PDA

View Full Version : valentine's day, ubuntu style

fuscia
February 15th, 2006, 05:05 AM
mrs. fuscia has had enough of right clicking, debian, apps, net, etc. enter icewm. she's got mail and firefox, i can easily slide back to openbox, all's right with the world. hearts, flowers and chocolates to all of you, my lovely acquaintances.

Iandefor
February 15th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Good on ya. I had a sheisty V-day. V-day has always been a crappy experience for me, and this year was no different. I see very little to celebrate.

Sp@z
February 15th, 2006, 05:15 AM
same to ya Fuscia.....played with other WM's today, sticking wiht gnome for now!

fuscia
February 15th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Good on ya. I had a sheisty V-day. V-day has always been a crappy experience for me, and this year was no different. I see very little to celebrate.

sorry about that. let me share, with you, the ultimate story of bad love luck from a friend of mine from another site...

Last night, I was a little tipsey or whathaveyou. I was rummaging throught the closet in the boxes looking for my Super Nintendo and my Genesis cause I wanted some badass gaming going on. I stumbled across an old dusty box of Christmas decorations that haven't been removed since my ex left me a few years ago.

I opened it and saw some ornaments and ****..then I saw a snowglobe. It was the Make A Wish foundation's Christmas snow globe. It had a snowman and snowwoman holding hands next to a big "2000". I picked up and looked at it and it slowly began to play the last few notes of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and I could almost sing along in my head....and a happy....new........year.

I looked at it and saw the engraved inscription that said "Shea & Blake's First Christmas."

I stared and almost became depressed for a few seconds as I wandered in my mind; picturing her and her new husband and their family gathered around the tree, laughing and smiling...getting lost in one another's eyes. Then I looked around at my bare and dessolate apartment, cold, lonely. I almost got depressed with myself and cried until I dropped the snowglobe gently onto my couch. I walked slowly to my room, grabbed the 22 magnum out of my boot holster, and returned to the living room where I opened fire. I have a huge ******* mess now with that water and shattered glass and whatever the **** they use to simulate snow in those things.

Let me just say...I'm glad I didn't use the 40. That would have ****ed my couch up WAY worse. And to think..I saved the hollow point in the chamber of that badboy...for Christmas Day.

fuscia
February 15th, 2006, 05:39 AM
same to ya Fuscia.....played with other WM's today, sticking wiht gnome for now!

party on, dude.

Iandefor
February 15th, 2006, 04:35 PM
sorry about that. Eh, it's not a problem. C'est la vie.

Robgould
February 15th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Ok, I admit I don't know. Where do long leaf pines grow?

While we are about the questions, what is icewm and why do you like it?

fuscia
February 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Ok, I admit I don't know. Where do long leaf pines grow?

north carolina, the summer land where the sun doth shine

While we are about the questions, what is icewm and why do you like it?

i like it mostly because the novelty hasn't worn off yet. it's pretty fast and looks great with the crux teal theme (it's astonishing how many of the other themes look like a 'series of asterisks'). my favorite is still openbox, though.

Robgould
February 15th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Now I feel really stupid...I live in NC and still did not know it was where the long leaf pines grew. Thanks for the education!

carlosqueso
February 15th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Dang, there's a lot of North Carolinians on this board....why do we seem to have a strange affinity for Ubuntu?

fuscia
February 15th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Dang, there's a lot of North Carolinians on this board....why do we seem to have a strange affinity for Ubuntu?

i'm just a carpetbagger.

Now I feel really stupid...I live in NC and still did not know it was where the long leaf pines grew. Thanks for the education!

ouch!

David Valentine
February 15th, 2006, 10:51 PM
The thing is, longleaf pines generally grow farther south, like in Florida. North Carolina has far more loblolly pines than longleaf.

Robgould
February 16th, 2006, 02:39 AM
I'm an import myself actually. I was wondering though, how doe a guy from Alaska know so much about pine trees?

Lovechild
February 16th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I send this to my ex, who ironically lives in NC now that everyone else is from there anyways.

To the one I can't forget
and to whom I'd gladly tread.
On the day of Valentine
How I wish you could be mine.
Sadly our time together
far to short regardless whither.
An eternity it seems to be
when alone - apart from thee.
How I miss you in my life
how I wish you'd be my wife.

fuscia
February 16th, 2006, 04:08 AM
The thing is, longleaf pines generally grow farther south, like in Florida. North Carolina has far more loblolly pines than longleaf.

yup, we've got tons of loblollies in our yard.

David Valentine
February 18th, 2006, 03:22 AM
I was wondering though, how does a guy from Alaska know so much about pine trees?I spent 4 years in Durham, NC, when I was in graduate school, which then was the Duke School of Forestry & Environmental Studies (since renamed the Nicholas School of the Environment). So I did learn a thing or two about pine trees... \\:D/

fuscia
February 18th, 2006, 03:30 AM
duke??? DOH!

Joey French
February 18th, 2006, 03:34 AM
South Carolina in the house!\\:D/

Okay, see you later...

fuscia
February 18th, 2006, 04:20 AM
South Carolina in the house!\\:D/

Okay, see you later...

lou holtz is defintitely 'old school'.

David Valentine
February 18th, 2006, 08:06 AM
duke??? DOH!What's wrong with Duke (other than it has too much of my money)? Should I have said "Go Heels" or something?;)

Lovechild
February 18th, 2006, 11:41 AM
What's wrong with Duke (other than it has too much of my money)? Should I have said "Go Heels" or something?;)

In honor of my ex.. GO HEELS!!

*where did I put my Tarheels cap and the camera*

fuscia
February 18th, 2006, 01:21 PM
What's wrong with Duke (other than it has too much of my money)? Should I have said "Go Heels" or something?;)

ouch! a lot of my friends went to state, so i have some affection for state. my father in law played for clemson, so i'll pull for them some. the other teams i like are whoever's playing duke (nothing personal). i used to feel that way about carolina as well, but my attitude towards them has softened. (in fact, my current wallpaper is a pic from the campus.) my anti-dukeness stems from my detestment of danny ferry and christian laettner. (what a pair of snivelling little weasels.) i think it's a pretty campus, though, and i even got to meet jane goodall at a duke primate center event, so there are some definitely positive thoughts i have about the place.

David Valentine
February 20th, 2006, 08:28 AM
In honor of my ex.. GO HEELS!!I could live in Chapel Hill. Didn't James Taylor hail from there?
i think it's a pretty campus, though,Very pretty, indeed. But it always bothered me that it was founded by tobacco money, and while I was there smoking wasn't yet banned in the hospital. Plus, Duke always seemed to be the university for rich kids. For grad school, however, it was quite good. And, FWIW, I did root for the Wolfpack WAAAY back when Jim Valvano coached the basketball team to the national championship for the first time (1983, I think it was). At any rate, I took classes at both UNC and NC State (and paid Duke tuition for 'em--what a deal!).

fuscia
February 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
i'd be a tarheel fan were it not for tarheel fans. i've found myself wondering, at times "hey, you didn't even go to college. what's this 'we' crap?"

Joey French
February 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM
i'd be a tarheel fan were it not for tarheel fans. i've found myself wondering, at times "hey, you didn't even go to college. what's this 'we' crap?"

Man, I am from South Carolina, and this is so true. I see Gamecock garb on redneck stores, busted up toothless dude's tractors, airbrushed on kids with mullets' t-shirts! And the crowd at games...good god! It's like the county fair! I'd be willing to bet that 75% of the knuckleheads who root for the University of South Carolina didn't even finish high school.

Come to think of it, I need to move.

fuscia
February 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Man, I am from South Carolina, and this is so true. I see Gamecock garb on redneck stores, busted up toothless dude's tractors, airbrushed on kids with mullets' t-shirts! And the crowd at games...good god! It's like the county fair! I'd be willing to bet that 75% of the knuckleheads who root for the University of South Carolina didn't even finish high school.

Come to think of it, I need to move.

i guess it's true of sports fans everywhere. "we finally won!" "dude, you don't play for the red sox. and besides, none of them are from here."

edit: i'm originally from the boston area.

TechSonic
February 20th, 2006, 05:27 PM
My idea of V day is to sit on the bench at Rustys bar with the Russians and get wasted while laughing at people holding hands as they walked down the street.

The sad thing is, I have fun doing that and I'm starting to understand the Russian language a little better every year.