PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Shall I install beta 9.10 or wait?

svkndv
October 23rd, 2009, 05:59 AM
I am planning to install ubuntu 9.10 beta on my new machine. Can I know whether this will automatically get upgraded once the final version availabe on 29th?
If i need to do a fresh install i prefer to wait until 29th oct for the final version. If I do not need to do a fresh install when it is available I can install beta on this week end.

Your valuable suggestions appreciated.

kixome
October 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
IMHO i would wait for Ubuntu 10. this is only my opinion as far as my experience, but seems like the .10 versions (at least the last two) have been far too buggy for a day to day system.

other than the intel driver regression, the .04 releases have seemed stable (i.e. jaunty)

personally I have had a repetitive problem with karmic 9.10

the problem for my system: everytime I try to shutdown the system hangs at "deactivating swap" and if I ctrl alt del to restart when it trys to enter the GUI it gives me cannot update ICEauthourity error, so i have to # sudo chown username:username /home/username/.ICEauthority

just my experiences.

GOOD LUCK

jmszr
October 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
svkndv,

9.10 rc is out now: http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.10/ .
If you install all the updates until the final release comes out then you will already have it.

svkndv
October 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
svkndv,

9.10 rc is out now: http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.10/ .
If you install all the updates until the final release comes out then you will already have it.

Do I need to reinstall once final version come out? Suppose if I install all updates until final version does it still show as RC

jmszr
October 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
svkndv,

There would be no functional reason to reinstall, but I don't know whether it would "show" as an rc. Does that matter to you?

wilee-nilee
October 23rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
If you do a fresh install now and update fully no partial updates you will have the final release. I would not do this though if it is your main computer, unless you have nothing to lose and are willing to do some work if something goes amiss. Also trying to download around release time will probably be very slow and has the chance of being a broken download although a very small chance. If you can just wait a couple weeks after the release you will probably have a little easier experience.