PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Streaming audio to pc in your local network

Cebonet
October 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I made some search, but I could not find what I was looking for.

My problem is that I have a laptop with ubuntu/windows XP (dual), and I want to stream the audio from its sound card to to my destop pc (ubuntu).

The reason for why I want to do this is that my desktop pc have some good speakers and I dont want to use cables

It actually sounds easy, but I couldnt do it, hope you guys have a answer:)

CatKiller
October 16th, 2009, 01:42 AM
If you're using PulseAudio on both, then I understand that it's possible to do, possibly by telling the PulseAudio on the computer with the speakers to use the PulseAudio server on the computer with the sound, but I've not done it myself.

Cebonet
October 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks, I installed pulseaudio manager and pulseaudio device chooser on both machines and it worked:)

But the sound lags, is there a way to make the streaming faster. I am using my wireless router to connect to my desktop pc, that should be without lags right?

CatKiller
October 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have no idea. As I said, I've never done it.

EDIT: Although it does occur to me that there may well be some latency involved. I seem to recall an option of looping back the audio stream so that the two sources stay synchronised.

hwttdz
December 3rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Cebonet, any chance you can give a more detailed description of exactly what you did?