PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] distribute cumputing?

allenbradley
October 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM
We have a lot of machines ( ~30 ) that run decent processors with good ram ( 1 GB ). However, these machines are connected via an NIS to a central computer, so most of the hard disk space ( ~ 100 Gb ) is wasted on each computer. That translates to almost 3 TB of useless space. Is there a way I can distribute the filesystem across machines, so that the space is not wasted?

Also, we run a few codes (using octave/scilab ) on these machines. Is there a way, again, to distribute computing across these machines?

Thanks

hal10000
October 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I would prefer to put all the disks in a single RAID and all the workstation booting diskless with NFS root to make use of your bunch of disks.

You could make a cluster with all your workstations to work as a number cruncher, but i don't have much experience here, so i can't help you further.

j7%<RmUg
October 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
You could have a network share to give users access to important resources.

also +1 to hal10000's idea with a RAID array.

XCan
October 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I think RAID is a nice idea, and will likely yield you the best performance.

Another possibility could be for you to run an FTP daemon or something that supports distribution to multiple servers/drives, such as DrFTPD.

Regarding distributed computing, I've written manual scripts that do that in Matlab, so I don't see how that would not work for Octave/Scilab. "Simply" run a script on the servers that checks a dir (be it a local or remote) for work units. Whenever your master server puts a new workunit there, the first non-idle worker will start to crunch and place the results back. The tricky part here is of course for you to figure out how to divide your workunits.

whitethorn
October 14th, 2009, 09:56 PM
At my work they use Torque/PBS for distributed computing. I believe there's another program from sun systems I believe it's written in java so you can use linux and windows to send jobs to it.

cholericfun
October 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM
there is some way of doing parallel computing with octave.
but never looked at that myself.
heres an "example" with a whole linux liveCD
http://idea.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix/

that is setup to do parallel octave work,
actually this looks like an interesting search hit:
http://atc.ugr.es/javier-bin/mpitb

BTW, writing parallel code is a very strange thing if your not used to it.
plus its easy to write code that will be slower in parallel because of communication time.
(and i guess you dont have some high-end connection between your Nodes)
on the other hand if your computations are memory-intensive you might even get super-linear speed up.

anyway, just wanted to add that parallel computing is not just like

for i=1:N; DO PARALLEL

XCan
October 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Not to forget how to remerge the data in a sensible way if needed with low complexity. :)