PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] alternative to Adobe Flash Player

2blue
October 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Is there any good alternative to adobe flash player and plugins? Adobe is good and works, but I wonder.

3rdalbum
October 13th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Gnash

Swfdec

Both are available in the repositories for you to try.

praveesh
October 13th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Gnash

Swfdec

Both are available in the repositories for you to try.

one doubt. Which of these is superior in quality

2blue
October 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I can't make them work, only adobe flash player works with out any further tweaking. I have to spend a bit more time with the other two before I can say anything about them.

coldReactive
October 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I can't make them work, only adobe flash player works with out any further tweaking. I have to spend a bit more time with the other two before I can say anything about them.

Gnash works for me out of the box, and so does swfdec (one requires you press a big play button.)

Both have timing issues for me however.

2blue
October 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
When I use gnash or swfdec youtube videos become very jerky or like a series of photos. There is also a chat that will not work at all, but with adobe almost as good as windows. There are a few functions that will not work in linux.

http://chat.sol.no/solchat/

NoaHall
October 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
HTML 5(no need for any player) will be the future of videos, it's not currently supported by many(if any) sites.

swoody
October 13th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I have tried both gnash and swfdec myself. As you have mentioned, I have had issues ranging from stuttered playback, to lagging, and even some sites that just seem to not work with them at all. I have removed all aspects of non-free and proprietary software from my system, but for now I have resolved to just stay with Adboe Flash as it works very well for the sites that I use.