PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Customize workspaces under gnome

corsakh
October 17th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Hello,

Is there an easy way to customize workspaces under gnome? I'd like to have different panels, icons and backgrounds if possible.

Thank you.

quixote
October 18th, 2009, 03:21 AM
As far as I know, the short answer is "no." The gnome developers apparently feel that would just confuse us poor users . . . and for some reason Shuttleworth lets them get away with it. (Yes, I'm very unhappy about it. How'd you guess?)

The closest thing I've found to a workaround is something called "devilspie" and it's graphical interface, "gdevilspie". Both can be installed using synaptic. It doesn't do everything you want, but at least you get some control over window position and a few other things.

corsakh
October 18th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Ye, thanks. I have looked through the program. Its similar to what Compiz offers in Windows Rules.

Maybe someone knows how to be able to set a specific windows on top of Gnome panels like you can do it in Windows? And nope, I am looking to auto hide a panel. I just want to be able to drag a window over it.

UPDATE: Found a way to put windows over panels using compiz. Except for the top one. Top panel stays on top of everything. Any way to fix this?