PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What ISP will support Linux?

donzo37
October 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I was using ATT with my Ubuntu Dell machine and was happy for a year..and when they hooked up with Yahoo and Microsoft they they locked me out

I would like to find a linux friendly provider

Paqman
October 14th, 2009, 10:25 PM
As long as whatever hardware you're using to connect to the internet is supported, you can use any ISP. So if you're connecting through a router, you've got nothing to worry about.

The only time you'll strike problems is if you're trying to connect through a 3G dongle, USB modem, etc that doesn't play nicely with Linux.

How do you mean they "locked you out"?

sandyd
October 14th, 2009, 10:28 PM
As long as whatever hardware you're using to connect to the internet is supported, you can use any ISP. So if you're connecting through a router, you've got nothing to worry about.

The only time you'll strike problems is if you're trying to connect through a 3G dongle, USB modem, etc that doesn't play nicely with Linux.

How do you mean they "locked you out"?
nvm. (http://attnetclient.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=894)

jpmelos
October 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
As far as I know, ISPs can't stop you from connecting to the Internet for your OS... If you have the hardware correctly configured, you can connect to any ISP, independent of your OS... Am I wrong?

If I'm right, your problem must be something else.

sandyd
October 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM
As far as I know, ISPs can't stop you from connecting to the Internet for your OS... If you have the hardware correctly configured, you can connect to any ISP, independent of your OS... Am I wrong?

If I'm right, your problem must be something else.
i believe hes connecting through a VPN or gateway.

winotree
October 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I agree that we'll need additional information from OP -- I'm using basic AT&T service on one of their 2WIRE routers right now and everything's fine. :)