PDA

View Full Version : My Life Is Nerdy

sdlynx
October 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hey nerd!

There is an old thread about this that I made quite a while back, but me and my friend have created a website (http://mylifeisnerdy.co.cc) similar to MLIA and we're trying to get other people to know about it. I figured Ubuntu Forums would be a great place to post it =D. Check it out? And suggestions if you wish.

SDLynx

Niko Johnson
October 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I like the layout. did you use a open source template or did you make it yourself.. also im trying to make a site where people can post what ever they want on there but dont know how i should go amongst doing that... did you use egroupware? did you write it in PHP any help would be cool, im writting a little website for my dad, him and a lot of his buddys are in a car club and im making that club a site.... i used a O.S template but dont know how to make it where the public can post or login in or register... i havent put it on my server yet i dont want to untill i can get that figured out. can you help?

xuCGC002
October 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Reminds me a lot of FML. It's a pretty good idea.

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I like the layout. did you use a open source template or did you make it yourself.. also im trying to make a site where people can post what ever they want on there but dont know how i should go amongst doing that... did you use egroupware? did you write it in PHP any help would be cool, im writting a little website for my dad, him and a lot of his buddys are in a car club and im making that club a site.... i used a O.S template but dont know how to make it where they can the public can post or login in or register... i havent put it on my server yet i dont want to untill i can get that figured out. can you help?

You'll need a mysql database, knowledge of php, and how to make a html form, and knowledge of either cookies or php $_SESSION

sdlynx
October 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I like the layout. did you use a open source template or did you make it yourself.. also im trying to make a site where people can post what ever they want on there but dont know how i should go amongst doing that... did you use egroupware? did you write it in PHP any help would be cool, im writting a little website for my dad, him and a lot of his buddys are in a car club and im making that club a site.... i used a O.S template but dont know how to make it where the public can post or login in or register... i havent put it on my server yet i dont want to untill i can get that figured out. can you help?

Yes indeed we wrote the layout on our own. I hate templates because when you want to change something it's so much harder, and I already have the knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL so it isn't too hard.

If you'd like send me a link for the site you're working on and I'll see what I can do.

Reminds me a lot of FML. It's a pretty good idea.

Thanks, and yep that was kind of the goal.

You'll need a mysql database, knowledge of php, and how to make a html form, and knowledge of either cookies or php $_SESSION

Pretty much yes. Cookies and sessions aren't all that different from each other to use, but sessions are more secure.

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yes indeed. I don't like cookies generally.

I suppose you could make a global log in thing using html only, but that would be huge mistake. Unless it validates your IP, but that's easy to fake too.

WilliamTall8
October 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ha ha, nice work with the AdSense, I accidentally clicked on the action figures google link... How much did I make you, 25c? :) Don't spend it all in one place...

Cute website, but too dark for my eyes. I like colors. You SHOULD know that statistically surfers prefer white background. See the leading websites around: Facebook, Youtunbe etc.

Also, nerds like babes in bikinis... add some of those so people will come back a little more... lol!
:biggrin:

ukripper
October 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM

You need Drupal - http://drupal.org/ and is not difficult to setup. even a non-programmer can do it.

sdlynx
October 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Ha ha, nice work with the AdSense, I accidentally clicked on the action figures google link... How much did I make you, 25c? :) Don't spend it all in one place...

Cute website, but too dark for my eyes. I like colors. You SHOULD know that statistically surfers prefer white background. See the leading websites around: Facebook, Youtunbe etc.

Also, nerds like babes in bikinis... add some of those so people will come back a little more... lol!

haha trust me I won't. Adsense needs to pay more for impressions, I mean who really clicks on internet ads....? Especially when the ad is surrounded by a border saying "This is an ad."

Also, for the color part, that sounds like a good idea. I made the default theme white and sky blue-y, but theres always different themes to choose from.

Last, I shall take note of that xD

madjr
October 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM

no accident there u wanted those aktionfiguares! muahaha
25c to a good cause xD

also u can change theme at the top

yea a few hot "nerdy" babes <3

starcannon
October 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hey nerd!

There is an old thread about this that I made quite a while back, but me and my friend have created a website (http://mylifeisnerdy.co.cc) similar to MLIA and we're trying to get other people to know about it. I figured Ubuntu Forums would be a great place to post it =D. Check it out? And suggestions if you wish.

SDLynx

Pretty nice site. I like that it's easy to read and not loaded down with flash. I'll bookmark it.

sdlynx
October 16th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Pretty nice site. I like that it's easy to read and not loaded down with flash. I'll bookmark it.

Great! I'm trying to get it out to everybody so that it can get more of an audience. We figured that people would enjoy the site if we could just get people to know about it.

Moral: Tell your friends.

sdlynx
October 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
bump (for great justice!)

-grubby
October 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
As long as you want feedback, here I go!

Why do the URLs end in ".php"? NOT clean.

Also see Cool URIs don't change (http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI)

sdlynx
October 20th, 2009, 03:03 AM
As long as you want feedback, here I go!

Why do the URLs end in ".php"? NOT clean.

Also see Cool URIs don't change (http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI)

Well, I think that considering the only necessary url to remember is the index page, and every other page is easily navigable from there, there's no real need for that "cleanliness".

sdlynx
October 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
bump (trying to get more audience/users)