PDA

View Full Version : Is this computer ubuntu compatable?

xequence
February 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM
(Though, please note, I dont think it is an athlon, I think it is accually a sempron, but if it is an athlon it would be better :P)

This is the computer I am considering buying. As you might not know, my current computer doesent have enough room for two OSes currently... So, I would like if my next computer supported ubuntu.

And anyone know if it supports FreeBSD? Or OSx86?

CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) 64 (3400+)
CPU Socket: Socket 754
Chipset: VIAR Chipset:
North bridge: VIA K8M800
- 800MHz HyperTransport interface
- Integrated UniChrome2 3D/2D graphics controller
South bridge: VIA VT8237:
- 16-bit "Ultra V-Link" host controller
- 533MB/sec. V-Link interface
Supports single channel (64-bit wide) memory interface
Two 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
Supports up to 2GB using PC1600 (DDR200), PC2100 (DDR266), PC2700 (DDR333)
or PC3200 (DDR400) unbuffered DDR SDRAM DIMM
Memory: Supports single channel (64-bit wide) memory interface
Two 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
Supports up to 2GB using PC1600 (DDR200), PC2100 (DDR266), PC2700 (DDR333)
or PC3200 (DDR400) unbuffered DDR SDRAM DIMM
BIOS: Award BIOS
4Mbit flash memory
Power Management: Wake-On-Events include:
- Wake-On-PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse
- Wake-On-USB Keyboard/Mouse
- Wake-On-Ring (external modem)
- Wake-On-LAN
- RTC timer to power-on the system
CPU Overheat Protection function monitors CPU temperature and fan during
system boot-up
Audio: AC97 2.2 extension compliant codec
S/PDIF-in/out compressed digital output
6-channel audio output via software
LAN: Fast ethernet LAN Phy supports 10/100Mbps
Fully compliant to IEEE 802.3 (10BASE-T) and 802.3u (100BASE-TX) standards
Graphics: Integrated UniChrome2 3D/2D graphics controller
Integrated S3 Graphics with 2D/3D acceleration
Supports 2D acceleration features
Supports 3D acceleration features
IDE: Supports ATA/33, ATA/66, ATA/100 and ATA/133 hard drives
UDMA Modes 3, 4, 5 and 6 Enhanced IDE (data transfer rate up to 133MB/sec.)

Serial ATA with RAID: Supports two SATA (Serial ATA) interfaces which are
compliant with SATA 1.0 specification (1.5Gbps interface)
Supports RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD
IEEE 1394: VIA VT6307 PCI 1394 integrated host controller
Supports two 100/200/400 Mb/sec ports
AGP: Supports AGP 8x up to 2133MB/sec. and AGP 4x up to 1066MB/sec.
bandwidth for 3D graphics applications
Rear Panel I/O Ports: 1 mini-DIN-6 PS/2 mouse port
1 mini-DIN-6 PS/2 keyboard port
1 DB-9 serial port
1 DB-25 parallel port
1 DB-15 VGA port
4 USB 2.0/1.1 ports
1 RJ45 LAN port
1 IEEE 1394 port
3 audio jacks: line-in, line-out and mic-in
2 connectors for 4 additional external USB 2.0/1.1 ports
1 connector for 1 external IEEE 1394 port
1 connector for 1 external serial port
1 front audio connector for external line-out and mic-in jacks
1 CD-in internal audio connector
1 S/PDIF-in/out connector
1 IrDA connector
2 Serial ATA connectors
2 IDE connectors
1 floppy connector
2 ATX power supply connectors
2 fan connectors
Expansion Slots: 1 AGP slot
3 PCI slots
1 CNR slot (optional)
PCB: 4 layers, microATX form factor
24.5 cm x 23 cm (9.65 in. x 9.06 in.)

WildTangent
February 13th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I don't think you can get 3D acceleration with the integrated graphics.

As said in your other thread on this matter, you're much better off going with socket 939. Saving your money just a little longer will pay off much more when you conside you'll still be able to use your parts if you upgrade something. Socket 754 is officially obsolete now. 939 will be around for a while yet. Getting a PCI-E motherboard, even if it's one with integrated graphics to start off with would be much better. I'm not sure if the nvidia drivers support them yet, but the nvidia integrated chipset is really good. It has a Geforce 6100 or 6150 depending on which one you get.

The point I am trying to make is, if you have to, wait a bit. Don't rush to get this if you're going to be stuck in an upgradeability dead-end later on.

-Wild

bonzodog
February 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
i would second that opinion. the motherboard isn't a great one. try and see if you can get a socket 939 with AMD 64 3400+ and nforce 4 chipsets for sound & LAN, and an AGP port. Add to that 1GB RAM. If possible then add an Nvidia 256MB Geforce series card to it, pref AGP 8x as PCI-E support seems a little cagey. I would then look forward to introducing you to the Ubuntu Dapper 64 club!!

WildTangent
February 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM
i would second that opinion. the motherboard isn't a great one. try and see if you can get a socket 939 with AMD 64 3400+ and nforce 4 chipsets for sound & LAN, and an AGP port. Add to that 1GB RAM. If possible then add an Nvidia 256MB Geforce series card to it, pref AGP 8x as PCI-E support seems a little cagey. I would then look forward to introducing you to the Ubuntu Dapper 64 club!!
That's getting quite expensive, and AGP is on the way out. I believe he only has around $300 to spend. AGP is more expensive than PCI-E by the way...

-Wild

xequence
February 13th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I don't think you can get 3D acceleration with the integrated graphics.

As said in your other thread on this matter, you're much better off going with socket 939. Saving your money just a little longer will pay off much more when you conside you'll still be able to use your parts if you upgrade something. Socket 754 is officially obsolete now. 939 will be around for a while yet. Getting a PCI-E motherboard, even if it's one with integrated graphics to start off with would be much better. I'm not sure if the nvidia drivers support them yet, but the nvidia integrated chipset is really good. It has a Geforce 6100 or 6150 depending on which one you get.

The point I am trying to make is, if you have to, wait a bit. Don't rush to get this if you're going to be stuck in an upgradeability dead-end later on.

And I plan to get a socket 939, which is what I originally asked them in the email, how much would it cost to get a socket 939 instead with it.

Wow, that one expensive computer...

That's getting quite expensive, and AGP is on the way out. I believe he only has around $300 to spend. AGP is more expensive than PCI-E by the way...

I have 600$ to spend I think.

I plan to get the computer, a monitor, 512MB RAM, 128MB nvidia card, and another hard drive.

Probably not at once though.

So, I should ask to get:

socket 939 (as I was planning to)
pci-e slot

And this thread was a "is this compatable" not a "recomend me a computer" thingy, so thats why I posted this instead of using the other one :P And now I have the full specs.

WildTangent
February 13th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Okie dokie then... Well, Nvidia chipsets are generally very compatible, so why not get the one with the integrated 6100 (you can upgrade later, they have PCI-E slots) from Asus, who are generally a linux-friendly manufacturer, and have a good reputation for quality parts. As I said, I'm not sure if the 6100 IGP is supported by the Nv driver, you'll probably need the official nvidia-glx driver. Get a Western Digital or Seagate hard drive, they're nice and quiet and don't fail unexpectedly :) Don't be afraid to get a SATA drive, they work in linux with most chipset-based SATA controllers.

-Wild

Jason_25
February 13th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I'd like to second this opinion. Don't settle for a sketchy motherboard. Also, having fast, reliable memory is important. Especially with an A64. In many AMD motherboard forums you won't find help unless you are running compatible memory.

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Value RAM is ok as long as you buy a name brand and do not go generic. (Corsair makes very good value RAM.) I have to agree with the others that if you can swing a socket 939 with a Nvidia Nforce 4 chipset, you would be better off. I can tell you for certain that DFI and Gigabyte make very Linux compatible motherboards along with Asus. Any of those brands would be a good buy. You could install a slightly cheaper PATA drive but there just is not that much of a price difference vs SATA so you would just be better off going with SATA.

TechSonic
February 14th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Biostar K7 works good with Ubuntu.

imagine
February 14th, 2006, 01:33 AM
I didn't make any good experiences with nForce-boards, they seemed more about leading edge than stability and reliability to me, so I'd go with a Via or better yet SiS-chipset. Unfortunately there are very few mainbaords for the latter.
Then be sure to get a board with a PCI-E slot, if the integrated graphic is not enough for you. Only a few manufacturers still make AGP cards nowadays, whereas on the other side there is a huge demand for them by people who want to upgrade, which bulls the market.

bonzodog
February 14th, 2006, 02:05 AM
I have to admit I did have a €1000 budget for this. Admittedly, i got it about a month before 939 was released, thus it is a socket 754. The board is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum though, very good quality, and it has the Nforce 3 chipset with GBLan and RealTek Sound on board. I bought the system as a kit (to build myself) from http://www.komplett.ie. They are a european company. The box itself cost about €750 all told, and originally came with an ATI graphics card, which i removed and replaced with an nvidia GeForce 6200GT.
So this is probably a little out of your league price wise, but it's a solid 5 year (at least) investment.

poofyhairguy
February 14th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Looks good with that VIA chipset.

Any video card based on S3 is going to royally suck though.

If you need to price a good AGP socket 939 motherboard, then use the one I got:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247001

100% compatible.