PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which IRC client to use in Ubuntu question

mjp29
October 15th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Skip all my giberish below and scroll down to MY QUESTION if you don't want to read a bunch of random thoughts on why an os should be more out of your way than in your way [just scroll down now and save your mind and time from my insanity].

First of all, as many of you know, I'm making the transition from a very old Mac (g4 cube probably 10 years old maybe older but I've installed os x on which is just making me run os x slower on an old box that new mac users are running os x on quicker).

To qualify this statment, I always hated using MS Windows for many reasons and Mac was always a better os to me because it just worked better for me and made me feel like the operating system [mac] worked more as an os that didn't get in my way and allowed me more intellectual freedom to do what i wanted to do with a computer which is use the computer as a tool [like mac did], and the os didn't get in my way [like ms windows frequently did].

Which in other words, my personal philosophy about any os is that it is something that allows you to use a computer and not know it is there most of the time [as much as possible] but ms windows was [and still is] an os that allows you to use a computer but makes sure you know it there [as it seems to me that ms has and still makes windows get in the way of the user because ms windows goes out of it's way to let you know what ms is doing for you and points you in directions to click here and there that continually reminds you that you are somehow a virtual slave to ms if you want to keep using the os [windows] like you think you should already be using it. This sounds like insanity, but it's why I switched from ms to apple a long long time ago [remind some of you of a classic american rock song - lol].

To make a long long story short: I don't want to keep paying a lot of money for Apple computers because now that I've discovered Ubuntu it gets in my way less than Mac os x and will cost me much less to buy a box and much less [free!] to put the o.s. on. Besides, being a Mac user for so many years should tell you my mind is in a set/frame that I like to be different.

MY QUESTION: I used ircle and another irc client on the mac for many years. Which IRC client do users here suggest i use for Ubuntu which I'm new to. And p.s. what channel to join to live chat with Ubuntu users.

admelfo
October 15th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I haven't tried running IRC on Ubuntu, but I'm sure there's a client out there -- do a search in Synaptic. Or try mIRC -- which I always thought was a neat little app (I've only used it under Windows, though).

Enjoyed your post.

tommynz1975
October 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Try Pidgin found under Applications/Internet/Pidgin

you can setup most chat accounts yahoo/msn etc and IRC

Go into Acoounts menu item on the contact list, choose manage accounts, Then click the Add icon. Choose Irc from the drop down protocol box.

RichardLinx
October 15th, 2009, 05:31 AM
The two best choices are konversation and xchat. (IMO). I personally use konversation (even in GNOME environment) because it's a little more capable than xchat (more options). But xchat is fantastic too.

sudo apt-get install konversation

sudo apt-get install xchat

Give them both a try and decide for your self!

Captain_tux
October 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
XChat.

louieb
October 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
xchat
FreeNode
##club-ubuntu
#ubuntuforums

HNS-I
October 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM
A cli client is like is ircII

philinux
October 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
chatzilla for firefox is quite good.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam#IRC

OpenGuard
October 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Konversation ( I use it along with Gnome ) - you'll not find anything better in repos ( at least I haven't :p ).