PDA

View Full Version : Default install 9.04. No DVD playback/import?

mjitkop
October 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hello all,

I am considering building an HTPC in my basement using Mythbuntu and an older PC that I brought down from my attic. The PC has a 2 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM. I have already installed Mythbuntu 9.04 and the PC is not connected to the internet.

For now, I am starting by simply using the PC with a 19" Dell monitor to see if I can get things to work. Eventually I would like to hook it up to my video projector but one step at a time.

First thing I noticed is that the GUI does not display all menu options properly. It looks like the resolution of the GUI is too low and yet the resolution that Mythbuntu reports in the Applications/Setting menu is pretty high at 1900x1200 (from memory, I could be wrong about the actual numbers).

Another main concern as I mentioned in the title of this thread is that I can't even play a DVD. The video freezes right away and I am wondering if it's because the DVD Rom drive that is in the PC is quite old. Do I need a fast DVD drive? Or is it because some libraries need to be installed via the package manager? This would mean I need the internet?
Even though it could not even play a DVD, I tried to import it anyway but it does not work either. There is a progression bar that shows that the ripping process seems to work but at the end the file size is zero.

Should it work with a default install without installing packages?

Once I get this to work, I will decide on a tuner card.

Thank you. :)

wxnker
October 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

superm1
October 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Hello all,

I am considering building an HTPC in my basement using Mythbuntu and an older PC that I brought down from my attic. The PC has a 2 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM. I have already installed Mythbuntu 9.04 and the PC is not connected to the internet.

For now, I am starting by simply using the PC with a 19" Dell monitor to see if I can get things to work. Eventually I would like to hook it up to my video projector but one step at a time.

First thing I noticed is that the GUI does not display all menu options properly. It looks like the resolution of the GUI is too low and yet the resolution that Mythbuntu reports in the Applications/Setting menu is pretty high at 1900x1200 (from memory, I could be wrong about the actual numbers).

Another main concern as I mentioned in the title of this thread is that I can't even play a DVD. The video freezes right away and I am wondering if it's because the DVD Rom drive that is in the PC is quite old. Do I need a fast DVD drive? Or is it because some libraries need to be installed via the package manager? This would mean I need the internet?
Even though it could not even play a DVD, I tried to import it anyway but it does not work either. There is a progression bar that shows that the ripping process seems to work but at the end the file size is zero.

Should it work with a default install without installing packages?

Once I get this to work, I will decide on a tuner card.

Thank you. :)
Open up the mythbuntu control centre, choose the tab for codecs, and install your codecs.