PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GLabel (for example)

Don Bowen
October 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM
This is just an observation...maybe a complaint...
Nothing works very well in Ubuntu...
adding a printer...
creating a CD label with Glabel....
after about 30 minutes of simply trying to paste a .jpg on to the disc label... I gave up. (and I've done a lot of label making with Nero)
to install a printer i have to install 9.04, install the printer, then do all the updates.
If I do the updates first, then NO printer will install.
NO reply necessary...it's just way frustrating.

Sef
October 15th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Have you posted about your problems? As John Donne said, "No man is an island."

stinger30au
October 15th, 2009, 07:08 AM
This is just an observation...maybe a complaint...
Nothing works very well in Ubuntu...
adding a printer...
creating a CD label with Glabel....
after about 30 minutes of simply trying to paste a .jpg on to the disc label... I gave up. (and I've done a lot of label making with Nero)
to install a printer i have to install 9.04, install the printer, then do all the updates.
If I do the updates first, then NO printer will install.
NO reply necessary...it's just way frustrating.

i remember glabel in 9.04 had issues

infact i remember having the same very issue your having right now

a few ways to fix it

first you can get the new version of glabels from
www.getdeb.net

or

install 9.10 beta as glabels in 9.10 works fine

Don Bowen
October 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Have you posted about your problems? As John Donne said, "No man is an island."
No, because the research (reading) I did on installing a printer, for example, recommended fixes that were way more difficult than installing 9.04 from the LIVE CD and just starting over. My humble guess is that the CUPS update causes the problem. BEFORE the recommended updates (System,Admin,Update Mgr), Ubuntu can find my printer, offer the correct model driver, and even print a test page. AFTER, it never finds the printer..... same computer, same printer, same network!
What's newest isn't always best.

As for GLABEL, I read that it's highly recommended, but it fails the "can I paste a simple JPG on to the label editor" test. If copy a jpg to the clipboard, then go to glable, right click the cd label potion of the CD label, click paste,... nothing happens. If I create a graphic box, paste to that, nothing happens. If I make a graphic box, examine its properties, find the "browse to graphic" button, browse to and select the graphic, the checkerboard graphic box disappears, and no graphic I chose is nowhere to be foud. To that end, can anyone recommend a CD label maker I can use until Nero recompiles theirs for Ubuntu?
thanks in advance,
-D. Bowen

Don Bowen
October 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM
i remember glabel in 9.04 had issues

infact i remember having the same very issue your having right now

a few ways to fix it

first you can get the new version of glabels from
www.getdeb.net

or

install 9.10 beta as glabels in 9.10 works fine
I installed 9.10 a week ago and took it off... in the long run, I will have to update, but I don't like the new menus...and the fact that they've moved things around on the screen. It's just a style thing, but I wanted it to look just like 9.04 (only work better), and it doesn't look the same... It feels like someone went into my house when I wasn't there and moved all the furniture.

Don Bowen
October 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Thank you. Downloading the newer version of GLAbel fixed that JPG pasting problem!

Don Bowen
October 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I installed 9.10 a week ago and took it off... in the long run, I will have to update, but I don't like the new menus...and the fact that they've moved things around on the screen. It's just a style thing, but I wanted it to look just like 9.04 (only work better), and it doesn't look the same... It feels like someone went into my house when I wasn't there and moved all the furniture.
I don't expect anyone is reading this thread, but I have to say that the latest install of 9.10 was amazing! It solved so many problems, and it looks enough like the previous version that I'm comfortable. Best of all, it fixed the printer installation problem. It wasn't able to find my printer on my home network, but after supplying the IP (192.168.1.50 fixed), it then asked for the driver (which it did have) and off it went.
It's amazing to me how good this OS is!

nomnex
November 16th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Here are the reasons and explications about gLabel on Jaunty.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glabels/+bug/317164