PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 8.10 Backend Setup - Manual p80 - What does this mean

cat2005
October 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hi,

If you go here

http://www.mythbuntu.org/documentation/mythbuntu_8.10_installation.pdf

then you will find this:

"As long as you setup a separate partition for /var/lib during the initial setup, the default option here - /var/lib/mythtv will work fine. If you setup a different mount point or won't be recording with this machine, be sure to set this accordingly. (Also, if you used a non-default location, be sure and set the ownership and permissions to match /var/lib/mythtv.)"

What does this mean?

I never had to do anything with /var when I installed mythbuntu. Did I miss something? I want to record to a particular user's /home. Must I do something different?

klc5555
October 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hi,

If you go here

http://www.mythbuntu.org/documentation/mythbuntu_8.10_installation.pdf

then you will find this:

"As long as you setup a separate partition for /var/lib during the initial setup, the default option here - /var/lib/mythtv will work fine. If you setup a different mount point or won't be recording with this machine, be sure to set this accordingly. (Also, if you used a non-default location, be sure and set the ownership and permissions to match /var/lib/mythtv.)"

What does this mean?

I never had to do anything with /var when I installed mythbuntu. Did I miss something? I want to record to a particular user's /home. Must I do something different?

If you did a default Mythbuntu (not Ubuntu plus mythtv) install (of 8.04, 8.10, or 9.04), then /var/lib was set up as a separate partition (formatted in XFS) automatically, and takes up most of the space on the disk. (Note your root partition, including /home runs only about 8-12 Gbytes in size.) The separate /var/lib partition also had the correct owner/group/permissions set. By default, recordings will be kept in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings

If you wish to store the recordings elsewhere, like on a different harddisk, the directory or directories (and their files) should have owner 'mythtv' (not 'root' nor a username), their group should be 'mythtv', and their permissions should be set to 775 (that is, rwx for user and group, and r-- for outsiders). In addition the primary username should be made part of the 'mythtv' group (should happen automatically at first backend setup).

Doing it differently tends to cause all kinds of problems that ultimately boil down to permission issues, because 'root' tends to control the capture hardware, the general backend daemons, and pure OS stuff, 'mythtv' runs MySQL and the recordings database (and therefore the recorded files themselves), and the username runs the frontend, including post-recording and playback. Hard to coordinate all three and get them playing nicely together, if the recordings directories are not set up right.

cat2005
October 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM
If you did a default Mythbuntu (not Ubuntu plus mythtv) install (of 8.04, 8.10, or 9.04), then /var/lib was set up as a separate partition (formatted in XFS) automatically, and takes up most of the space on the disk. (Note your root partition, including /home runs only about 8-12 Gbytes in size.) The separate /var/lib partition also had the correct owner/group/permissions set. By default, recordings will be kept in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings

If you wish to store the recordings elsewhere, like on a different harddisk, the directory or directories (and their files) should have owner 'mythtv' (not 'root' nor a username), their group should be 'mythtv', and their permissions should be set to 775 (that is, rwx for user and group, and r-- for outsiders). In addition the primary username should be made part of the 'mythtv' group (should happen automatically at first backend setup).

Doing it differently tends to cause all kinds of problems that ultimately boil down to permission issues, because 'root' tends to control the capture hardware, the general backend daemons, and pure OS stuff, 'mythtv' runs MySQL and the recordings database (and therefore the recorded files themselves), and the username runs the frontend, including post-recording and playback. Hard to coordinate all three and get them playing nicely together, if the recordings directories are not set up right.

klc5555,

Yes, I installed Mythbuntu, not Ubuntu + Myth. I selected "standard" install.

So, assume I create a separate partition as you described, making "mythtv" both owner and group. How do I actually tell the computer to store recordings in the new partition instead of the default? The backend config instructions were vague.

Thank you.

tgm4883
October 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Don't record to a users home directory. You will have permissions issues. It's much better to record to a directory owned by mythtv

cat2005
October 9th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Don't record to a users home directory. You will have permissions issues. It's much better to record to a directory owned by mythtv

Yes, I now understand, but how do I tell it "record here" instead of "record there"?

klc5555
October 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
klc5555,

Yes, I installed Mythbuntu, not Ubuntu + Myth. I selected "standard" install.

So, assume I create a separate partition as you described, making "mythtv" both owner and group. How do I actually tell the computer to store recordings in the new partition instead of the default? The backend config instructions were vague.

Thank you.

If you have set up a new storage area (and unless you're adding a second harddisk you don't need one), you add the new directory in the backend setup under "Storage Directories".

And like tgm4883 said: no user home directories.

cat2005
October 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM
If you have set up a new storage area (and unless you're adding a second harddisk you don't need one), you add the new directory in the backend setup under "Storage Directories".

And like tgm4883 said: no user home directories.

Done. Thank you. Now all I need to do is understand this strange message:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8083375#post8083375