View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet disconnects after a couple of minutes

October 14th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I have had a wireless Internet setup with my desktop PC loaded with Ubuntu 9.04. It's worked fine until recently. Lately, when I've gotten onto Firefox, the Internet disconnects within one to five minutes. The problem is not with the Internet connection, as my laptop works just fine with the wireless Internet. I have a USB wireless port from Asus.

October 14th, 2009, 12:27 AM
In my experience, usb wireless cards can be fickle most of the time. I would try connecting the USB wireless card to your laptop, turn off your laptop's internal card, and try connecting that way (to see if it's the card or your desktop computer). Also, you could try connecting to the router that I'm assuming exists wired, if possible, and see if the same problem still occurs. Once we troubleshoot that, we'll try other options.

October 17th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of connecting my wireless adapter to my laptop, and connecting my desktop computer via ethernet cable to the router. I'm not sure if I've had any success doing either, though.

I have an Asus Eee PC laptop operating on Xandros Linux, and I don't know how to get into the settings to get it to switch from its internal wireless port to the USB port. Likewise, I'm not sure if I can get my desktop to switch from its wireless port to the ethernet cable. I know that I originally had to get help just to get the system to read my Asus wireless port, going through a number of commands in terminal mode.

So I don't know if you can help me with doing either one? Thanks!

October 17th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I don't know about xandros linux... I've never even used that distro before. However, in terms of your desktop, you should be able to disconnect the usb wireless device and connect the ethernet cable and it (the gnome network manager) should be able to pick up the wired network automatically, assuming you have a relatively standard network card. Sorry I can't be of more help than that! Maybe someone else in the community will know how to work with xandros linux; it might be almost identical for all I know, but I don't know anywhere close to enough to comment.

October 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks. Well, here's the results of my tests--when the USB port is in, the Internet connects but disconnects after a couple of minutes. When the USB port is out and I connect via ethernet cable to the router, the Internet doesn't connect at all. But my laptop continues to connect via its wireless port with no problem.

Thanks for your help!

October 18th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I'm not sure what to tell you about your desktop computer... what kind of ethernet card do you have in your desktop? That's one piece of hardware that should work pretty well unless you have a really old and/or non-standard piece of network hardware.

Let me see what

lspci | grep Ethernet

returns, and if nothing, just post all of lspci here.

October 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
This is what I get:

02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet controller (rev 03)

October 18th, 2009, 09:49 PM
You could search these lists to see if you card is on the list of supported hardware; I would think it would be, though, because normally Intel has good support for Linux and vice versa. I'm almost out of ideas, but hopefully more people in the community will get on this thread!