on one screen and XP/Vista on the other.

I am not aware of any legislation over here that prohibits us from having MP3 support on our PC's..... but I suspect there may be some anyway. I do believe we're supposed to pay some sort of 'levied charge' on all MP3-compatible devices (I suspect that means 'up to and including personal computer software') so i wouldn't be surprised if some organisations,. like the infamous 'Stichting Brein' would try to pass rules of that type.

At the same time, I must say that I doubt very much there is actual jurisdiction on this, I also doubt people like Stichting Brein would try taking you to court over the ability to play MP3 files. It's the use and more specifically the sharing ofof copyrighted material (more specifically MP3 and video) they are supposed to be after.

After all..... we are in the country that condones illegal music downloads because our politicians think that 'it would be hard to control' if people download legally or illegally. Therefore we shall not enforce... in which case there is not a problem if somebody chooses to download an MP3 file without duly paying for it.

Oh the hypocrisy of it all :-#

Anyway.... that's me ranting, feel free to ignore when needed ;)

chimera
February 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM
After all..... we are in the country that condones illegal music downloads because our politicians think that 'it would be hard to control' if people download legally or illegally. Therefore we shall not enforce... in which case there is not a problem if somebody chooses to download an MP3 file without duly paying for it.

Oh the hypocrisy of it all :-#

Anyway.... that's me ranting, feel free to ignore when needed ;)

I. Am. Moving. Got a spare room with a power point and a DSL line?

Vlammetje
February 15th, 2006, 10:19 PM
well I am currently looking for a new place but I'll let you know when I find one with that spare room for you ;)

Stormy Eyes
February 15th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I'm the evil kind of Linux user.

Derek Djons
February 15th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I'm the evil kind of Linux user.
roflmao... when reading some posts written by you I think I understand what you mean by 'evil' :)

Cheers!

arctic
February 15th, 2006, 10:55 PM
My signature says everything that needs to be said. ;)

Maelgwyn
February 15th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I chose 'other' 'cause I have only Ubuntu installed on my computer, but I have an external HDD that's FAT32 as it needs to be able to be read by both my computer, and my boyfriend's Windows laptop.

So yeah.. Kind of 'purist', but with a side of FAT ;)

Protostar
February 16th, 2006, 02:12 AM
I choose Grrr. I see nothing wrong with proprietary software, as I am a proponent of completely unregulated capitalism and see FOSS as a great alternative to those who donot want to pay good money for software that is free, which is just as good or better. I personally haven't given a dime to Microsoft, other than buying the occasianal game that they publish.

vertigo
February 16th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I choose other as I have 3 differnet machines, my main rig is running ubuntu only and has been doing for a few months now, no ntfs or fat partions at all. There are 2 machines running XP, my wifes and an old hp server that i use for movies only and for some reason doesnt like ubuntu (although im working on it and plan to have it on ubuntu in the next couple of months).
And the last one is an IBM Netfinity running server 2003 that ive just been given by a friend whos company was getting rid of it as they had just upgraded. im using it as a learning machine as most of the jobs i'm applying for want familiarity with it, again as soon as im confident enough im swaping to linux on there. (need to figure out this dual proc buisness and i686 (i think thats right)).

C J Pro
February 16th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I'm stuck. I need Sibelius 4 and Garritan Personal Orchestra (full) to work in Linux. But wine causes Sibelius to crash most of the time and Garritan requires control over MIDI and Sibelius has to beable to detect the Garritan MIDI.

akurashy
February 16th, 2006, 02:43 AM
I'm stuck. I need Sibelius 4 and Garritan Personal Orchestra (full) to work in Linux. But wine causes Sibelius to crash most of the time and Garritan requires control over MIDI and Sibelius has to beable to detect the Garritan MIDI.

Have you checked
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1124

Sometimes they bring a little "how-to" for the program to run better.

Mustard
February 16th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I put myself down as a dual-boot need to use windows for apps/games/etc.

Normally I would be a purist, but I couldn't get Medieval Total War to run on linux, under any circumstance, so I recently reinstalled win98se so I could drag out this old favourite and have a game. :)

C J Pro
February 16th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Have you checked
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1124

Sometimes they bring a little "how-to" for the program to run better.

Sibelius won't work and causes wine-preloader to be caught in an infinite loop. And I can't try Garritan again until I free up one of my licenses.

Any btw, that's the educational version that was tested there. I am using the Professional.

Virogenesis
February 16th, 2006, 03:39 AM
I say other as I do run an open source machine but I do also have closed source apps installed I do see a need for them if they are good quality,

For example I couldn't live without macromedia studio its a tool of the trade and most companies require you to have experience.

So I'm more of a codeweaver person I like opensource programs but some do not match up to the likes of photoshop or dreamweaver.

I have tried going towards opensource years ago but back then in 2000 it was pricey for a external modem and i was useless with my win modem.
Only recently i've managed to get hold of a router so now I'm able to use linux at home.

Open standards are the way forward and if a closed source app has open standards then it should do well.

qyot27
February 16th, 2006, 04:33 AM
By this poll's specifications, I'd fall under Casual. I still do most of the basic stuff under Windows because I'm still in the learning phase and due to personal nitpicky little things there are certain activities (like downloading with BitTorrent or whatnot, because I can't handle not having a Creation Date entry show up) that I feel more comfortable using Windows for; I also don't really have problems with Windows because I, unlike the rest of my family, actually take care of computers properly and practice good Internet security. My video editing hobby also keeps it there too. I like how much more responsive Firefox 1.5 is under Ubuntu, though, and I like the simple games that usually come packaged with Gnome and KDE. Heck, most of the 'advanced' games for Windows that I played probably work just fine with Wine, if they don't have a Linux version (which I haven't checked, to be fair).

Whenever the hardware gets too advanced for XP, though, I'll probably be mostly a purist, since XP is the last Microsoft OS I'll use, unless the essential programs I work with stop supporting XP (my deep-seated opposition to Trusted Computing notwithstanding). Of course, by that time, they may work just fine under Linux, either because they've been ported or because future Wine development will have enabled more complete use of them. There'll be things I miss (like the way Windows Explorer is set up), but if I desire them that badly I can use XPde or something.

nalmeth
February 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Linux purist, but only because I don't own windows, and don't care to have my arm amputated to afford it, and my other tied down to use it.

alan_t
March 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM
i run a range if platforms (including win32/xp & a multitude of *nix) on a variety of architectures. some of it is work, some of it is play, some of it is nostalgia, and some of it is just plain old curiosity..... I'm trying out ubantu for the first time (5.10, not sure what the cute animal name is) on an ibm netfinity 5000, dual PIII, 521Mb RAM.... this one is play/curiosity

... heh, some would say it's a life

justleen
March 23rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Dualing booting for one thing only: World of Warcraft.... Sick? yea, probably..

My wife though, she wouldnt touch windows with a ten foot pole these days! Does that help my karma towards the positive again? :cool:

AndyCooll
March 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Like quite a few here, I don't quite fit into any of the categories. I'm a "nearly" purist. I have a VMWare player image of XP for playing one game I like, and I play a few MP3's (though most of my music is now ogg).

Other than that I'm a purist, a keen advocate of FOSS, and try and support open-source software as much as possible. I have four boxes all running Linux.

Even when I had an XP partition on one of them I used open-source software to the point where the only proprietary software I needed was OS itself (I used Clamwin for anti-virus and the XP built in firewall)! I don't dislike M$ or proprietary software I simply prefer to choose open-source whenever possible.

:cool:

Bender the Robot
March 23rd, 2006, 03:08 PM
When Photoshop runs on ubuntu, then I'll give up XP!

mostwanted
March 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
I keep Windows for ripping music in iTunes until I get an OGG Vorbis capable portable music player. And because I see no reason to delete it, I have more than enough space on my harddisk.

nocturn
March 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Really?

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't subscribed to this thread...

Anyway, MP3 support is legally dubious because of the patent on the MP3 format. The EU has not implemented software patents so far, so this is not a concern here.

jbennett
March 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
I picked casual but its more like somewhere between casual and stuck. I have to have Windows for school and work, but even if I didn't I would probably still keep a box around with XP on it.

Personally, I'm not against all things Microsoft. I'm open to any and all alternatives and I like to tinker with just about anything I can get my hands on, even Windows.

awakatanka
March 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Have choosen the Grrr option because i think there is nothing wrong with closed software. Both sides have there good and bad.

Only hate the tactics ms uses to push other firms out of the market, with there forced installation of some products. Because they want to dominate that market to.

They need to stick with producing a OS and sell other parts our give it free for download. But don't think for the users and force them to use a product that can't be unistalled.

DeJaMo
March 23rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
I voted others, have a kubuntu/XP dual boot on my laptop, debian and win2k on seperate drives in another box (haven't booted windows there for about six months) and pure XP on my main desktop for the minute, but I've set aside a 20G partition for kubuntu which I'll get around to installing soon.

I use windows for some games and Photoshop/PaintShopPro.

I'd like to use less windows, but as I'm fairly new to linux, it'll probably take some time for my knowledge to increase to the point where I'd feel comfortable enough to operate in a purely linux environment.

BLH
April 24th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Stuck...The only use I have for booting my W2k drive is for Turbo Tax(I have not tried to set it up in wine. Might also try to set up a VM to run when needed).. If I did not have to depend on that one program I would be 100% linux.. So if any of you know of an alternative let me know!!
Thanks!

Wallakoala
April 24th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I would say I best fit into the stuck category. I use ubuntu dapper as my primary desktop os, and I rarely use windows. The only time I ever use windows is when I want to play oblivion.

Golden Warrior
April 24th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I'm stuck having to dual boot with Windows. Reason is, my work place is Windows only and I'm an IT technician so it's in my best interest to keep up with all that the Microsoft world is doing. *shrugs*

If it wasn't for that I'd be dual booting with FreeBSD instead of Windows (FreeBSD is just something I like to toss around just for fun).

BoyOfDestiny
April 24th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Hmm. Still have fat16 for floppies and usb keys. No ntfs, no wine. For applications, all Free or Open source software (except for Flash, but that hopefully will change with gnash, if I can ever get the snapshot to compile ;) )

For games I make an exception. particularly those of other platforms (the emulators I run them in are open source though :) ). I rationalize this in the same way as I watch my DVD's in totem, or view a copyrighted PDF with evince, listen to an ogg I've ripped off a CD, etc... I'm using open source software to view/use non-free content.

Some may have permission to be distributed, become "freeware", be abandoned, etc (and for a lucky few they get open sourced, like with some older ID software, that sopwith game that I've liked since I was 3, and some adventures: Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen [you'll find them in the ubuntu repos : ]...

For the other cases, this doesn't give the source, it's basically trapped with binaries unless it's reverse engineered (like with Scummvm) or some company sitting on the rights (assuming they even still have the source) decide to share it...

As for native games (on dapper amd64...) I've stuck with open source only...

bilange
April 24th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Sibelius won't work and causes wine-preloader to be caught in an infinite loop.

I'm not sure if the problem is exactly the same, but there is a game i was addicted to (Continuum / "Subspace" in the old days) which isnt working with wine because of an infinite loop issue, too.

Someone inside this Continuum community provided a patch to apply against the wine source code to get rid of this problem. Hopefully, this *could* be the same problem you are encountering today-- heres a link to winehq.org providing a small HOWTO to patch wine's source code, for Continuum of course: linky (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=3703), you may try to patch and give it a shot.. theres a saying in french that goes like "Someone who risks nothing, gets nothing", so why not? :)

Good luck!

--

As for the main topic, I am between "Stuck" and "Purist". Actually, I am on the same boat than Golden Warrior. That is: I have to stay up to date with the Windows stuff, since I also work in IT, but otherwise I only use F/OSS software and OS at home.

Computeruser
April 24th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I put down Other. I run Windows XP as my primary system because it fits my work needs the best. On my ThinkPad, I keep a Windows 98 machine for those clients who insist on keeping it, or need to keep it for legacy software; a Windows 2000 machine for those clients who are using Windows 2000; a Ubuntu machine to keep on top of Linux advancements. On my NetVIsta Windows XP Desktop, I keep the same machine, plus RedHat 7.3, RedHat 9.0, SuSE 9.0 and recently a Fedora Core 5 machine. I dumped it - it was the slowest OS (by miles) that I ever used. Of all the Linux machines, Ubuntu 5.10 is the fastest.

Sutekh
April 24th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Stuck.

The only way Windows get to see the light of day is when I have a craving for Knight of the Old Republic.

Actually, with no software installed, and a disabled ethernet connection, Windows XP isn't half bad.

Zombie process
April 24th, 2006, 05:10 AM
I voted Purist cuz it is very close. But I started to vote other becuase you didnt have GOD-OF-LINUX listed :D
My system is very pure, I dont even have non-gpl software on my system.
I even use my own kernel compiled by myself.
Cheers,
Joey

Fedora Core5 - Linux 2.6.16 - Xorg 7.0 - Gnome 2.14

mmm.... either of the two is a lie, xorg is not under the gpl license ;) (it is free software, just not GNU GPL'd )

As for the poll, I am a purist in the sense that I do not (use | need | fell as confortable using) a Windows box.

I do have a Windows partition bootable in grub that I theoreticaly could use, but I could just delete it for the mere reason of honesty in this poll answer :mrgreen: .

The only use I ocasionaly give to that abomination is to test solutions to help other people with there windows problems and to scare people with demostrations of Microsoft Office DRM XD

Costas
April 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM
...stuck....i really like linux and i hate it when i have to boot in MS but some programms i am using for my work are not available in linux (e.g. crystallography visualization, etc)...so i'm really stuck!

pitkali
April 24th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I voted stuck.

MS doesn't play fair. I don't like it.
I have nothing against proprietary - if they want to make money on it, let them make money.
I'm stuck with windows for my job - I need trados freelance for translations.

nobrac
April 24th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I guess I'm a purist. I've used linux exclusively since 2000 or so. However I'm not militant about it. If people want to use Windows I really don't care.

I just like linux better. At work my group maintains 300+ remote linux servers and a similar number of windows machines. The Windows boxes by far chew up the most time. Luckily I'm mostly on the linux side and usually don't have to deal with the continuing problems with Windows.

The biggest issues are repairability and ease of administration. If something goes wrong with linux the system is open. You can find out what's wrong and fix it. Windows is superficially easier, but you often find yourself trawling the registry looking for obscure keys and stuff like that. I'm amazed at all the contortions the Windows admins have to perform to keep their servers running. I'll take linux any day.

rabidsnail
September 2nd, 2006, 05:00 AM
Other: I have not fat or NTFS, but I do have a small HFS+ partition with OS 10.3 so that I can run iWork (best word processor and presentation around), and Flash. I very rarely use it, though, and when I do it's through mac-on-linux.

Mr.Auer
September 2nd, 2006, 05:13 AM
I replied "left out": I consider myself a free, open source advocate in software.. In other things too! Most things in life could be free and open source, thats where the future lies! Co-operation and freedom is where its at! :)
Information wants to be free. Freedom of mind and thought..And an end to rule by force, rule by robber kings and war lords. Jah!

I run Linux (Ubuntu/Xubuntu) on my 3 comps, 1 laptop and 2 desktops.

I do have proprietary elements, namely, Flash, Java, Realplayer, all media codecs including win32, mp3, m4a etc..And the Nvidia drivers.

I also have VMware installed on desktop boxes, and a Windows XP installation in VMware. This is because a while ago my brother needed to access a companys website that works exclusively on IE 6, its been coded using some IE-only stuff, impossible to display on other browsers!

Thats really all ive needed XP for in couple years, mostly I can use Wine when needed, but for some reason I couldnt get IE working in Wine. i even have bought a XP licence, but that was way back when I and Linux hadnt yet met ;)

Also am gonna try Parallels, but just try since theres no completely free (as of cost) version available, only a trial version. VMware im interested in also because I can try linux installs virtually now :)

Also I own games, bought when I was a windows user still. And I would pay a reasonable sum for good games still. If they work on Linux that is :p But mostly I play free games of course..

firenewt
September 2nd, 2006, 06:33 AM
I triple boot and windows is one of them only because I didn't want to erase it since it might be useful for something sometime. And also because I gave away my extra hard drives so I'm left with just one big one now so I erased a large ntfs partition and installed linux there. Internet of any kind is disabled in windows.

user1397
September 2nd, 2006, 07:10 AM
i picked casual cause i still dont think that ubuntu can do everything windows can, mostly because of commercial games tho. but w/e, you need ms for somethings, plus i did buy a license for it!

szf
September 5th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I began experimenting with Linux in 1999... built my first Linux-only box in 2000. At that point, I (mostly) stopped admin'ing Win98 box in the house. In 2003 (?), the Win98 hdd failed. My wife moved to Linux with me.

So we:

Don't dual boot our main computer (unless I'm looking at a new distro).
Try to use the best that's offered. That means I accept tainted nVidia drivers.
Support FOSS initiatives ($ and/or time) as a counterpoint to the above.
Have a WinXP computer for the kids.
Okay, the WinXP computer was free and you can't get Little Critter for Linux (yet.).
Moved Nana to Ubuntu for her internet use.

Rhapsody
September 5th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Something of a purist here. I like the GNU philosophy, and found that there wasn't actually anything that I strictly needed Windows for, and I figured that I could learn how to use a new operating system easily enough.

I've been meaning to kill off my old FAT32 partition where Windows XP was installed, and move loads of data I had on an NTFS partition to something more Linux-friendly. Yesterday, I finally did this. No turning back now...

thesmartace
September 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't call myself a purist but I don't have Windows installed at all at the moment. I used to have Ubuntu on my laptop and have Windows on my desktop but a few weeks back I formatted the desktop and now I have Dapper running on both.

I guess I'm 'testing the water' a bit for myself to have a computer without Windows. I was already using mostly FOSS when I did have Windows on (Inkscape, GIMP, etc) so I thought it would be nice to just run Ubuntu. The only thing I kind of miss is playing games through msn (a very small price to pay).

kwalo
September 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Purist. There's nothing, that keeps me stuck to Microsoft. I think, I even forgot how to use Windows.

bluenova
September 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I dual booted for a while, but have been MS Windows free for a year and a half. (Started out with Fedora Core)

Sadly I still use Windows (XP) at work.

xhaan
September 5th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I'd say stuck.
Like, I can't play F.E.A.R. on Linux.
But I'm getting closer and closer to just not using things that require Windows.

EdThaSlayer
September 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Iam 100% windows free on my desktop and 50% windows free on my laptop--which will change very soon ^_^

Iam all for opensource and well...i will debate till my ideas run out to make sure that Linux rises above all!**iam a Linux fanatic so to say**

newlinux
September 5th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I'm 100% windows free on my laptop, and I boot 9/10 to Linux on my desktops. I have a couple of windows apps that I must use. I'll probably never be completely windows free, but I plan on never being Linux free either...

Eckstona
September 7th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I picked other because while I don't like windows on my machine, i don't hate it. Also, while I love linux, it lacks the support it needs from hardware vendors.

emshains
October 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Well, from the given categories, I guess I'd fall into the purist one...no windows here, although I do have mp3 support and 300gb of illegaly free music and movies...

This is so me!!! :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

dburnett77
October 25th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Normally I maintain a copy of MS Windows. Currently, I believe I have over 200k. HaHaHa! Joke << INS == THERE;

But, seriousily i don't mind MS, there's just no way my pockets want or even need the strain.

Having always been a user of a computer [I'm a genetically engineered cyborg, ya kno] I prefer the subtle complexities of Linux. These generated "problems" so many fuss over are one of my forms of entertainment.

Yes, I'd think, I'm a casual user. Mainly tunes, videas, and ocassional programming/word manipulation/ and other forms of noting things...

bhuvi
October 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
usin linux is my hobby.
happy to be windows free but couldn't as engineering softwares we use is based on windows but use linux[ubuntu+fedora]95% of time.
lookin forward for the i could be windows free

BGrigg
October 25th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I chose stuck, but in reality I'm casually stuck. I don't really take sides, but am glad that Linux is out there so people don't have to pay the exorbinant price for what is nothing more than a ways to a means. And that includes Apple and not just MS.

SomeGuyDude
October 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I don't dual-boot, I have no NTFS drives, I use VERY little proprietary software except when I can't get around it (waiting for Gnash to get its butt in line), I haven't had anything Windows on my machine in a year and I got rid of Wine just a little bit ago.

None of this has to do with any philosophy or distaste for MS, though. I just find it more convenient to stick with FOSS whenever possible.

Dr Small
October 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I voted "Purist", since I don't have NTFS/FAT* partitions, I single boot ArchLinux, support FOSS, and dislike Microsoft.

BGFG
October 25th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I run ubuntu only, 64bit, gnome-openbox session, xcompmgr instead of compiz and i have one 120 gig legacy ntfs drive from when i had windows. I haven't bothered to convert it because it would be too much hassle and the media on it responds as well as that on my 250 gig ext3 partition.
I use proprietary if it improves my computing experience. hence my upgrade to flash10 today.

loneowais
October 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm a little less than purist...I dislike Windows/MS more than anyone here but have to keep it because of college:(

doorknob60
October 25th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Stuck, although I don't mind having Windows there, although I'd prefer it wasn't, it doesn't bother me too much.

Teabicky
October 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I chose the "left me out" option because I am not keen on using microsoft products and am very enthusiastic about the Linux/ Ubuntu philosophy. However as a new and VERY inexperienced Ubuntuee I need to use windows too do things like transfer music onto my creative zen 32gb and to update my navman satnav.

Lord Xeb
October 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I am gernally a purist but I would like to have windows to game but that is about it. IF i could play all the games I want to play on linux, it wouldn't even consider windows.

spupy
October 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Others:
I'm pure Linux user, but not smug about it, I don't talk bad things about MS or Apple (no "M$" or "Winsucks" nonsense), and I'm not bothered by people who don't care what OS they use or what they think about Linux.

I have several friends who use Windows and I'll tell you what happens. When we talk about something related to operating systems, these windows-using friends feel obligated to give some kind of an apology for not using linux - "no drivers for my card", "tried but didn't like it", blah blah. I don't really care if they use Window or OS X or amiga. I've never forced anyone use Linux, but if they ask, I give information and help.

They biggest argument over linux I had happened when a friend gave a USB stick to copy him some files. It turns out he formatted the usb drive as NTFS, and I didn't compile ntfs support in the kernel...

loneowais
April 26th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Now I'm a purist too. Gave up gaming so no need for Far/NTFS part.
Although I run Windows in VBox (for school), my hard disk has two EXT3 and one EXT4 partitions only.:guitar:

Saint Angeles
April 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM

i'm just about the same here... i have a 150GB external thats in FAT format (why its not in NTFS i'll never know) so that i can move it over to other peoples' computers if need be and i keep an XP partition in case i need it (i really dont).

Laibcoms
April 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'm Stuck!: I dual boot because I require windows for day-job only.

I'm a gamer, blogger, XHTML/CSS fanatic, pro "FLOSS-CC", semi anti-proprietary (semi because [1] OSS can be proprietary; [2] there are good if not excellent proprietary software, companies, and developers)

Probably, I'll put my choice like so: 80% Linux-Ubuntu | 20% MS-Windows.

:popcorn:

cmay
April 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM
purist.

mohitchawla
April 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Purist. The very thought of using Microsoft is disgusting.
And talking of gamers, I don't know how they can convince themselves to be using such a platform. Heck, I'd rather go for a PS2/3 if I really want to play. And I think they should too.

Praxicoide
April 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Sort of purist.

I went ahead and took the plunge without a parachute a few years ago and haven't installed Windows ever again. I try to avoid MS and proprietary as much as possible. But my install is not fully FOSS (Skype, Flash, and now on 9.04 Java, since OpenJDK required pulseaudio :confused:). Oh, and I pptview with wine, since I don't use OOo.

ugriffin
April 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I'm a disaster lol... currently my whole world revolves around the .doc and .ppt file formats, so I have M$ Office 07 running under Wine because OpenOffice MS XML support is terrible. I also happen to have a Windows Vista side (yes, vista. Grrr), which I use for the sole purpose of Game Maker, whose DRM Softwrap makes it almost unrunnable in Wine. The Mac port could make things easier, however.

So yeah... stuck with no way out.... grrr.

swoll1980
April 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'm stuck! between the wireless network at my school not allowing me to connect w/o Windows, and my printer, and camera not working in Linux. There is also a few apps I need for school that will not run in wine. I could run them in my virtualbox, but that's about the same as dual booting.

RandomJoe
April 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'm a pragmatist.

I don't particularly care for Windows, but I'm rather indifferent to Microsoft. And most of my dislike stems from how Windows behaved back-when rather than "world domination" issues. I just prefer the way Linux and X work, and the extra configurability / flexibility they provide.

I'll use FOSS/OSS whenever possible, but nVidia's drivers beat all else and I like my occasional games and good-looking movies. The Broadcom card in my old Dell works just fine after loading the binary blob. I enjoy the occasional game of UT, or spending a day conquering the world in Civ:CTP.

I would *like* to use native Linux apps for everything, but the software to ease programming my ham rigs and scanners is Windows-only so until I bother to figure out the protocols and write my own, I have Win2K in a VM to run those.

And while I don't use FAT/NTFS for any drives inside my computers, my USB sticks are still FAT since I do occasionally transfer stuff between my work (currently XP) and home machines.

crl0901
April 26th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I use Linux on my laptops and dual boot my main PC with Ubuntu and Vista. I like using Linux and messing around with it. I split my time between using Linux and Using Windows probably about 60-40. I don't hate Microsoft, I don't think they're evil and I don't want to see them fail. I never understood or bought in to the whole fanboy thing, I use what I want because I like it, and that's all that matters.

lukjad
April 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM
What? Where's the "One of a kind" option? This poll is so Microsoft! :p ;)

arashiko28
April 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Purist!

I realized the advantages of FOSS and will stay that way. Now I try to convert others and make them see the reality.

As others, I keep an external HD in FAT to use it as a giant flash drive :)

SomeGuyDude
April 26th, 2009, 05:48 PM
FWIW, I'm a purist in whatever I"m doing. I'm also pure GTK apps but it's not because I have a philosophical dislike of QT or KDE apps. Unless I go into a QT mode then my Firefox/Sonata/GNOME-Mplayer changes to Opera/Amarok/VLC.

I just like homogeny.

Giant Speck
April 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I guess I'm what your poll considers a "casual" Linux user.

I've been using Linux since February 2008. I didn't start using Linux because I wanted to join some FOSS-only movement. I wasn't frustrated with Windows. I started using Linux because I thought it was interesting. And it has kept my interest for more than a year now.

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to the proprietary vs. open-source debate. I use applications of both persuasions. I don't prefer one model over the other. I just use what works. Sometimes that turns out to be open-source applications and sometimes that turns out to be proprietary applications.

wells2429
January 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
I use Ubuntu 9.10 as my main but keep a small partition with Vista "came with my laptop" for my ocational binge gaming needs.

Windows use < 1%

Ubuntu use > 99% :guitar:

starcannon
January 3rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Selective Tool User: I dual boot because I have the option of using Windows for Gaming and/or Work/School and/or Favorite app(s).

I would count my self in that category, though I have not booted a windows partition on one of my own personal computers in more than a year now. I never felt "stuck", I just see Linux as a better suited tool for many of the things I do; if Linux ever quit being the better tool, I'd put it aside and grab the tool I need.

flukeairwalker
January 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM
I use 100% Linux, not because I'm a purist, but because I have no need for Windows programs. I use whatever works best for me, and so I use proprietary drivers and codecs for some things. When that stops being true I may change.

RabbitWho
January 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
I dual boot in case of emergencies, but I don't need windows for anything at the moment.

Guitar John
January 4th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I guess that you could call me a "practical purist." I don't have MS installed on anything. My remote HDD is formatted to FAT32 because that is how it was when I bought it. I didn't really see any point in reformatting it to ext3.

My music collection is saved on the remote in FLAC format. I then transcoded everything to MP3. I would use ogg if there was better hardware support but:

Both of our portable players only support MP3
My wife's cd player in her car will play MP3 cd's
My Tascam MP-GT1 (http://www.tascam.com/products/mp-gt1.html) only recognizes MP3 format
My flip Mino HD (http://www.theflip.com/en-us/Products/mino.aspx) records in MP4

SuperSonic4
January 4th, 2010, 12:05 AM
From there a purist although I will use non-free software if there is no choice or a severe performance drop. For example I use nvidia drivers and non-free codecs along with flash but that's about it. I did get rid of my iPod for a Cowon D2 though - best multimedia choice I made

My entire music collection is now in ogg and flac but mp3s are still ubiquitous when getting music online, same with videos - with my own videos I use h264/vorbis in an mkv container

cariboo
January 4th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I only have one dual boot system, the one I'm using right now it boots Karmic and Lucid. All my other systems are single boot 2 Windows and 5 various version of Ubuntu.

murderslastcrow
January 4th, 2010, 12:16 AM
There is one HUGE new category I think you're leaving out in this poll, and that is most of my friends.

They either use Wine or their programs have satisfactory equivalents or exact ports on Linux, so they don't need Windows software, and Windows just isn't a part of their life because it's not necessary.

These people aren't purists in that they want to force Microsoft out. They just don't need anything from them, and Linux does what they want better and with less problems.

This is the same for many corporations who use desktop Linux- they don't hate Microsoft, they just don't need Microsoft for anything. They found a better solution.

I used to fit into that category, but I think I'm slowly becoming a purist, constantly fighting the impulse to rag on Microsoft. I mean, you need to be humble enough to acknowledge Windows still has a few uses due to software only available for that platform in any practical setting.

Also, you need to be willing to accept that Microsoft has made some mistakes and hurt consumers, but not hold a grudge against them and feel you have to insult them for it. Linux is a better solution most of the time, but that doesn't mean Windows is the worst OS ever. 7 and XP are still usable, or no one would use them at all.

I think it's quite easy to live without Microsoft. You just have to take the first few steps and quietly ignore them, going about usual business when they try to offend/force you.

emeraldgirl08
January 4th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'm not an elitist.

I work with whatever tools are there. I use xp, w7, and various distros of linux. For my needs these things work for me. Although these days I'm more like:

2% *******
98% Linux

;)

Xbehave
January 4th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I'm the ethical type. Windows free since 1999 on all machines, I prefer GPL software whenever possible.

Out of practicality, I do have an Nvidia card though...
same only replace 1999 with 2003 and out of luck i have an ATI card and atheros wifi chip.

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 4th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I voted stuck. I currently don't have any Windows stuff on my HDD, but I'm heading to a new university in a few days and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need Doze for some programming stuff. I might just virtual box it.

stuart.reinke
January 4th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I voted stuck. I was 100% Linux untill 4 days ago when I got a BlackBerry.
Now I have a tiny little partition with XP for the sole purpose of running my BlackBerry desktop software.

Since it's there, I might use it also to watch movies from Netflix. :popcorn:

gnomeuser
January 4th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I have been a 100% Linux user for over a decade, I don't have ntfs/vfat partitions because I have no need for them not because I have anything specifically against Microsoft.

I consider myself a pragmatist these days, I prefer Open Source since I find it more feature complete - or have the potential to become so, e.g. who hasn't in his day sat with a media player for each format available, in Linux I get one and it works with everything, the way it was intended to work by most sane people.

I fundamentally believe that openness is a technical benefit that should be embraced. I dislike proprietary solution primarily because they are inferior, the nvidia driver corrupts the kernel stack with a disturbingly high frequency, the flash plugin doesn't have a stable release for anything except i386 and even then it isn't stable at all and it is resource intensive. None of the proprietary offerings really seem any good on technical grounds and I have no way of fixing them.

I like that Linux is free of cost, I can plump my Ubuntu on any machine with in range and not have to worry about license fees or pirating. It's just easier this way and much more flexible, if I need support especially for large scale deployments I can pay people to do it and trust that they know their craft, work with the code I care about.

I like that with most projects, if I am interested I can sit down and learn the stuff I need to contribute to solve the problems I have.

I like that in the community I can find just the people I want to debate with, about the things I care about. There will always be people you can learn from me and people I can learn from.

I am happy when other companies including old nememis's embrace the Open Source model because it produces superior products, because it allows users to peer at code and participate in it's evolution.

mamamia88
January 4th, 2010, 02:00 AM
i use and enjoy using both windows 7 and ubuntu. i installed linux because i thought it was fun.

Dark Aspect
January 4th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I am somewhere between a casual and a purist linux user. I don't have any fat or ntfs partitions but I do have XP running via virtualbox. I don't really hate proprietary software but rather don't have a immediate need for all of it.

I pefer Microsoft Office (wine) over openoffice so there are forms of proprietary software that I like. I guess I just like to use what works.

slooksterpsv
January 4th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Stuck/Casual -
I have to have Windows for a few reasons:
Job - I program some stuff with VB.NET and starting on C#
Movies - I love Netflix and when I can't find something good to watch on DVD or else where I use Windows.
Games - Some of my favorite Free MMORPGs are on Windows, tried in Wine, just doesn't work or they don't have a linux version.
Music - Some music I have to have iTunes to purchase, like if I can't find it on another music purchasing site.

Other than that I use Linux quite a bit (as of lately). I also play tons of games in Linux, listen to music, videos, etc. It's the best OS with the best free stuff.

RiceMonster
January 4th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I'd say casual. I use both Linux and Windows. Linux is my primary OS, but I use Windows sometimes as well. Maybe simply because I feel like it, or there's a Windows specific app I need to use. In the end though, If there weren't any Windows specific apps I may need (and there were more popular applications ported to Linux) I probably would only use Linux, because sometimes it's nicer to use one OS.

staf0048
January 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I'm an "other", but only recently. I "used" to be a purist, but since Christmas I've had to deal with some gifts that only work with proprietary software (for the time being anyway). I have Vista installed on a completely separate HDD, which I remove from my computer whenever I don't have to use it. Thankfully I only need for some initial setup work and possible maintenance in the future.

ctrlmd
January 4th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Option 2 4 me i like to use everything win,lin,mac and anything useful
Don't care about which one is the best one i only care if its useful for me.

brusegadi
January 4th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I have a copy of XP in a virtual machine used only to VPN (work) and Netflix (I will dump them soon and tell them to support Linux.)

judge jankum
January 4th, 2010, 10:01 AM
My answer wasn't really there, but I don't have any fat or ntfs on my puters...I have nothing against MS,but buntu/linux is just much better for me..

Zoot7
January 4th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Somewhere between casual and purist I suppose.
I do my best to use Linux everywhere I can, and I'm in the process of moving the stuff I have stored on ntfs partitions to ext3 partitions that I don't need Windows to access.
Although when it comes to something i need Windows for such as Home Recording, Work, Engineering Apps or Games. I don't really give booting into it a second thought.

Hetor
January 4th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Well, I have a FAT32 partition (on my flash drive :P), but I voted "Purist".

kellemes
January 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Grrrrr: Don't be an elitist; there's nothing wrong with MS and proprietary.
It's just that Linux (for the most part) suits my needs.

clanky
January 4th, 2010, 10:51 AM
For personal use I would fall into the casual bracket, for work use I look after (amongst a thousand other things) a navigation system which runs in Red Hat controlling radars and electronic charts and communicating with various other bits of navigation equipment.

Although for both personal and work use I am most definitely in the Grrrr camp, I don't think there is one single thing which harms Linux development more than the religious fervour with which some people treat it.

Zoot7
January 4th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Although for both personal and work use I am most definitely in the Grrrr camp, I don't think there is one single thing which harms Linux development more than the religious fervour with which some people treat it.
Indeed. Case in point --> http://en.windows7sins.org/

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 4th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Where's the hella awesome option? I'm the hella awesome kind of linux user.

Yes I said hella!

lollo3011
January 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I'm stuck! I play an MMO on Windows Vista and i can't emulate it in ubuntu :( But, i'm trying to get rid of the game xD

madnessjack
January 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I don't dual boot. The computers that have Ubuntu on them do because they are old and they got to such a state. Rather than go through trying to find the OEM disks (if they still exist!) and installing XP back on them I figure I can get all I need out of them with Ubuntu.

If I purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 I wouldn't need or want Ubuntu installed.

Simple.

Clopin
January 4th, 2010, 12:41 PM
For my desktop PC (this one) I am using only Linux.
But for my laptop which I use for school, I got Win7. Can't live without Office I'm afraid.

SuperSonic4
January 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I'm not an elitist.

I work with whatever tools are there. I use xp, w7, and various distros of linux. For my needs these things work for me. Although these days I'm more like:

2% *******
98% Linux

;)

Only elitists/fanboys call Windows *******, winblows, winsucks etc

Elitist
January 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I am a Purist at the moment, but the status will change to Stuck when Diablo III comes out.

:popcorn:

Exodist
January 4th, 2010, 01:27 PM
One of the better polls I have seen around here.. hehe :)

khelben1979
January 4th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I would consider myself a purist from the options in this poll. I don't boot up Windows anymore and I only use Wine when I need to play Windows games.

Sure I have Windows XP on one of my harddrives, but I only start it up if I need to help someone over the net with Windows issues, if I'm forced to use some proprietary Windows software which I can't use with Linux, or if I'm simply unable to do something which I really want to and that it requires Windows to do so.

In general, I have Linux up and running 24 hours each day. It's doing Boinc calculations during the night and I can use Linux for everything that I need to do, and especially with VirtualBox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualbox) and DosBox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosbox), things have definitely gotten a bit more fun, in my opinion.

mick222
January 4th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I dont use windows or wine but use proprietary software and have no guilt at doing so. The computer I use linux on is old but I would still dual boot even on a new computer and wouldn't see the need to uninstall windows even though I would probably seldom use it . I don't really like zealots but enjoy the challenge and freedom of Linux. I usually build my own ststems and the cost of windows would make it uneconomical to do this.

~sHyLoCk~
January 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
stuck dammit stuck..gaming needs @__@

emeraldgirl08
January 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Only elitists/fanboys call Windows *******, winblows, winsucks etc

lol I like Linux just a little more than Windows these days :)

and I don't do labels :P

Tayl
January 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
After having quit WoW I no longer have any ties to Windows. I know you can run WoW on Linux with a bit of tweaking but I always found that to be too much effort for a game that I grow bored of each time I play. So yeah, I've completely moved over getting rid of all Windows installs, any NTFS drives and what not.

My god it feels goooooooood!

Regards,

Tayl.

MooPi
January 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm a Linux purist that has to keep a Windows system around so I can feed my gaming addiction. My windows system has games and game utilities. Nothing else period. Linux covers my core computing need and I consider my XP machine an expensive game console.
If developers ever started working in earnest to get games on Linux I could drop Microsoft like a hot rock.

nerdy_kid
January 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM
the ONLY reason i even have Windows in a VM is because the 1 proprietary program i bought (DRM stripper) will only run on Windows. (not Wine) Thats for Music Vids. Amazon MP3 has taken iTunes off my needed list as far as music goes.

FAT for flash drive though....

Psumi
January 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I'm not a purist, but I don't dual-boot, I just have linux.

1. I have a fat32 USB Drive, since ext2/3/4 is too slow to transfer to it and from.

2. My grandma's computer is windows-only, so sometimes I have to use it to show her stuff. (it has a winmodem, and she uses dial-up.)

3. I use propietary video formats that I shouldn't be using because I don't want to pay every time a new ubuntu release comes out to get that functionality in my system. (WMV, AVI, MPG, etc. through w32codecs, etc.)

4. In time to come, I WILL NOT be able to install a new linux version of ubuntu, my IBM lappy will be too old for that sadly. I don't want to use puppy or anything else because of that stupid cd-rom not ejecting thing.

wolfdale
January 20th, 2010, 05:25 AM
It it weren't for my MMORPG addiction, I would have jettison Windows a long time ago.

Psumi
January 20th, 2010, 06:02 AM
It it weren't for my MMORPG addiction, I would have jettison Windows a long time ago.

Tantra Online works flawlessly in WINE. Give it a whirl.

baddog144
January 20th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I personally feel no reason to not use proprietary software, nor do I harbour any particular ill feelings towards MS. I'm pretty much in the 'grr' category. Dual booting Kubuntu and Windows 7 RC

humphreybc
January 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hmm I've been using Ubuntu on my primary machine for about a year now and I've never really had any need to use Windows.

All my uni work can be done using Ubuntu, I don't play games. Ubuntu works brilliantly for me as a main operating system.

I wouldn't say I'm a "purist" - i'm not against proprietary software - it has its place like everything in life. I just don't buy it, because I can save money by using FOSS stuff :)

Of course, I spread Ubuntu as much as I can and all of my friends are probably sick of me talking about it. The reason I do this is not because I hate Microsoft or Apple, it's because I genuinely know that Ubuntu is a better operating system and would suit them better. Having used all three extensively at University and at home, and being a Windows user for 12 years, I think that I have a fairly unbiased opinion.

When I actually first tried Ubuntu I removed it after a week and vowed never to go back... that was a year ago. Now i'm the head of the Ubuntu Manual project!

fugazi32
January 22nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
Still need windows for image editing and such (photo is my hobby). Tried GIMP but it can't beat photoshop.. really. I also use my photoprinter in windows.

I've got Photoshop 6.0 working fine in WINE!!! Worth a try, not sure about newer versions though...

coldfire2122
January 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
I really have no issue with windows and proprietary software but i do like to tinker with Ubuntu for fun. I dual boot Ubuntu 9.10 with Windows 7. I'm not ready to ditch windows yet even though i really don't have anything holding me back.

scouser73
January 23rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Others: You left me out! (specify)

I'm solely an Ubuntu user but I have NTFS formatted external hard drives, the reason being is that NTFS doesn't seem to use space compared to the likes of EXT3 & EXT4.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Definitely purist. I tend to stick with Linux as much as possible. Personally, if I had to install ******* for games I would, but I don't. I have no gaming needs. I do sing, and do record. But I do that on Audacity ('apt:/audacity').

JDShu
January 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Not a purist, but my computer only has Linux (Ubuntu) on it. I have no need for any other OS these days and I prefer Linux to anything else. Hence I have one operating system to make full use of hard disk space. I don't tinker much these days since I don't want to lose my data and have only one computer. I like the idea of open source, and directly benefit from it, but I don't hate proprietary software enough to stop using it.

cmltow
January 23rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
I quit Windows completely for about a year and a half until some of my college courses would not play nice with my Ubuntu setup, then I had to dual boot (back to the dark side... at least temporarily). On a good note, I just converted my mom to Ubuntu. She fricking loves wobbly windows... wait till she really finds out what she can do with Ubuntu.

PurposeOfReason
January 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
The, "I don't give a ..." option for me. If software is open, it's great; otherwise it's great. As long as it's the best tool for the job and I am the most productive I can be. I tend to like open software more but I don't choose sides.

earthpigg
January 23rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
i woudln't describe myself as a 'purist', but that is your definition that fits me best.

i have zero objections to toys and games and playthings being proprietary.

the threshold for me is 'things i may become relient upon'... that cannot be non-free.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Why do you guys declare Microsoft proprietary software anyway, when Apple is far worse? If Microsoft is proprietary, Apple is plain lockware. Consider the facts:

Secrecy about development releases: Apple doesn't release betas and RCs to see if people like their software. I mean they do - once every 10-15 years! If they plan a new OS, the release date, information, compatibility, bugs, and everything else are plain "confidential".

Locked to Apple hardware: This is absolutely aggravating that Apple's OS is locked to their own expensive hardware. It really says something: that even though the kernel and core OS components excluding the GUI are open source, it has locked proprietary hardware support and is crippled by this model. It really says how proprietary Apple is.

Does this tell you what "proprietary" means?

user1397
January 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
I've been all over the place. Ive gone from wiping out windows to having windows only, to dualbooting arch with windows 7 to dualbooting windows with karmic etc.

right now I just have windows 7 installed, but who knows what the future may bring?:popcorn:

dyslexia
January 23rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
I'm a ****; I'll quad-boot with just about anything.

Have had fedora, 9.04, various Ubuntu incarnations in one of my guest OS slots, right now have two nearly identical 9.10 installations, am having a fling with OS X on another, and am experimenting with Win 7 on a fourth.

fjf314
January 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM

I actually fit the "I don't even have any fat or ntfs partitions" part of the purist category, but I don't necessarily dislike Microsoft. I use Windows 2000 and Windows Vista regularly at work and I don't think of Windows as particularly bad. I just happen to like *nix better. Different things work better for different people.

Techsnap
January 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM

I've been using Linux for 8 years and I've never condoned this M$ ******** and all that crap, people need to be realistic and get to terms with what people in the "real world" use. I switched back to Windows just 2 days ago for example because of Visual Studio and some other applications which just aren't available.

I like Linux, but there's a time for work, and since I'm not a Linux admin I need to be running Windows and I don't care because they're equally good Operating Systems for different reasons.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Stuck because I need a couple of specialist applications for work. Not a chance that they will run properly in wine.

SoFl W
January 24th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I have said, "My next machine will be linux only" and it hasn't happened, currently dual boot with Win XP although I wish it was Win2K Pro. Some software I like doesn't work on this machine under XP but worked with W2KPro. Some things are not available or work requires Windows. I am to the point I don't like booting the Win side of the machine.

jamesr
January 25th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I voted other because I have to use Windows for business use, both for the software, that the instrumentation that I work with, uses and the accounting software that my accountant requires. Equally most documentation has to supplied in MS Office formats but home useage is Ubuntu based, and the Home server is equally Ubuntu based.