PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 'invalid or damaged bootable partition'

MelDJ
October 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM
i an attempt to install linux mint on my pendrive, i went to windows and installed grub for windows from the linux mint cd. i have since removed it. but now, i cant boot into ubuntu as an error saying: 'invalid or damaged bootable partition' comes after i select the computer to boot into ubuntu. i installed ubuntu through wubi. going through google, i only found ways to repair for pendrives. Please help

MelDJ
October 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
i was using hardy. please help, i dont want to be stuck in vista:(

MelDJ
October 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM
when i try to boot into ubuntu it says, cant find GRLDR before invalid or damaged bootable partition. i tried booting from kubuntu and karmic live cds. but an error saying: cant read cd I/O error, comes up.

anyone? its quite important as i have to present ubuntu tomorrow,..please help me

bumanie
October 16th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Don't know much about wubi, but I think if you can still boot into vista, uninstall ubuntu via add/remove. If not able to get into vista, use a vista cd to rewrite the mbr and and then remove ubuntu if this makes vista bootable again. I would then try to reinstall ubuntu on its own partition. Sorry, this may not be of any help especially if you keep getting the I/O messages when you try to boot a live cd. Wubi is a bit of a hack and is really there as an option for people to get an idea of how ubuntu works - it is generally best to install linux on a separate partition if you are looking at it being for long-term usage.

MelDJ
October 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM
is there a way to get my files from ubuntu?

MelDJ
October 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
i uninstalled ubuntu. but i kept a copy of the ubuntu folder. if anyone knows a way to extract my pictures and songs, PLEASE TELL ME