PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with tabs in Python

GammaPoint
October 23rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
Hi, I'm reading in a bunch of files and converting them from one format to another. Anyway, in doing so I need to be able to read what the 6th character is of each line. However, this is assuming that the previous 5 characters are whitespaces. If the original file was created instead with a 'Tab' then if I index the 6th character of the line I'll get something totally different than what I expected to get.

So my question is, when reading a file is there a way in Python to tell if there are any 'tabs' in the line? I know that there is a string method called .expandtabs() but I *think* that only works if the tab is explicitly written like '\t'. Thanks for your time :)

ghostdog74
October 23rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
So my question is, when reading a file is there a way in Python to tell if there are any 'tabs' in the line?
split on tabs eg string.split("\t") and count the length of the returned list? OR you may try
if "\t" in string (not tested, just came out of my mouth and left for you to try )

Tony Flury
October 23rd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Assuming you can detect the tab characters (which should be equivalent to '\t'), how many spaces are you going to assume is a tab character - bear in mind you could assume 4 spaces - but the author of your document might assume that a tab is 6, or 8 - or something else, and therefore throw off your processing.

Is there a reason why you are using an absolute position (i.e. the 6th character/position) rather than using something like the first non-whitespace character.