PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 'Places' panel menu item does not work

Redsandro
October 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
A small question for something annoying:
All the shortcuts in Places on the top panel from Ubuntu 9.04 are NOT working, except for 'computer'.

I think it happened after an upgrade or update, and it has been too annoying for too long. My shamefully bad solution would be to reinstall Ubuntu, but I really don't want to do that and loose all my settings.

So I hope it rings a bell for someone and can give me a solution that's more hassle-free. :)

Redsandro
November 1st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Anyone? I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 and still have the same problem. :(

lavadisco
November 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Me too. I get a popup error whenever I try to click on any of the places with a folder icon:

Could not open location 'file:///home/username'. No application is registered as handling this file

JustinR
November 27th, 2009, 10:27 PM
It looks like Nautilus (The file manager) isn't configured correctly - I'm not sure how to reconfigure it though.

Try going to the run application by hitting the keys, ALT+F2, then type:

"nautilus file:///home/[username]"

without the quotes, replace [username] with your username without the grouping symbols and it should open correctly.

lavadisco
November 28th, 2009, 02:19 AM
It's not a problem for me to get to the home folder, as the "computer" shortcut in the places menu still works and is faster than opening the run prompt and typing a bunch of stuff. So hopefully somebody knows how to fix nautilus.