PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing a Scanner (or any hardware)

Don Bowen
October 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I have a scanner hooked up to my desktop computer. How do I get Ubuntu to recognize it?

Is there a "hardware mgr" to look at like in windows? How do you know when you're missing a driver for something?

MelDJ
October 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
most things run out of the box. just try scanning something

halitech
October 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I have a scanner hooked up to my desktop computer. How do I get Ubuntu to recognize it?

Is there a "hardware mgr" to look at like in windows? How do you know when you're missing a driver for something?

if its hooked up by a usb cable, open a terminal and run

lsub and see if its listed.

as far as how to know if you are missing a driver, try to use the device and if it works, you have the driver, if it doesn't, you are missing the driver :)

falconindy
October 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
'lsusb' is the proper command. Scanners can be tricky, but often it just comes down to dropping a firmware file in the right place and XSane (Scanner Access Now Easy) will do the rest.

halitech
October 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
'lsusb' is the proper command. Scanners can be tricky, but often it just comes down to dropping a firmware file in the right place and XSane (Scanner Access Now Easy) will do the rest.

D'oh, thanks for catching that for me, fingers were ahead of my brain and didn't proofread what I typed :(

Don Bowen
October 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM
most things run out of the box. just try scanning something
Yep! That was it. I scanned something and it worked the first time. Wow! Thank you for your patience with me not knowing that it already worked.