PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi 9.10 Ubuntu Install Wont Work

ram2008
October 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM
A short while ago I installed 9.10 Beta in Windows XP with the Wubi installer. The installation went fine but when I booted Ubuntu, nothing would work. First got a message saying "this computer has 0 bytes of disk space left." In reality the partition I installed Wubi on has 55 GB of free disk space after I set aside 20 GB for Ubuntu, so I don't know what that was about. Nothing in Ubuntu works. I click on icons and nothing happens. Could not even shut Ubuntu down. Had to hit reset on the computer to get out of it. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? Would appreciate any help.

blindvic
October 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Can I ask you how you installed 9.10? As on wubi website there is only 9.04 version. And i have read that each version of ubuntu needs the same version of wubi

QIII
October 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I know I have seen posts dealing with exactly this issue, but I don't have time to do a good search.

Someone will be along shortly to help.

The only reason I'm posting here is to render an opinion (besides the fact that a Beta is going to be fraught with problems anyway):

Wubi is at best a way to test out Ubuntu and see if you like it, not a permanent solution. For want of a better term, I'd say "training wheels". (And I don't want that to sound snide or uppity. It's really a great way to check it out. If you don't like it, you can chuck it. No harm done.) If you have used Ubuntu or any Linux distro in the past, it would probably be more worth your while to defragment your Windows drive a couple of times and carefully partition your drive for a full, honest to goodness dual-boot install. But I'd wait at least until the Release Candidate of Karmic, unless you want to deal with the pitfalls of a pre-release OS.

Just my opinion.

ram2008
October 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Blindvic,

The 9.10 Beta ISO has 9.10 Wubi. I installed from the CD that I made from that ISO. I opened the CD in Windows XP, clicked on the Wubi installer. That was it. A dialog box opens in which you indicate where Ubuntu is to be installed and how much space is to be allocated to it. Then the installer starts. Hope this helps.

ram2008
October 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
QIII,

Thanks for your reply. No offense taken. I have a functioning 9.04 installation on a separate hard drive. I just wanted to play with 9.10 Beta for two or three weeks before the official release. I'm very familiar with the potential problems of dealing with Beta software. I've been doing this sort of thing for years. :) I figured the problem I'm experiencing with 9.10 Beta is related to the Beta version and not Wubi. Just hoped someone may have a clue how to fix it.

blindvic
October 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Blindvic,

The 9.10 Beta ISO has 9.10 Wubi. I installed from the CD that I made from that ISO. I opened the CD in Windows XP, clicked on the Wubi installer. That was it. A dialog box opens in which you indicate where Ubuntu is to be installed and how much space is to be allocated to it. Then the installer starts. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I didn't know, because i downloaded alternate version. Trying wubi right now

QIII
October 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I run the Beta version on both 32 bit and a 64 bit test machines and I have had no similar problems. So I don't think it's the Beta per se.

I'm sure I've seen Wubi posts with exactly the same issue (space).

I'm leaning towards Wubi rather than the Beta.

(By the way, the last two things I don't like in the Beta:

1. The "out of focus root beer float" spash screen.

2. The clunky login screen.)

ram2008
October 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Well, the post I made last evening about solving the problem with Wubi 9.10 was incorrect. Sorry about that. I thought the site was downloading 9.10 but it is not. It's 9.04! Didn't realize it until I began to notice that the features I expected to be there were missing. So, unfortunately, the problem remains. I guess the Wubi installer is just broken. I hope they fix it before the official release on Oct. 29.

blindvic
October 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll also try that