PDA

View Full Version : Darwin

Grifulkin
October 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried Darwin, I know that is it open source therefore you could try it if you wanted also I have seen an iso on it's website. So I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and what they thought of it?

t0p
October 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I didn't even know you can use Darwin without the rest of OSX to prop it up. So is Darwin a complete operating system?

dragos240
October 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
It might be just a kernel like Linux. Or it could be complete like BSD systems.
EDIT: It's called GNU-darwin.

Grifulkin
October 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I think it was the rest of OSX sits on so in theory without any real knowledge I would say yes you can run it by itself. Although I could be totally wrong, no idea.

schauerlich
October 14th, 2009, 10:32 PM
So is Darwin a complete operating system?

Yes.

The problem is, it's not distributed precompiled by Apple. However, the source is available on Apple's website (http://www.opensource.apple.com/).

There is a project called PureDarwin (http://www.puredarwin.org/) that aims to make a useful OS out of the code Apple provides.

Warpnow
October 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
It used to be downloadable as a compiled binary I believe, and you could run it, but it was extremely barebones.

Frak
October 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I've used PureDarwin, it's nice.

pookiebear
October 15th, 2009, 01:04 AM
now if you could run the iphone SDK on it then I would be ALL over it.

dragos240
October 15th, 2009, 01:10 AM
You probably could.

Frak
October 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
You probably could.
No, you couldn't. Be cool, but it lacks some proprietary Apple frameworks.

dragos240
October 15th, 2009, 02:21 AM
With a lot of hacking you could. I don't have a clue how, but, people can port something to almost anything, even if they have to dig through binaries.

Frak
October 15th, 2009, 03:07 AM
With a lot of hacking you could. I don't have a clue how, but, people can port something to almost anything, even if they have to dig through binaries.
It'd be the equivilent of making Wine again.

schauerlich
October 15th, 2009, 04:30 AM
It'd be the equivilent of making Wine again.

Sounds like a plan.

earthpigg
October 15th, 2009, 04:41 AM
It'd be the equivilent of making Wine again.Sounds like a plan.

+1

...not that i would donate time/money/effort to this. so i suppose my "+1" is rather empty.

MaxIBoy
October 15th, 2009, 05:51 AM
The reason it's unlikely an open-source, cross-platform OS X compatibility layer will be made, is because OS X has too little market share to make it worthwhile.

Does anyone else find this hilarious?

Grifulkin
October 15th, 2009, 05:56 AM
The reason it's unlikely an open-source, cross-platform OS X compatibility layer will be made, is because OS X has too little market share to make it worthwhile.

Does anyone else find this hilarious?

Yeah I don't see the point either.

steev182
October 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
With Carbon and Cocoa (and probably a load of other things) being proprietary, the likelihood of an OSX version of Wine is near 0.

NoaHall
October 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Quite a few mac's in the uk. My grandparents have two, they think it's the best fun ever, they spend all day scanning pictures in and then printing them off again.

Dragonbite
October 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Maybe if there was a Darwin port for Gnome or KDE it could be useful?

schauerlich
October 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
With Carbon and Cocoa (and probably a load of other things) being proprietary, the likelihood of an OSX version of Wine is near 0.

As opposed to the windows APIs, which are open source...?

But, yeah, wine took a really long time and a lot of development to get to where it is (which is okay to decent support for uncomplicated apps), and it would take just as long to make an OS X wine-type program (Xine?).

schauerlich
October 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM

There is. Read up on PureDarwin if you want more info.

Frak
October 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Gnome and KDE have been running on Darwin for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time. The last Darwin distro that existed, OpenDarwin (now defunct), used Gnome as its default DM.

Warpnow
October 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM
As opposed to the windows APIs, which are open source...?

But, yeah, wine took a really long time and a lot of development to get to where it is (which is okay to decent support for uncomplicated apps), and it would take just as long to make an OS X wine-type program (Xine?).

Pretty sure xine's already taken. ;)

schauerlich
October 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Pretty sure xine's already taken. ;)

So it is. :)

Frak
October 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I vote for "Tinara"

This Is Not A Recursive Acronym

Xbehave
October 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
For those of interested in a mac emulator then look at few projects to look at gnustep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNUstep) and cocotron (http://www.cocotron.org/), they are analogous to winelib as they replace the relevant libs at run/compile time.

I think the low demand (most mac apps are available for windows) combined with the difficulty of emulating a closed API* (wine has been in development for longer than mac os X has existed), is why there is no complete osX emulator.

*Linux emulation for BSD/solaris is much easier.

schauerlich
October 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
For those of interested in a mac emulator then look at few projects to look at gnustep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNUstep)

GNUstep is not meant to be wine-for-OS X. It's an implementation of OpenStep, the specification that Cocoa is based on, but incompatible with.