PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition too small

benleedy
October 9th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I installed and upon first bootup it told me I didn't have enough space partitioned. It asked if I wanted to go back to the partitioner and I clicked OK, but it just popped up immediately with the same dialogue box. If I click CANCEL I can finish booting and it seems like I'm good to go, but every time I boot, it gives me the partitioning error. How can I fix this?

Pumalite
October 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Boot up your Live CD and post a picture of Gparted

oboedad55
October 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I installed and upon first bootup it told me I didn't have enough space partitioned. It asked if I wanted to go back to the partitioner and I clicked OK, but it just popped up immediately with the same dialogue box. If I click CANCEL I can finish booting and it seems like I'm good to go, but every time I boot, it gives me the partitioning error. How can I fix this?

You can boot up with the LiveCD and use the partitioner to resize your partitions. You don't say, but I'm assuming you did a dual boot with Windows. If that's the case then defrag your hard drive before you mess with partitions.

benleedy
October 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Boot up your Live CD and post a picture of Gparted

I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means. :confused:

benleedy
October 9th, 2009, 02:47 AM
You can boot up with the LiveCD and use the partitioner to resize your partitions. You don't say, but I'm assuming you did a dual boot with Windows. If that's the case then defrag your hard drive before you mess with partitions.

Yes, I did dual boot.

How do I boot up with the LiveCD?

Thetherumcompound
October 9th, 2009, 02:54 AM
The CD you installed ubuntu with is your live CD.
Do what you did to install except choose the option that says "try ubuntu with out installing"(or something similar)
Then when ubuntu is booted goto
System--->Administration--->gparted

Daddy1
October 9th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I have the same problem, Laptop, dual boot with a Fujitsu 160gig drive, Partitions should be even almost but I had moved up from 8.04 to 9.04 and now when I want to do my security updates it says I don't have enough room. Will Partition Magic do the same I do I have to use the gpart?

benleedy
October 9th, 2009, 03:48 AM
FAIL. I burned the CD as data, not as an image. Let's try again.

oboedad55
October 9th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I have the same problem, Laptop, dual boot with a Fujitsu 160gig drive, Partitions should be even almost but I had moved up from 8.04 to 9.04 and now when I want to do my security updates it says I don't have enough room. Will Partition Magic do the same I do I have to use the gpart?

Windows is stupid. PM won't recognize Linux partitions. OTOH, Gparted or Parted Magic, http://partedmagic.com/, will resize NTFS partitions.

raymondh
October 9th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means. :confused:

Hello benleedy and welcome to the forums.

When you installed Ubuntu, did you choose "side-by-side"? Did you use a "slider" to allocate partition sizes between windows and Ubuntu?

Kindly boot into the liveCD and go live session (try ubuntu without changes). When in live session, access a terminal (applications > accessories). In a terminal, type

df -h

and

sudo fdisk -l

Kindly post back the results. Copy/paste works best.

You can also post a screen shot of gparted if you wish. To do so,

- live session
- access system > admininstratition > partition editor
- when gparted opens, press your 'prntscreen' key. Save a screenshot to your current live session desktop
- on your next post, click on ATTACH (near the smiley face on top of the post window) > browse to your desktop and select the screenshot > upload

Regards,

benleedy
October 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I re-burned the disk as an image, then re-installed Ubuntu wiping everything else. Works fine now.