PDA

View Full Version : Fresh install of 9.10 beta, no sound

JerkyChew
October 22nd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Formatted and reloaded my machine with (32 bit) Mythbuntu 9.10 beta using an ISO downloaded yesterday (10/20). I ran a fresh install and on the first reboot downloaded the full set of updates.

This was a slave BE with FE. After getting it up and running I moved it to my living room and found that my sound didn't work. Up until this point there were no speakers plugged in so I don't know if I ever had sound. I've turned up everything in the xfce mixer applet as well as the alsamixer from a command prompt. I've tried Myth, youtube and Pandora with no luck.

The motherboard is a Biostar P4M890-M7 SE.

I saw that there's a similar thread that I didn't want to hijack, so here are the answers to jwbrown77's questions:

What version of Mythbuntu are you using?

Is your system using ALSA or OSS for sound?

What's the output of this:

lsmod | grep snd

Are you using regular analog audio cables or optical?

I believe ALSA because when I launch the mixer it says "HDA VIA VT82xx (Alsa mixer)"

matt@magic:~$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_realtek 203328 1
snd_hda_intel 26920 3
snd_hda_codec 75708 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 7200 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_oss 37920 0
snd_mixer_oss 16028 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 75296 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 2656 0
snd_seq_oss 28576 0
snd_seq_midi 6432 0
snd_rawmidi 22208 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 6940 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 50224 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_m idi_event
snd_timer 22276 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 6920 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmi di,snd_seq
snd 59204 18 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_cod ec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd _seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,s nd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 7264 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 9156 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

I'm using plain old analog audio cables.

jimmux
October 22nd, 2009, 01:57 AM
I just had the same thing happen. I was already on 9.10 with working sound, but after an update it was gone.

The same problem existed when I was on 9.04 and was fixed by updating alsa to version 1.0.20.

However, I'm on that version now and having the same problem I used to have. You might like to try following the ALSA upgrade process (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810) anyway.

jwbrown77
October 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
I'm not a Linux sound expert, but I know on my default 9.10 install with full updates, my card was detected as using OSS. I was attempting to adjust the volume with alsamixer and it wasn't having any effect.

I went into the frontend setup and changed the sound output from alsa to OSS and it started working for me.

Can you try launching a video in mplayer or something and see if you get sound in that (something that's independent of MythTV)?

Because I use optical audio, I had to tell mplayer to use -ao oss:/dev/adsp and it works great.

I think there's an audio FAQ somehwere on these forums (not in the MythBuntu section IIRC, on some other Ubuntu section). You might try looking that up.

JerkyChew
October 31st, 2009, 10:00 PM
I got it working, user error.

I followed the tips in the excellent ALSA troubleshooting wiki at http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/TroubleShooting with no luck. I went back and re-opened my alsa mixer and selected everything in the switches section. I then found that my "Front" device was muted. Un-muted it, and I now have sound!