PDA

View Full Version : Problem mounting external drive with fstab

NautiusMaximus
October 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I have an external drive (Buffalo Linkstation) that I use for backup. I can very easily mount it manually using the following command:

sudo mount //172.16.100.250/HTPC /media/linkstation

I have the following line in my fstab file:

//172.16.100.250/HTPC /media/linkstation cifs auto,user,username=root,password=[password] 0 0

If I type

sudo mount -a

then the drive mounts, which if I understand correctly uses the information in the fstab file. However, the drive does not mount automatically when the machine boots.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Mythbuntu 8.10.

Thanks
NM

falcon15500
October 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM
In the options segment of the fstab line make sure you include the option _netdev as this will cause the mount attempt to ONLY happen after network services are running.

M.

NautiusMaximus
October 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow here, but when you say "the options segment of the fstab line", where do you mean exactly?

Thanks
NM

SiHa
October 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM
the
auto,user,username=root,password=[password] bit is the options segment, so I would assume you'd just change it to:
auto,user,username=root,password=[password],_netdev

nickrout
October 13th, 2009, 11:36 PM
wow cool, glad I stumbled on this post. Where is this documented?

falcon15500
October 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM
wow cool, glad I stumbled on this post. Where is this documented?

man mount

:)

M.

NautiusMaximus
November 1st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Well, I tried that, but it didn't work. Is it possible that the _netdev option needs to go somewhere else?

It still all mounts OK if I type "sudo mount -a" at the terminal, but still doesn't mount automatically at startup.

However, I think I've come up with a cunning workaround. The purpose of mounting the network drives is that they are used for backups. The backups are run from a script in /etc/cron.daily. The problem is that if the backups attempt to run when the drives are not mounted, all the backups are written to the mount point, and the system partition fills up.

So, I have simply added the line "mount -a" to my backup script. That seems to mount the drives first before running the backup.

Is there any downside to that workaround?

Thanks
NM