PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Thunderbird mail questions

mjp29
October 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I'm trying Thunderbird mail and like it. I would like to know 2 things

1 - how can I make digital photos self compress in Thunderbird (or choose the size that will be sent) without affecting the original size of original dig. photo file in a folder (only want to email compressed versions of these dig. photos)

2 - when i click or select a group of dig. photos and right click to send I only get option to send them to evolution mail. how do I tell Ubuntu to send them to Thunderbird mail (or atleast make it an option too)

fooman
October 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM
not sure on question one...but for #2, have you tried making thunderbird your default mail application?

go to system > preferences > preferred applications > mail reader

change to thunderbird.

hope that helps.

Rex Bouwense
October 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I have used Thunderbird in Windows and am currently using it in Ubuntu. I got used to a routine along time ago and have used it ever since. I would copy the pictures that I was going to attach to a folder that I set up and resize them there. That way the originals were left intact and when the folder got too full that I couldn't find what I wanted I just deleted it and started over. I am sure that there is a techie way to do what you want and perhaps one of them might be reading and they can tell us both the right way to do it.

mjp29
October 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM
not sure on question one...but for #2, have you tried making thunderbird your default mail application?

go to system > preferences > preferred applications > mail reader

change to thunderbird.

hope that helps.

This solution seems to only work in certain conditions. I think when surfing the net with Firefox and click an email address it will make Thunderbird open. However, if I click the small envelope icon at very top of desktop it still takes me to Evolution mail.

Any ideas on how to make the little icon default to Thunderbird. I did try to right click the icon->properties but couldn't figure out how to change the command by browsing because i didn't know where to browse to to locate Thunderbird.

mjp29
October 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I have used Thunderbird in Windows and am currently using it in Ubuntu. I got used to a routine along time ago and have used it ever since. I would copy the pictures that I was going to attach to a folder that I set up and resize them there. That way the originals were left intact and when the folder got too full that I couldn't find what I wanted I just deleted it and started over. I am sure that there is a techie way to do what you want and perhaps one of them might be reading and they can tell us both the right way to do it.

From what I'm gathering here, there may not be a way to resize photos on the fly in Thunderbird. I suppose this should be a request made to the people that make Thunderbird and not a request that is appropriate for this Ubuntu forum since Ubuntu community works on making Evolution mail better.

fooman
October 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Any ideas on how to make the little icon default to Thunderbird. I did try to right click the icon->properties but couldn't figure out how to change the command by browsing because i didn't know where to browse to to locate Thunderbird.

ahh, the little evolution icon in the top panel?....one of the first things i did after installing ubuntu was removing that icon from my panel.

i then proceeded to uninstall evolution from my system, since i also use only thunderbird for my mail. ...if you decide to do the same, just be careful NOT to remove the package: "evolution-data-server-common" ...that one will take a bunch of other packages with it, some of which i am sure are needed. i have completely removed all other packages whose names begin with "evolution". no ill effects as a result, that i can see.

about changing the icon to work with thunderbird....why not just remove the evolution icon (right-click > remove from panel) and replace it with a thunderbird icon (go to applications > internet... right-click on mozilla thunderbird > add this launcher to panel) ?

hope that helps.

mjp29
October 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
ahh, the little evolution icon in the top panel?....one of the first things i did after installing ubuntu was removing that icon from my panel.

i then proceeded to uninstall evolution from my system, since i also use only thunderbird for my mail. ...if you decide to do the same, just be careful NOT to remove the package: "evolution-data-server-common" ...that one will take a bunch of other packages with it, some of which i am sure are needed. i have completely removed all other packages whose names begin with "evolution". no ill effects as a result, that i can see.

about changing the icon to work with thunderbird....why not just remove the evolution icon (right-click > remove from panel) and replace it with a thunderbird icon (go to applications > internet... right-click on mozilla thunderbird > add this launcher to panel) ?

hope that helps.

You have answered my question(s) perfectly and I thank you. I am now marking this thread as solved.