PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] harddrive replacement?

stoneofshadow
October 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
if i put a new harddrive into my computer to replace the old one will there still be any viruses? i can install an operating system again but i want to know if any viruses can be anywhere else.

sandyd
October 15th, 2009, 10:07 PM
if i put a new harddrive into my computer to replace the old one will there still be any viruses? i can install an operating system again but i want to know if any viruses can be anywhere else.
some viruses can be in the BIOS of your computer, but yes, changing the hard drive should remove all viruses.

|Mitch|
October 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Replacing a hard drive is kind of taking the hard road just to get rid of viruses.

If you're needing more space or moving from a 7200rpm to 10,000rpm drive I can understand the switch.

But I hope you wouldn't be asking to switch just to rid yourself of viruses, there are much easier ways to get rid of them.

Paqman
October 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Don't waste your money on a new hard drive. Just boot into your LiveCD and format the whole drive, then reinstall.

djbon2112
October 15th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Don't waste your money on a new hard drive. Just boot into your LiveCD and format the whole drive, then reinstall.

BACK UP ANYTHING IMPORTANT FIRST!

(Sorry, sometimes it has to be said!)

I think we need a little more clarification on your situation, OP. What kind of virus did you get? What happened to the computer? There are many MANY better options that simply getting a new HDD!

Sef
October 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM
BACK UP ANYTHING IMPORTANT FIRST!

(Sorry, sometimes it has to be said!)

I think we need a little more clarification on your situation, OP. What kind of virus did you get? What happened to the computer? There are many MANY better options that simply getting a new HDD!

+1. Also if the virus is in a file on your hard drive, you could possibly back it up, and reinstall it when you put your files on your new hard drive.

yanceypd
October 16th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I agree , don't backup anything you will be wasting your time. Fresh install after formating should work. Trash anything you can live without.:)

Bondy
October 16th, 2009, 12:45 AM
one thing that hasnt been checked is this a Linux virus or a windows virus and what is being affected by the virus?

If its a windows virus it shouldnt affect your Linux if your dual booting unless you run the file or a program thats infected under wine and even then unless its root but even then the payload wold most likely be coded to attack a windows system so shouldnt affect Linux