PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel angry at younger generations?

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hm. In schools now, in the UK, kids are going to get 2 GCSES for maths. They are going to be taught programming at the same time. I hate them for this. I had to spend my own free time to do a extra maths GCSE, and there was no programming at all until my current level, and even now, it's like sitting in a room of people that constantly need their hands held.

I wish I was born a few years later. Then I'd get a extra GCSE without doing as much work outside of the lessons, and I'd get taught programming for real. All I know is self taught, no one has been there to help me. So I don't see why they should get any.

OpenGuard
October 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Why would you be angry to those who've this opportunity, instead of those who made this happen only now ( not a few years ago ) ?

steeleyuk
October 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
No point whinging about it. What about those people from the generation or two before you, who didn't even get the opportunity to use computers in school or college?

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Because they don't deserve it. They are going to be a better choice for employers(not that I want one, self-employed), and for universities.

Swagman
October 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Jealousy is an immature emotion.

Many of us could spout comments about how WE didn't even have pocket calculators at school let alone computers.

And also sit on plastic chairs in demountable buildings (with no air con) in 39c

OpenGuard
October 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Because they don't deserve it. They are going to be a better choice for employers(not that I want one, self-employed), and for universities.

Envy ...

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
And? It's wrong to be envious of people because they are more likely to get the same job you apply to, despite the fact the only thing they've done is be born a few years later?

OpenGuard
October 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
And? It's wrong to be envious of people because they are more likely to get the same job you apply to, despite the fact the only thing they've done is be born a few years later ?

Dot replaced with question mark - answer: Yes!

RiceMonster
October 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
People are always angry at the younger generation.

Also, I hate biased polls with specific answers. Is it hard to just use options like these?
Yes
No
Unsure

Npl
October 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I dont think the computer courses at school are worth a dime, atleast the resulting certificates are`nt. If you're self-thought chances are that you beat them in competence and spent less time learning it.

The thing that pisses me off is the weight some stupid certificates have for some employers. If you sit and talk to a programmer for 10 minutes you get a way better idea of whats he`s capable of.. instead of looking of some courses he managed to slip through.

NoaHall: and get off my lawn you ungrateful kid

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I'm also angry at my own generation for being so stupid, and for previous generations for getting to pioneer in great advances. Maybe I should take some calming pills or something.

Well, I hope I'm the better choice, because the rest of my "programming" class seem to be lost, and should've done something like art instead.

Kingsley
October 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I'm also angry at my own generation for being so stupid, and for previous generations for getting to pioneer in great advances. Maybe I should take some calming pills or something.

Well, I hope I'm the better choice, because the rest of my "programming" class seem to be lost, and should've done something like art instead.
If you do get the job, I hope your boss is younger than you. :lolflag:

Nepherte
October 16th, 2009, 02:01 PM
And how is being born a couple years late their fault? All you can do is make sure you can't blame yourself and work hard enough to get where you want to get. There's absolutely no need to look at others. Make sure you deserve it and you'll get there.

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Haha. I've got a job. So I don't care, but I just like to feel angry, anyway. Good old hatred. You can't go wrong with hatred. Well, you can go wrong with it, but nevermind...

amingv
October 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I hope Einstein, Newton and Babbage don't feel angry at me, but deep inside I know they're thinking I'm wasting a life they could have put to use.

Martje_001
October 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Be happy for them!

mejy
October 16th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Are you seriously angry about something this specific? There are far greater inequalities out there - people who've received bad teachers, people who've been sent to a bad school, people who've never had the chance of a proper education, people who've grown up in oppressive regimes, people who've been affected by crippling diseases.

Missing a couple of GCSE classes counts for absolutely nothing - if you're bummed you didn't get the chance to study it, take up an A-Level, diploma, degree or GCSE at the appropriate institution. Otherwise look for a job on your own merits, not on some relatively unsubstantial qualification. Similarly, the interest level of people in your class has nothing to do with the GCSEs they've done before - there's no reason to expect they'd be more interested if you were in the same class next year.

Calm down, appreciate the opportunities you've been given and don't get bogged down on irrelevancies.

nmccrina
October 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Programming isn't something where you can just do the classes and be competent. My system architecture professor told me that 75% of what you need to know is self taught. So the only ones who are going to benefit are the ones like you that are passionate about it.

Also, if the intro programming classes here in the US are any indication, they're probably doing something really dumb like Alice or BlueJ that you wouldn't want to do anyway. :)

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
It's Visual Basic 6. You know, the one they stopped supporting last year, and doesn't have any good syntax learning parts. It's like using pseudocode. So yeah, I'm a lot better off than the ones at my school at least.

I've taken up A-levels(Maths, Further Maths, Computing, Physics and Chemistry in spare time), it doesn't gain me the knowledge they'll learn though.

doas777
October 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Monty Python has already said all that i would for this thread:
http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

Bachstelze
October 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Haha. I've got a job. So I don't care, but I just like to feel angry, anyway. Good old hatred. You can't go wrong with hatred. Well, you can go wrong with it, but nevermind...

Thread closed. Hatred is not welcome here.