PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64 bit with intel?

Neezer
October 21st, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'm just wondering about the name of the 9.04 release...I want the 64 bit version so that I can use all 4GB of my ram, but it says AMD in the file name of the ISO. Can this be used with an Intel 64 bit processor?

I have the HP Pavilion dv6 and am looking to dual boot.

howefield
October 21st, 2009, 11:15 PM
I'm just wondering about the name of the 9.04 release...I want the 64 bit version so that I can use all 4GB of my ram, but it says AMD in the file name of the ISO. Can this be used with an Intel 64 bit processor?

Yes it can.

The 64 bit specification was designed by AMD and licensed to Intel, the name has stuck.

nwadams
October 21st, 2009, 11:16 PM
yes it can be used with intel, it will work perfectly. The reason it is called AMD64 is because AMD developed 64 bit before Intel did. They really should change the name or make a note on it.

Neezer
October 21st, 2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks all!

I have read I will have problems getting my audio going, but I'm ready!!

I used the 32 bit live cd last night, and it wasn't showing all my ram, so i decided I'd wait and use the 64 bit version in order to get all my ram....

Also, the sound wasn't working while using the live CD either so I'm sure i'll run into issues.

Sef
October 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
yes it can be used with intel, it will work perfectly. The reason it is called AMD64 is because AMD developed 64 bit before Intel did. They really should change the name or make a note on it.

Since AMD came up with the 64-bit first, it is called AMD 64-bit. For the same reason x86 is an Intel product, but AMD makes compatible 32 bit chips.