PDA

View Full Version : Acer Windows Refund

andylondonuk
October 9th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of trying to get a refund From Acer UK for my copy of Windows Vista, that is on a laptop I purchased last week.

I've got as far as them offering to refund £33.95 for it, which is good. But, they insist on charging me £51.99 to ship the laptop back to them to verify that it has been removed, as I say it has.

So essentially the offer they're giving me is to pay £18.04 for me to be without my laptop while they have it and nothing else.

Maybe they misunderstand the word "refund"? :P

Any suggestions? I'm sure I read somewhere that all Microsoft needs to process the refund, is just the license certificate?

Andy.

LowSky
October 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
not worth the hasssle, if you actually shopped around you could have perchased a computer with linux or no operating system.

prshah
October 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I've got as far as them offering to refund £33.95 for it, which is good. But, they insist on charging me £51.99 to ship the laptop back to them to verify that it has been removed, as I say it has.

I'd say this is a superb sample case for the "European Regulators" / "Competition Commissioners" (whatever) to look into. They could probably make a billion dollar anti-trust case out of it. No joy for you however...

It's definitely something that should be looked into. Wish I could be of more help, rather than just a commentard.

ade234uk
October 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I want to send my laptop back to Acer. as I have a few issues with it. I deleted Vista off this machine totally because the original back up failed 3 times on me. In the end I just wiped.

I thought I better get some restore disks before sending the laptop back. They said they wanted £44. This does annoy me even though I have legally purchased a Vista licence.

I know I deleted it, but lets get real £44.

There seems to be a big inconsistency in their pricing, and they seem to charge what they want. This does need to be looked in to.

AllRadioisDead
October 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Try reading this:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7040

snowpine
October 9th, 2009, 06:44 PM
The only way to change this policy (in my opinon) is to purchase hardware with Linux or no pre-installed operating system. Manufacturers will offer the option if there is a large and profitable market for it.

You knew the computer came with Vista, and you bought it anyway. It counts as a sale for Microsoft and makes Acer less, not more, likely to offer Linux computers for sale in the future. :(

Screwdriver0815
October 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
just state that sending the laptop back is not acceptable and offer them that they can come to you, inspecting the machine at any time.
Remind them that you are the customer and that you are the one who gets served and that they are the ones, supposed to serve.

PhoHammer
October 9th, 2009, 06:59 PM
just state that sending the laptop back is not acceptable and offer them that they can come to you, inspecting the machine at any time.
Remind them that you are the customer and that you are the one who gets served and that they are the ones, supposed to serve.

+1

And isn't finding the laptop he wants without Windows on it kind
of impossible? Can someone point me to a store where I can buy a
laptop of my choice with no OS? Does it exist...?

t0p
October 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM

I doubt that will make the slightest difference. It's obvious (to me anyway) that Acer are trying to deter its customers from claiming a refund for unwanted OSes.

If you want Acer to change this policy, you need to take them to court. I'm sure you'll lose the case at first. But if you appeal it high enough, you will probably win in the end. But you'll need deep pockets to do this.

Or you could report the matter to your MEP (Member of European Parliament). Just bear in mind that governmental movement is glacial. And there's no guarantee that you'll get your refund anyway. Maybe you should just suck it up and next time remember to buy a Windows-free machine.

Screwdriver0815
October 9th, 2009, 07:10 PM
+1

yes it does

www.notebooksbilliger.de

there I bought my Lenovo without OS. If you want to search for Laptops without OS, go to "erweiterte Suche" and choose in the category "Betriebssystem" --> "ohne Windows". Sure the offers are limited, but it is possible to find laptops without windows

PhoHammer
October 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
yes it does

www.notebooksbilliger.de

there I bought my Lenovo without OS. If you want to search for Laptops without OS, go to "erweiterte Suche" and choose in the category "Betriebssystem" --> "ohne Windows". Sure the offers are limited, but it is possible to find laptops without windows

Problem #1: the fact that I have to translate a website and work
through whatever difficulties I will encounter to buy a Windows-
free PC from another country-- this goes along with my previous
question: "And isn't finding the laptop he wants without Windows
on it kindof impossible?"

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I am sure this issue has
been covered- very well and very likely in these very forums--
before, but this shows that there is something fundamentally
wrong with the PC market. You shouldn't have to pull teeth to
avoid a single company (i.e. Microsoft) when buying a new
computer...

snowpine
October 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM
The operating system is a feature, part of the package... Let's say you buy a laptop with a 160gb hard drive, but you decide to replace it with a spiffy new solid state drive... do they owe you a refund on the original hard drive because you're not using that feature?

(I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here ;))

PhoHammer
October 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
The operating system is a feature, part of the package... Let's say you buy a laptop with a 160gb hard drive, but you decide to replace it with a spiffy new solid state drive... do they owe you a refund on the original hard drive because you're not using that feature?

(I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here ;))

The HDD doesn't have a binding contract/license that comes with
it saying that you have the right to a refund... MS Windows does.

Screwdriver0815
October 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Problem #1: the fact that I have to translate a website and work
through whatever difficulties I will encounter to buy a Windows-
free PC from another country-- this goes along with my previous
question: "And isn't finding the laptop he wants without Windows
on it kindof impossible?"

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I am sure this issue has
been covered- very well and very likely in these very forums--
before, but this shows that there is something fundamentally
wrong with the PC market. You shouldn't have to pull teeth to
avoid a single company (i.e. Microsoft) when buying a new
computer...
I fully agree.

But I think that when it is possible to find Laptops without Windows even in Germany where serving the customer and his wishes and needs is really underdeveloped (yes, it really is) then it must be possible too in other countries. I can not imagine that this is not possible in the US (for example) :confused: But if so, you are right again: there is something really really wrong in the computer market.

CharlesA
October 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM
+1

Not impossible, but said laptop can get expensive. See here: http://www.factorgaming.com/

andylondonuk
October 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Wow, some very interesting comments here, thank you. It's certainly a hotly debated topic! :P

not worth the hasssle, if you actually shopped around you could have perchased a computer with linux or no operating system.

I tried for over a week to find somewhere to buy an OS free laptop in my price range, that I liked and had the specs I wanted. This included Dell, PC World, Acer (several on-line stores), Dixons and a dozen or so stores on Tottenham Court Road (the main tech road in London, for those that don't know), plus numerous other on-line stores. My problem was that my desktop computer had died and I needed a replacement and couldn't spend too long looking.

The only one I came across sold two laptops in my price range, but the specs where much lower than I wanted and I could get more for my money elsewhere.

Like CharlesA says "Not impossible, but said laptop can get expensive"

I'd say this is a superb sample case for the "European Regulators" / "Competition Commissioners" (whatever) to look into. They could probably make a billion dollar anti-trust case out of it. No joy for you however...

Ha-Ha .. I actually contacted the European Commission and they gave me a complaint form for the Competition Commission.

You knew the computer came with Vista, and you bought it anyway.

Yes, but like I said above, I tried to get one without, but simply couldn't find one. I feel people shouldn't have to jump through hoops to avoid Microsoft.

It counts as a sale for Microsoft and makes Acer less, not more, likely to offer Linux computers for sale in the future.

I do partially agree with you here, but on the other hand, if Linux users just quietly avoid the big stores and don't make a little bit of noise every now and then, nothing will change. I just don't believe there is sufficient momentum to make this happen, but I would love to be proven wrong of course.

What is wrong in my opinion is that the vast majority of the general public are simply not aware that there are alternatives to Microsoft. If every store at the till said "Did you want Vista installed?", consumers would begin to ask the question "Why, what's the alternative!?".

starcannon
October 9th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of trying to get a refund From Acer UK for my copy of Windows Vista, that is on a laptop I purchased last week.

So essentially the offer they're giving me is to pay £18.04 for me to be without my laptop while they have it and nothing else.

Maybe they misunderstand the word "refund"? :P

Any suggestions? I'm sure I read somewhere that all Microsoft needs to process the refund, is just the license certificate?

Andy.
Offer to send them back the COA sticker and the install media that it shipped with; perhaps that would satiate them.

andylondonuk
October 9th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure how to respond to Acer now. I was going to reply saying I can provide video footage of me installing Linux and see what they say. Not sure they will agree though.

From the EULA it says:

Genuine Proof of License. If you acquired the software on a device or on a disc or other media, a genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity label with a genuine copy of the software identifies licensed software. To be valid, this label must be affixed to the device or appear on the manufacturer’s or installer’s packaging.

Surely just sending this certificate back (along with video footage) should be sufficient?

andylondonuk
October 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Offer to send them back the COA sticker and the install media that it shipped with; perhaps that would satiate them.

Ha-Ha, you answered my question before I posted it! :P

There is no installation media that came with it, it's all on the hard disk.

prshah
October 10th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I'm not sure how to respond to Acer now.

I'd guess you could try to throw a scare into them by sending them a mail stating that you have complained to the European Commission and enclose a copy of the complaint form for the Competition Commission.

At the very least, it will probably have the issue bumped upstairs to someone who can actually make a decision, rather than just follow a ISO standards flowchart to handle complaints.

prshah
October 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Deja Vu: windows refund from acer in the uk (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291873) Maybe the two of you can complain to the EU together.