PDA

View Full Version : 8.04, upgrading to 0.22

SiHa
October 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
My master BE/FE is Ubuntu 8.04.1 + MythTV 0.21 (Not fixes, I think)(?).

When 0.22 is finally released, I would like to upgrade so that I can attach my new VDPAU capable 9.10 FE. But I really don't want to mess with the Kernel or anything else, as it's taken along time to get things working just right, and I've seen various problems reported with my hardware (specifically Nova-T-500) and later releases.

Will it be a simple matter to just upgrade Myth? Please talk slowly if it is in any way complicated or I need to enable other repo's or anything - never done anything like that before.

TIA,

Simon

tgm4883
October 15th, 2009, 05:34 PM
My master BE/FE is Ubuntu 8.04.1 + MythTV 0.21 (Not fixes, I think)(?).

When 0.22 is finally released, I would like to upgrade so that I can attach my new VDPAU capable 9.10 FE. But I really don't want to mess with the Kernel or anything else, as it's taken along time to get things working just right, and I've seen various problems reported with my hardware (specifically Nova-T-500) and later releases.

Will it be a simple matter to just upgrade Myth? Please talk slowly if it is in any way complicated or I need to enable other repo's or anything - never done anything like that before.

TIA,

Simon

MythTV 0.22 is not supported on 8.04. This is because the QT version in 8.04 is not high enough. You could try backporting QT, and then using a 8.10 package of MythTV 0.22, but thats pretty unsupported.

SiHa
October 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Now that's not what I wanted to hear:frown:
8.04 = LTS, so I assumed I could stick with it for a while. I had seen the stuff about requiring QT4, but again I assumed that MythTV would upgrade this as a dependancy.
I've had a stable system for almost a year now (although still having to tweak avery now an again to counter some new problem).
I'm really going to have to go back to square 1 and install 9.10 if I want 0.22 without a whole load of messing?
Should keep me busy until Christmas...

Thanks for setting me straight - even if it's not the news I wanted.

tgm4883
October 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
8.04 = LTS, so I assumed I could stick with it for a while. I had seen the stuff about requiring QT4, but again I assumed that MythTV would upgrade this as a dependancy.
I've had a stable system for almost a year now (although still having to tweak avery now an again to counter some new problem).
I'm really going to have to go back to square 1 and install 9.10 if I want 0.22 without a whole load of messing?

MythTV will upgrade dependencies, but only if the dependency is in the repository.

LTS is Long term support, but keep in mind that doesn't mean you will get the new versions of things.

SiHa
October 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I see your point.
I guess I just don't know enough about the nuts'n'bolts under the bonnet, so make daft assumptions.
Live & Learn.

superm1
October 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
What I would recommend you do is grab an extra hard drive and do a 9.10 install on it. Experiment for a bit and see what's still broke and needs work for you. You might (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised to find lots of stuff working OOTB that required lots of configuration previously.

If you find everything working, nuke your old install. If not, no harm, no loss :)

SiHa
October 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Hi Superm1
Thanks, yes, that's the plan. Either that or repartition the 8.04 drive, then point Grub at the original install by default while tinkering (keep the Wife happy). As all my recordings and database backup are on a separate drive anyway, I'm only using a fraction of the OS drive, so I think this is probably what I'll do.

To be fair I have just had a surprisingly easy time of things installing 9.10 on my new frontend. For testing I did a full install (BE/FE). I had VDPAU accelerated BBC-HD, with audio over HDMI, about 10 minutes after doing the channel scan. So I'm hopeful that the OOB experience with 9.10 might be quite a good one.

PS, forgot to add. A big thank-you to you and all the other devs for all the hard-work. It's looking great!

larsolav
October 15th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Hi there,
Not to hijack the post or anything, but I am in a similar situation. I am running 8.04 BE/FE on old noisy and very hot hardware and am going to use 9.10 and MythTV 0.22 as an opportunity to upgrade my hardware.

I am wondering if I do this on my 8.04/0.21 system:

mysqldump -u mythtv -p mythconverg recorded > recorded.sql

will the new 9.10/0.22 system be able to do this:

mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg < recorded.sql

And if not, what is the best way to transfer the recordings database information when scrapping a 8.04/0.21 system for a 9.10/022 system?

PS, I totally agree with Simon's PS above!

Lars

novellahub
October 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hi there,
Not to hijack the post or anything, but I am in a similar situation. I am running 8.04 BE/FE on old noisy and very hot hardware and am going to use 9.10 and MythTV 0.22 as an opportunity to upgrade my hardware.

And if not, what is the best way to transfer the recordings database information when scrapping a 8.04/0.21 system for a 9.10/022 system?

Lars

I have used this in the past with success:

http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html

I am not sure about migrating from 0.21 to 0.22 though since I have not attempted it yet.

jyavenard
October 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Enable the Ubuntu backport repository ; then you can install Qt4...

From there, you could compile mythtv yourself on 8.04.. it isn't too hard.

Jean-Yves

jyavenard
October 18th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hi there,

Lars

Read the mythtv wiki on how to backup and restore the mythtv database. There's a script that ships with mythtv for that .

If you change anything on the new mythbackend, such as the server name, then a simple mysqldump/mysql isn't going to work and will screw things up.

The mythtv restore database script has the ability to change the hostname and various options like this.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

SiHa
October 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Enable the Ubuntu backport repository ; then you can install Qt4...

From there, you could compile mythtv yourself on 8.04.. it isn't too hard.
Hi Jean-Yves

I suppose I could, although I wouldn't have a clue where to start!
Still, my backend seems to be getting a bit unstable lately - going defunct 4-5 times a week. Maybe a fresh install is what's needed. I'll keep my 8.04 install in reserve though, just in case!
Cheers.

nmsmith
October 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Larsolav did you get an answer?

I found a website that seems to suggest the same idea (see one of the comments at the bottom for how to do it with different versions of myth) http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html

My situation is similar: I'm currently runnnig Hardy, but want to do a fresh install of Karmic using a new, bigger HD, but the rest of the machine is unchanged.

larsolav
October 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Larsolav did you get an answer?

I found a website that seems to suggest the same idea (see one of the comments at the bottom for how to do it with different versions of myth) http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html

My situation is similar: I'm currently runnnig Hardy, but want to do a fresh install of Karmic using a new, bigger HD, but the rest of the machine is unchanged.

I guess not really, because the links seem to deal with backing up a myth system and then restoring to the same version (please correct me if I am wrong). From what I understand the database in 0.21 is not the same as in 0.22 and I don't know how I would "restore" recording information from a 0.21 database into 0.22.

Anyway, from other posts on the board it looks like Simon is in the process of doing a clean install of 9.10/0.22. Simon, are you going to import your 8.04/0.21 recordings as well? If so, how will/did you do it?

Maybe I will back up my 0.21 database to an external drive, then upgrade to 8.10 then to 9.04, and then to 9.10, back up the database again and install my new hardware and do a fresh install of 9.10 and import my db of the recordings from the external drive.

Thanks for any input you may have!

SiHa
October 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Anyway, from other posts on the board it looks like Simon is in the process of doing a clean install of 9.10/0.22. Simon, are you going to import your 8.04/0.21 recordings as well? If so, how will/did you do it?

Having a little trouble getting anything to install at the moment. I'm going to try the vanilla Ubuntu alternative iso this afternoon. If that works then I'll probably upgrade the main machine at the weekend. Will report back.

SiHa
October 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Well, the alternative ISO just didn't happen. My prefered method of installation is booting from a USB-key. Takes about 5 minutes from downloading the ISO to having a bootable key. Also saves on CD's and avoids r/w and burn errors, which Ubuntu installs really seem to struggle with.

But I get as far as 'point me at your CDROM', and no further. Tried /dev/sdb & /dev/sdb1, but quickly gave up.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling. Downloaded today's daily i386 image, and it installed like a dream!

Following the link in novellahub's post here (http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html), I did this:

mysqldump -u mythtv -p -t mythconverg recorded recordedprogram recordedseek > recordings.sql
...on the soon-to-be-upgraded backend.

mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg < recordings.sql
...on the new test machine with the above new install, copied a couple of recordings across to the new machine, and hey presto! All recordings are listed in the media library, and the ones I copied over are watchable.

So in summary, it looks like it really is that simple! Note that I only copied some of the tables, I don't really care about oldrecorded, ratings or markups, but there's no reason to suspect they won't copy over just the same.

To anyone else that stumbles across this, just in case you didn't know: Your mysql password is stored in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt. You will be prompted for it after each of the above commands.

larsolav
October 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the update Simon!
Now I just need to order my vdpau compliant graphics card and a cooler processor for my backend, and I'm in business too!

SiHa
November 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Just a quick follow-up.

Noticed this week, that I couldn't delete any of the recordings that had been migrated across. Checking in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings, all the old files had their ownership set at 113:125.
sudo chown mythtv:mythtv *.mpg *.png did the trick.

SiHa
November 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM
What I would recommend you do is grab an extra hard drive and do a 9.10 install on it. Experiment for a bit and see what's still broke and needs work for you. You might (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised to find lots of stuff working OOTB that required lots of configuration previously.

If you find everything working, nuke your old install. If not, no harm, no loss :)

Did just that, and I have to say I'm glad I did, judging by the amount of 'I've just upgraded' or 'I'm trying to upgrade' posts floating around.