PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] SSH Agent in Gnome and KDE

hbj
October 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.04. After KDE started the 4.x series I switched to Gnome but have recently been trying KDE again. One thing I found nice about the Gnome setup was that the first time I used ssh after logging in, a dialog box would pop up asking for my ssh passphrase. I guess this somehow interfaced with ssh-agent to remember it.

In KDE, I just get a prompt in my terminal window asking for my passphrase, and I have to run ssh-agent myself if I want the passphrase to be remembered.

I really like how Gnome has things set up to do this - it's so simple, and I want something similar when I use KDE. In the past, I've put different scripts in the KDE autostart folder, hacked some files, etc. It seems like I must be missing an easy way to do this, but I can't figure it out. Can somebody help?

Lars Noodén
October 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have KDE set up and using ssh-agent. Looking at the files related to Xorg, I see three that have ssh-agent in them:

/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager
/etc/X11/Xsession.options
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent

The last one seems to set the environment variables you need, SSH_AGENT_PID and SSH_AUTH_SOCK

Lars Noodén
October 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM
If it's any help, the script startkde is what launches the agent:

1032 ? Ss 0:00 kdm
1295 tty7 Ss+ 17:18 \_ /usr/bin/X -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-hIMEoU
1678 ? S 0:00 \_ -:0
2371 ? Ss 0:00 \_ /bin/sh /usr/bin/startkde
2416 ? Ss 0:00 \_ /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --sh --write-env-file=/home/lars/.gnupg/gpg-agent-info-mini /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startkde
2417 ? Ss 0:01 \_ /usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --sh --write-env-file=/home/lars/.gnupg/gpg-agent-info-mini /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startkde
2506 ? S 0:00 \_ kwrapper4 ksmserver