PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 and the Kernels

jmundinger
October 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I had Ubuntu 9.04 installed and working fabulously on this desktop computer. I followed someone else's suggestion and attempted to install Ubuntu to a 4 gb flashdrive. That didn't work and, in the process, I ended up with hosed GRUB.

Not knowing what else to do, I reinstalled 9.04 and, in the process, also restored GRUB and the computer once again boots properly. I presume that really was the only solution because, if the computer wouldn't boot, I didn't know how to get to a place to correct the problem or what to do once I got there.

Anyway, I have different question. When I first installed Ubuntu 9.04, it gave me the option to boot either into Kernell 2.6.28-11 or 2.6.28-15. With the fresh installation, I only see 2.6.28-11. What happened to the newer kernel and/or will it be added after I do all of the updates? And, a related question, should I just forgo all of the ubdates until the koala release date?

wojox
October 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM
You should update now and yes you should receive the new kernel. Also in order for you to update to 9.10 your going to need to have all your updates to do so.

falconindy
October 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM
New kernels are passed down from the repositories as new updates. So yes, after you run the upgrades you'll have your other choices of kernels back. Although, you'll only get the latest, which is 2.6.28-15.52.

Personally, I'd update Jaunty before Karmic comes out. It's still two weeks away -- updating Jaunty is quick, painless, and provides some good updates (particularly security based). Moreover, you may not want to upgrade to Karmic right on the 29th. Download servers will be slow, and there's bounds to be release day bugs that won't get resolved for a few days. Save yourself some hassles and wait a week or two.

LewRockwell
October 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I had Ubuntu 9.04 installed and working fabulously on this desktop computer. I followed someone else's suggestion and attempted to install Ubuntu to a 4 gb flashdrive. That didn't work and, in the process, I ended up with hosed GRUB.

Not knowing what else to do, I reinstalled 9.04 and, in the process, also restored GRUB and the computer once again boots properly. I presume that really was the only solution because, if the computer wouldn't boot, I didn't know how to get to a place to correct the problem or what to do once I got there.

Anyway, I have different question. When I first installed Ubuntu 9.04, it gave me the option to boot either into Kernell 2.6.28-11 or 2.6.28-15. With the fresh installation, I only see 2.6.28-11. What happened to the newer kernel and/or will it be added after I do all of the updates? And, a related question, should I just forgo all of the ubdates until the koala release date?

here is where that recent clone back-up via Clonezilla would have made your recovery quite painless

almost to the point of being fun

or at least amusing in a constructive "man-over-machine" attaboy/attagirl sense