PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trying out different desktop environments

Jaunty_Joe
October 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
If this is a question that has already been answered and I missed it when surfing the alien...I mean forums, I apologize in advance. A few months ago I installed Ubuntu, and have noticed that I am sleeping much more soundly, and in general, feel much less evil than when I had XP installed. Anyhow, my question is, lets say i use apt-get to install the KDE desktop, then maybe try another environment, will the programs / packages installed under Gnome go bye-bye, or will they still be there. Basically, the idea is, can I try out another environment through apt-get, and if I decide I don't like it, just use apt-get gnome (w/e the correct syntax is) to go back to Gnome if I don't like the other environment(s)? This would save me from triple-booting Ubuntu, a distro that shall remain nameless, and Kubuntu or Xubuntu. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

VCoolio
October 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
You can try whatever you want. Install kubuntu-desktop (that will come with a lot of kde-packages included, don't get scared by the size), or openbox, or e17, or lxde. Logout, change session in the login screen and see if you like it. You can have several next to each other (I have 11 login options now ;) ). If you uninstall there may be some packages left (especially with kde); just check some howto (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome) on what to uninstall exactly.

howefield
October 21st, 2009, 10:58 PM
Anyhow, my question is, lets say i use apt-get to install the KDE desktop, then maybe try another environment, will the programs / packages installed under Gnome go bye-bye,

Your programs will still be there, and you'll find that your menus contain the programs from all your desktop environments. eg, you can access KDE apps from Gnome and vice versa.

Jaunty_Joe
October 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM
Cool, thanks guys! I will try this when I get home tonight!

lovinglinux
October 22nd, 2009, 02:09 AM
You can also install kde-core instead of the entire desktop. This will allow you to run kde with the minimal required packages, without installing a bunch of applications like Kontact, Kmail and so on.

See http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde-core