PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 gnome panel not loading

rggavubt
October 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I just upgraded to 9.10 and the gnome panel is not loading/responding. I can't click anything on the top panel. It is frozen. When I cntrl, alt, delete to shut down(only way to shut down) it says Panel not responding, do you want to shut down anyway. On occasion, it loads properly and the system works properly. I'm using a HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop. Anyone else having similar problems. I finally put my most used programs on the desktop so I could use them.:(

PolluxBR
October 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Same here :(

Desktop Dell Core2 Duo.

edit: I fix it.

Try just restart the panel first.

at first, try this:

killall gnome-panel
gnome-panel &

And see if it works.

I've done this (this will clean all your visual preferences, themes icons, etc.)

Procedure to follow 1) First you need to Boot the system upto Login Window and now Press Ctrl+Alt+F1
2) Now You will get a Text based login screen use your username and password to login
3) run the following Command from your terminal

$ rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd
Now Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 you get your normal GUI login window

and then

killall gnome-panel
gnome-panel &

rggavubt
October 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Desktop Dell Core2 Duo.

at first, try this:

killall gnome-panel
gnome-panel &

And see if it works.

I've done this (this will clean all your visual preferences, themes icons, etc.)

Procedure to follow 1) First you need to Boot the system upto Login Window and now Press Ctrl+Alt+F1
2) Now You will get a Text based login screen use your username and password to login

and then

killall gnome-panel
gnome-panel &

It seems to have worked itself out after doing upgrades. I had loaded the 9.10 beta and now after many upgrades it seems to be working OK and loading every time. Thanks for your reply.

strange_cathect
October 31st, 2009, 03:47 PM
I just upgraded to 9.10 and I am having this problem. I'm unable to access any programs that do not have links on my desktop. All panels do not load. Rebooting does not solve the issue. My machine is basically bricked right now.

FeTTo
November 4th, 2009, 01:53 AM
strange im having the same problem

kill gnome-panel just kills one panel and leaves the other frozen panel there. and i try it again and it wont do anything, then i try "gnome-panel &) and get "steve@steve-laptop:~$ killall gnome-panel
steve@steve-laptop:~$ gnome-panel &
[2] 7059
steve@steve-laptop:~$ Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.
^C
[2]+ Exit 255 gnome-panel
"

i dont know wtf to do

dakebusi
November 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Same problem here. I upgraded to 9.10 a few days ago, and every time I boot my machine and log in the GNOME Panel is not properly loaded.

I've followed the suggestions posted above (rm -f .gnome... and killall gnome-panel). It works, but only for one session. If I reboot the machine I have the same problem again and again.

Is that a 9.10 bug or is it something about GNOME configuration files?

Thanks a lot!

FeTTo
November 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
i had to kill gnome panel all together and restore it back to default and start allllll over again

gnome-session-remove gnome-panel
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel
gnome-panel &

don1ogan
November 12th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Same here!
This is on new installation of 9.10, for a week everything was okay and now the panel half loads then freezes. On a forced restart a message flashes on the splash screen, the key word I can catch is "Esc"

then another flashed message this time the key word is "Ctrl+D" this process gives me a normal desktop.

Today I had to repeat this process half a dozen times be for this worked.

starcannon
November 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
gnome-panel has suddenly started just disappearing. I can click where the menu's are, and they drop down, but the panel itself is not visible.

lumpy2000
November 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
just created script:

#!/bin/sh

gksudo pkill gnome-panel

lumpy2000
November 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
How many of you are using weather applet? I haven't checked it but it seams that when ever I restarted the gnome-panel I noticed that weather is not showing... Maybe gnome-panel is freezing because of that?!

Robik
November 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
lumpy2000 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=957260) You are right!!! I had control panel frozen. Restart of it help, but this is not good solution. I did not find whether icon applet on the control panel. So, I did kill gnome-weather process and system gave next message:
"Applet do not responded. Do You want to exclude it from current configuration?"
I did Yes and reboot the system to see the result. Now everything works fine.

Thank You very much lumpy2000 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=957260).

*DRINK*

radnor
December 1st, 2009, 03:56 PM
I just upgraded to 9.10 and I am having this problem. I'm unable to access any programs that do not have links on my desktop. All panels do not load. Rebooting does not solve the issue. My machine is basically bricked right now.

Same issue. It took SEVERAL reboots before I had the panel working.
I have the weather applet on my panel.

herdivet
December 14th, 2009, 05:57 AM
This fixed the problem for me after MUCH HASSLE looking for this fix. I searched the forums for 'panel lockup', 'karmic panel problem', I didn't think to search for 'weather applet' until I realized that's where the problem was coming from. This needs to be cross referenced. I did find some similar problems in 'Panel not responding' -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1353223&highlight=karmic+panel

I'm going to post a link to this there.

For noobs like me, here's step by step...

You need a terminal to kill the process. (ALT F2 did nothing for me).

Right click the desktop and choose 'Create Launcher'.
Give it a name like Terminal
the command should be 'gnome-terminal'
Click OK

Open the terminal by double-clicking on it.
Determine the Process ID (PID) of the weather app by typing 'ps -A'
The gweather-applet should be on the list, note the number in the first column by it (the PID)
Type kill 9999 (9999 = the PID)
You'll get a notification that the panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME....". Choose to delete the applet from your configuration.

You may get a notification that 'Weather Report has quit unexpectedly and you may reload it - you don't want to do this, choose 'Don't Reload'.

This worked great for me. Your mileage may vary.

Bill

strange_cathect
December 14th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Ok, but what if you really, really like your weather applet? You have to choose between the applet or a functioning panel? That isn't really a fix.

Does anyone know where this problem is? I didn't have this in 9.04, but it happens to me all the time in 9.10.

SR_ELPIRATA
December 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Same here, I love having them weather applets and usually run 4 :D

Last nite I installed Karmic to a friend and showed him the weather applet and we put 2 :D Its funny that on the many restarts we did the panel kept working, but this morning as I'm getting ready to install him 2 applications... cant use the system at all, as it logs in, and I can see aplications/places/system but I cant select any of them, and the whole right side of the panel (including the user logoff panel) is also gone. The only part that it works is the desktop... so now I'm going to do your trick.

But would like to see a fix/update for the weather app.

ELP

BubbaLaunch
January 2nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
I also have a intermittent problem since moving to 9.10 from 9.04, often finding my gnome-panels "frozen" after booting. About 50% of the time it boots flawlessly. Initially I would just keep rebooting until I had functional panels.

I have since found that I can restore my frozen panels to almost complete functionality. Only the weather apps will not re-appear on the panel . They are not lost, either when I run these two commands. The weather apps will reappear in their proper position on the panel with the next "successful" boot up.

From a desktop with a "frozen" panel, access a terminal (Ctl-Alt-F1) and enter the command:

$ killall gnome-panel

(The apps on your panels are now in "stealth" mode - invisible, but functional.) Return to the desktop (Ctl-Alt-F7) and open a "Run application" window (Alt-F2) and execute the command;

$ gnome-panel --replace

Your panels and system should be completely functional now (temporarily minus weather apps). Do not use a desktop terminal for the second command - the process will hang in a terminal.

This is not a permanent fix, but I find that I can restore almost completely functionality without having to rebuild all of my weather app panel launchers.

BubbaLaunch
January 2nd, 2010, 06:23 AM
Does the temporary fix in #17 work for anyone else out there?

I have had this "frozen panels" issue since I installed 9.10 in October. I have had as many as 6 successful and 9 unsuccessful reboots in a row. It is definitely an intermittent issue with my pc.

This is about as far as I can go on this bug with my limited skills. Is anyone actually working on this?

I'm willing to provide more information and assist as much as I can...

WeAreTheSiNs
January 7th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks, this worked perfectly :) i was about to go do a system reinstall.
This saved me a bunch of time :)

doas777
January 13th, 2010, 06:49 PM
wow, I would not have guessed that it was the weather applet, though I had begun to suspect that an applet was causing the problem.

that just plain sucks. hope they fix it soon.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/482690

Michael Kealey
January 13th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I'm having the problem described here but I do not have the weather applet. More often than not when I login the gnome-panel is not running. I have to manually start it with a terminal. I've tried the solutions suggested here but they only work for my current session.

Am I the only one having this problem who doesn't have the weather applet?
If there is more info I should post just let me know and I will do it. (I'm new).

doas777
January 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I'm having the problem described here but I do not have the weather applet. More often than not when I login the gnome-panel is not running. I have to manually start it with a terminal. I've tried the solutions suggested here but they only work for my current session.

If there is more info I should post just let me know and I will do it. (I'm new).

what applets do you have running on your panels?
also what is the output of

dmesg | tail

not that I have any specific knowledge of your issue; these are just routine troubleshooting steps.

Michael Kealey
January 15th, 2010, 01:16 AM
also what is the output of

dmesg | tailnot that I have any specific knowledge of your issue; these are just routine troubleshooting steps.

I'm only learning what an applet is, I haven't installed any manually so whatever the default settings/applets are for Karmic Koala is what I have running.

Since yesterday though I have found my own solution to my problem. I just added gnome-panel to the the start-up applications using "System->Preferences->Startup Applications". I'm not sure this is a valid solution but it seems to be working for me for now. If I shouldn't do this let me know. Considering I did this, is submitting the dmesg output worth posting?

doas777
January 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I'm only learning what an applet is, I haven't installed any manually so whatever the default settings/applets are for Karmic Koala is what I have running.

Since yesterday though I have found my own solution to my problem. I just added gnome-panel to the the start-up applications using "System->Preferences->Startup Applications". I'm not sure this is a valid solution but it seems to be working for me for now. If I shouldn't do this let me know. Considering I did this, is submitting the dmesg output worth posting?

well, the dmesg may tell us what went wrong, but no if your happy with it then so be it.

miiichaaaeeel
January 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I got the same problem when I played around screenlets and the weather applet.

I did the same as Michael K and it works.

For what it worth:
laptop:~$ dmesg | tail
[ 226.916159] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 227.068416] [drm] DAC-6: set mode 640x480 0
[ 227.174087] [drm] DAC-6: set mode 640x480 0
[ 227.377642] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 227.519444] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 229.636427] [drm] DAC-6: set mode 640x480 0
[ 230.106800] [drm] DAC-6: set mode 640x480 0
[ 230.729884] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 231.144686] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 1092.547351] sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

Also before I did that, I was starting gnome panel through the terminal and I got that
** (gnome-panel:2743): DEBUG: Adding applet 1.

SheikhAmanAlam
January 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Wow!
Just trying $rm.. removed all my problems.
its wrking fine now.
only you could tell how to step into a terminal session when i couldn't have any option to start terminal.
Thanks a lot once again!!

doas777
January 20th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I got the same problem when I played around screenlets and the weather applet.

I did the same as Michael K and it works.

For what it worth:
laptop:~$ dmesg | tail
[ 226.916159] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 227.068416] [drm] DAC-6: set mode 640x480 0
[ 227.174087] [drm] DAC-6: set mode 640x480 0
[ 227.377642] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 227.519444] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 229.636427] [drm] DAC-6: set mode 640x480 0
[ 230.106800] [drm] DAC-6: set mode 640x480 0
[ 230.729884] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 231.144686] [drm] TV-14: set mode NTSC 480i 0
[ 1092.547351] sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

Also before I did that, I was starting gnome panel through the terminal and I got that
** (gnome-panel:2743): DEBUG: Adding applet 1.

yeah, none of those messages are really related to the issue, afaict.

jenaniston
February 9th, 2010, 09:52 PM
strange im having the same problem
. . .
i dont know wtf to do

Same problem here. I upgraded to 9.10 a few days ago, and every time I boot my machine and log in the GNOME Panel is not properly loaded.
. . .
Is that a 9.10 bug or is it something about GNOME configuration files?

I'm having the problem described here but I do not have the weather applet. . . .

. . . these are just routine troubleshooting steps.

I just noticed there is a package for the gnome desktop called "gdesklets"

Is this a solution or part of the problem (bug) . . . ?

gDesklets is an architecture for "desklets", which are tiny applets
sitting on your desktop in a symbiotic relationship of eye candy and
usefulness.

This package provides desklets for the gDesklets application.

This package contains theses desklets :
. . .
* Hddtemp 0.1
. . .
* Lmsensors 0.8
* LT-hddtemp
. . .
* Volume
* Weather 0.26

phillipjennings5
March 16th, 2010, 05:48 AM
gksudo pkill gnome-panel worked for my thx guys

jamh
March 16th, 2010, 10:34 PM
wow, I would not have guessed that it was the weather applet, though I had begun to suspect that an applet was causing the problem.

that just plain sucks. hope they fix it soon.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/482690

It isn't just a weather applet problem. I'm not running it (never have) and I too have this panel freeze problem after moving to 9.10.

Braytonio
May 14th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Same here, in Debian Sid, same platform. Your suggestion fixed the problem temporarily, and I thank you so much. You rock! Silly question: What does the ampersand in gnome-panel & do?

Desktop Dell Core2 Duo.

at first, try this:

killall gnome-panel
gnome-panel &

And see if it works.

and then

killall gnome-panel
gnome-panel &

SteveM10
May 28th, 2010, 02:11 AM
This fixed the problem for me after MUCH HASSLE looking for this fix. I searched the forums for 'panel lockup', 'karmic panel problem', I didn't think to search for 'weather applet' until I realized that's where the problem was coming from. This needs to be cross referenced. I did find some similar problems in 'Panel not responding' -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1353223&highlight=karmic+panel

I'm going to post a link to this there.

For noobs like me, here's step by step...

You need a terminal to kill the process. (ALT F2 did nothing for me).

Right click the desktop and choose 'Create Launcher'.
Give it a name like Terminal
the command should be 'gnome-terminal'
Click OK

Open the terminal by double-clicking on it.
Determine the Process ID (PID) of the weather app by typing 'ps -A'
The gweather-applet should be on the list, note the number in the first column by it (the PID)
Type kill 9999 (9999 = the PID)
You'll get a notification that the panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME....". Choose to delete the applet from your configuration.

You may get a notification that 'Weather Report has quit unexpectedly and you may reload it - you don't want to do this, choose 'Don't Reload'.

This worked great for me. Your mileage may vary.

Bill

This worked like a charm for me. As a test, I have reinstalled a weather applet to see if the panel loads properly - seems stable after two reboots. If I run into big problems, I'll come back and let y'all know.

~Steve

vault55
May 29th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Im having similar problems in 10.04 after changing the appearance and location of the dock. Now i cant click on anything in the dock except to shut the system down and thats when I get the error "Panel-Not Responding". Also, the panel appears to jump slightly. Any help is appreciated.

SteveM10
August 25th, 2010, 04:10 AM
This worked like a charm for me. As a test, I have reinstalled a weather applet to see if the panel loads properly - seems stable after two reboots. If I run into big problems, I'll come back and let y'all know.

~Steve
No further issues to report. This was the fix for me.