PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mouse vs. trackpad

mjp29
October 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Mouse works great on Ubuntu laptop.

However, trackpad is unusable [it seems like trackpad is hyper-sensitive]

I don't use the trackpad much, but my wife tried using it and said "what's up with the trackpad now" because the last time she used this computer it had ms windows on it.

Niko Johnson
October 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
bump... i would like to know the anwser to this question too. i hear a lot about this happening and id like to know why or how to fix it.. i hate it when stupid errors like this change the way new people to ubuntu feel about the O.S... my dad is too old school and will take an error like this and make it a big deal on why he doesnt like ubuntu and why i should quit making so many changes on his computer!... daddy just doesnt know any better :)

mjp29
October 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
bump... i would like to know the anwser to this question too. i hear a lot about this happening and id like to know why or how to fix it.. i hate it when stupid errors like this change the way new people to ubuntu feel about the O.S... my dad is too old school and will take an error like this and make it a big deal on why he doesnt like ubuntu and why i should quit making so many changes on his computer!... daddy just doesnt know any better :)

yes, if this is a common problem then some info. on it or bringing it to someones attention that has the technical skills to fix it would be great

there's nothing like a windows user walking up to an ubuntu laptop and saying why does the trackpad on this thing not work

tarps87
October 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
You may be able to set the sensitivity using a program called GSynaptics, if not and you are using 9.04+ you will be using hal and will need to either edit or create a fdi file.
This is a fairly good guide:
http://www.bhagwad.com/blog/2009/technology/configure-alps-synaptics-touchpad-in-ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope.html

Just post back if you need anything explaining

ajgreeny
October 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Go to System ->Preferences ->Mouse touchpad tab and you can disable the pad if you want, but probably more importantly disable mouse clicks, which I always found to be the biggest problem; a mere touch at the wrong moment started a program or opened a file, and made it very difficult to use the pad on my old Acer Travelmate 2200. Got rid of mouse clicks and I can now use it easily

mjp29
October 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
You may be able to set the sensitivity using a program called GSynaptics, if not and you are using 9.04+ you will be using hal and will need to either edit or create a fdi file.
This is a fairly good guide:
http://www.bhagwad.com/blog/2009/technology/configure-alps-synaptics-touchpad-in-ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope.html

Just post back if you need anything explaining

For some reason the system completely locked up when using trackpad (streaming was going on at same time) and regardless of all the tries to come out of it (ctrl-alt-sys rq type in these letters slowly) would not bring it out [as documented in another post i made today].

It was the first time that Ubuntu ever locked up on me.

FYI: upon reboot trackpad worked perfectly without any adjustments, though i did disable the trackpad ability to click