PDA

View Full Version : Do you use games

LinuxFox
October 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
If you play video games, do you use game reviews for purchases, or do you don't. By don't I mean other ways such as renting or just buying the game and playing it.

For me, I don't use game reviews. My reason, whenever I read a review, and then play the reviewed game, I can't help but disagree with them whether it's a good review or a bad review. I just usually buy a game if it's something I have a feeling I'll like.

What do you do when it comes to video games and reviews?

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I just buy them. The best finds are ones I made on my own.

LinuxFox
October 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I just buy them. The best finds are ones I made on my own.Same for me at times. I remember buying an FPS that was fun, and I never seen a review on it or heard of it before buying it.

CharmyBee
October 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
No. Mainstream professional game reviews are a joke, basically a second layer of advertising if it's a big brand, and a pathetic laydown if it's not regardless of innovation. Very polarized.

dragos240
October 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
What about user reviews?

Dimitriid
October 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Only the really bad ones ( 5/10 and below ). As long as I can see the screenshots and read about the basic mechanics, I tend to ignore the critical judgement opinions for the most part: I have very little faith on sites that ignore flaws when doing their rating and they really showed me their true colors whit Grand Theft Auto 4 perfect reviews which was ridiculous.

CharmyBee
October 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
That depends. Give me a 25+ gamer who knows what he is playing over a 14+ who plays for the graphics/cool ego protagonist.

kvarley
October 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I watch gameplay videos/read synopsis and look at screenshots and other stuff.

Largely reviews are bias to make you buy the game. If a friend has the game, I'll borrow it and try before I buy.

LinuxFox
October 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM
No. Mainstream professional game reviews are a joke, basically a second layer of advertising if it's a big brand, and a pathetic laydown if it's not regardless of innovation. Very polarized.I actually agree with this, that's actually why I don't bother with them anymore.

dragos240: User reviews are fine, I meant what CharmyBee said about game reviews. Also, there's a reason why I put other, if there's a different reason than just yes or no. ;)

vitium: I also watch game play videos when I'm unsure and try games, whether it's demos or renting them.

JDShu
October 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I use gamerankings.com in the same way that I use rottentomatoes, I will consider the top couple of games for purchase and do some research into them.

coldReactive
October 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Since I know all about the RPG Genre, I just get the game, and if it doesn't appeal to me, it gets sold to a used game store.

I don't play any other genre besides RPG.

blueshiftoverwatch
October 19th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I thought that Warhammer 40,000 Fire Warrior (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/warhammer40000firewarrior?q=Fire%20warrior) was a pretty good game. But it only got a 65/100 from Metacritic, which equates to a mid D on a school grading scale. But I happen to agree more with the user reviews who gave it an 83/100, or a B.

Not only that but there have been many other examples. So no, I generally don't judge games, books, or movies based on their reviews. Whether it's a from a for-profit publication, family member, or friend. Because what's entertaining for one person may be extremely boring for another.

edin9
October 19th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I only own a Dreamcast so not really.

Bölvağur
October 19th, 2009, 04:29 AM
youtube is my reviewer. you can guess how the entire game is after seeing some one play it for few minutes, ofcourse it will not show you everything, but well enough for you to fill in the blanks.

also talking to dedicated gamers that have played the game give a very good estimate of the game.

reviews are normally made by people that arent good at games nor have education in game theory. like there was this one website that gave every game that had its own music high grade, but any game that didnt a low one.... some will do that with graphics too.

JDShu
October 19th, 2009, 04:59 AM
reviews are normally made by people that arent good at games nor have education in game theory. like there was this one website that gave every game that had its own music high grade, but any game that didnt a low one.... some will do that with graphics too.

I am certain you do not need to have an education in game theory in order to qualify for writing video game reviews o.O