PDA

View Full Version : [other] Anyone interested in WMbuntu?

maxsideburn
October 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Seeing as how WindowMaker is my favorite window manager I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. I've been thinking about building and releasing my own variant of Ubuntu, possibly called WMbuntu.

If I were to undertake this would anyone be interested in helping? I would mostly need people to conduct research for me into how to customize it exactly like I'm thinking.

To give you an idea of what it could look like here's a recent screenshot of my WindowMaker desktop with a Dust them that I created for it.

http://www.box-look.org/content/show.php/Dust+for+Windowmaker?content=113758

Lukios
October 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I personally don't like WM, but even if I did my answer would be the same. Unless you are offering something completely different and new to the table, it's probably a project not worth pursuring. It doesn't take the average user much to install their favorite DE or WM from a mini.iso along with their needed applications.

Bu7753x
October 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I really dislike WM. On the topic of ugly window managers from the 90s, JWMbuntu would be pretty interesting.

Lukios
October 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM
while JWM is not as ugly as WM, I would still choose openbox over both. To each his own though. In any case, no distro should be based solely on a WM or DE.

maxsideburn
October 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
while JWM is not as ugly as WM, I would still choose openbox over both. To each his own though. In any case, no distro should be based solely on a WM or DE.

So there shouldn't be a Kubuntu? or Xubuntu?

Anyway, I think I'm going to do it, just to spite all of you nay-sayers.

I guess because I got into Linux back in the 90s WindowMaker just feels more "Linuxey" than Gnome, KDE, or XFCE. I find all of them to be too much like Windows or Mac OS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be writing like 500 new pieces of software for this WMbuntu, basically just going to be using Reconstructor to create a version of Ubuntu that starts with WM instead of Gnome and is already set up with a nice Dust theme, nice icons, docker installed for systray items, etc...

You guys are probably the same ones who think BeOS/Haiku is ugly and dated. Personally I think BeOS (and to some extent Mac OS 9) were some of the cleanest and most well designed OSes ever. I dig my 90s styling thank you, I also dig having things respond lightning fast to my commands (as they do in WM). I guess the fact that it resembles a piece of computer history (NEXTstep) helps me like it as well.

So look for WMbuntu (name not decided on yet) fairly soon. Here's what I'm shooting for:

- Will be based on 9.10 Karmic Koala
- A nicely themed WindowMaker desktop
- Modern icons
- Docker pre-installed for systray items
- Desktop compositing
- Drag & Drop support compiled in (hopefully)
- WMsound enabled for system sounds
- A nice matching GDM login theme
- Lots of hotkeys
- Pre-installed codecs for multimedia
- IMDB thumbnails for video files
- A simple and elegant website that contains enough documentation that a computer novice could run it with little trouble

kellemes
October 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Well well, just today reading the Window Maker maillinglist in search for activity, hoping some day a new exciting release will popup.
These days it's userbase seems to be "very few" and shrinking..
I've always loved Window Maker and cannot help hoping it'll be saved from death soon. I do think it's in a serious coma though..

Interested in WMbuntu I'm not, mainly because I'm using Arch.
Great theme I must say, great initiative.
Who knows these kind of initiatives will wake up the devs..

maxsideburn
October 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Just wait, I've got another idea. I was reading in one of the dev archives that they're not planning on making a user forum, but they wouldn't be opposed to one.

I think what WindowMaker needs is a new "central hub" for forums, news, themes, etc..

So I'm going to make one. I will update this thread when the site is online. This site will also be the home of "WMbuntu".

I had forgotten about WM myself for a while, and was growing quite fond of Gnome. I felt it had finally reached a state that I was really pleased with. After seeing videos of Gnome 3.0 however, I am now really concerned about where I'm going to go next with a desktop environment. Gnome 3.0 looks HORRIBLE, I can't stand KDE, but I've always liked WM, so I'm going to do everything I can to see it stick around.

Lukios
October 16th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Four Things,

1. Most people are getting sick of there being yet another remix to add to the 100s that are out there
2. Your remix does not offer anything that an average user can't do on their own with a mini.iso
3. As far as I know, your not going to be able to use *buntu in your name. And chances are if you didn't know that, then you probably don't know quite enough to maintain a distro and judging from your first post, I'm fairly certain of it.
4. Lastly

Anyway, I think I'm going to do it, just to spite all of you nay-sayers.

should not be the reason why you are trying to come up with another distro. Ubuntu is about community, while we all welcome those from other forks, we don't encourage making forks in spite of the community it self.

maxsideburn
October 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Then you don't have to use it. But either way I'm going to create a little Ubuntu based distro focused on WindowMaker, just because a lot of people would use WM, but don't have the slightest inkling how to configure it. This way it will be preconfigured and ready to roll.

Even if nobody ever installs it to their hard drive, it'll be a live CD so they can at least see what a well configured WM desktop is like.

It's not going to be a "distro" in the real sense of the word, just a version optimized for WM for those who care about it. Trust me, there's not going to be a team of dozens of devs working on it around the clock. It's something I'm going to put together myself, possibly with the help of one or two others, and will probably only release a new one once a year or so.

When I got into Linux back in the 90s WM was a really popular option, and I believe it probably still is. I should have known that I would get negative responses about it; however, on an Ubuntu board. No offense intended because I use Ubuntu myself because it's solid and well put together, but it is also a distro for Linux newbies and also for a new generation who don't get 90s styling at all. As I said, no offense intended to anyway, but it is true.

Do I like standard Ubuntu with Gnome? Sure, I recommend it to everyone. However one of the desktop environments that I really like, WindowMaker is more and more falling out of the spotlight and in danger of dying completely. So I'm going to do what I can to help keep it as popular as possible. I would have done it no matter what, but all of the nay-sayers expressing their dislike of WM has only strengthened my resolve to show them all that WM is actually a very nice window manager.

Lukios
October 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Well, all I can say is good luck, and if you can, make something great of it. I would most definitely like to be one of the first ones to be completely surprised by your work, so keep us updated.

ackley
October 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I like the look of WM. But only one NEXTStep. Or OpenStep. It just reminds me of the early 90's.

I mean, to each their own, but I would just assume that if you want a lightweight window manager, there are plenty available now. And most to all of them look nicer than WM. Most of the *box's look nice and use little resources, wmii, dwm, stumpwm, ratpoison (my personal favorite).

I say go for it. Keep us posted on how it goes.

maxsideburn
October 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
sorry but I think the *box ones are horrible. it's basically just a right-click menu....

I like minimal, but c'mon. That's why I like WM, it's a right-click menu, but also has a dock and a clip, it just feels more like a complete environment that doesn't NEED other parts from other programs to be useable.

Lukios
October 22nd, 2009, 04:50 AM
thats why you add panels . . . WM's like OpenBox gives you something to build off of. For example, look at lxde, it's basically openbox with a lxpanel (from fbpanel) with a pcmanfm as a desktop and file manager.

You can add what ever you like there are several types of panels and docks to choose from. Some of menus some don't. Plus you could always write a menu applet for your favorite panel. That's the beauty of Linux, you can pretty much do what ever you want.

ardchoille42
October 22nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
I say go for it! I love Window Maker, here (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X0PrgPVGtRFr2e2_yOZmUA?feat=directlink) is one of my screenshots.

I would definitely be one that uses it :-)

maxsideburn
December 1st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Ok guys, I've launched my new site. For now it's just a really simple little repository of cool stuff for WindowMaker, but hopefully it will grow into something more.

You can check it out here:

Viva Windowmaker (http://www.vivawindowmaker.tk)

Harii
February 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Sounds good to me.
it can do icons so you can pick an lite file manager and have an lite D.E.

there are so many same (fluxbox/openbox) ubuntu's out there - this one sticks out.