PDA

View Full Version : What Features does Ubuntu really need?

TTT_travis
February 12th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I recently setup Ubuntu on my server, I found the need for X occasionally so I have been playing around a little bit with linux. I have a Mac so I have no use for Windows or Linux. I have always found linux to be kind of junky and unfriendly and always thought of it as a version of OS X without the good features. When using linux I just feels funny, I had always used Windows comfortably...WAIT nah I remeber now there was the constant need to focus at security etc. But when I got my mac I felt really comfortable right away. Here are some things that need to be changed.

-------
Apps all should use more of a standard look
Need a better control panel (More like System Preferences on a Mac)
NEED Adobe products (!!!!Photoshop!!!! Gimp = eww) (no I'm not gonna use wine)
Need a better office suite, I like what openoffice.org is doing but its just not that good to be honest.
Need iLife equivelent
Need decent music player (Amarok and all the other ones are ugly need iTunes)
Need better default fonts (theres just something about them)
Need better window manager with a dock
NEED to not show any boot text, that makes the user feel scared when all of that text is flowing across the screen.
Need better default themes, need to ditch using a title bar make it built into the window like mac.
Need menu bar at the top of the screen like macs have
----

I honestly wish the linux community would rip off OS X in anyway they can, I will continue to use macs for awhile. I have a good feeling 10 years from now microsoft won't be around anymore and linux might be the top. I know many of these features like office suites aren't avaliable because companies don't think linux's 3% market share or whatever is worth it.
The linux community also needs to push getting linux into schools, not as clients but as servers for the schools main systems instead of schools wasting thousands on software like Novell Netware, the current solutions involving LDAP seem good in thought but once you actually try to set it up it gets messy. There needs to be a full linux server distro with a built in LDAP, Mail, Gradebook/Student Information system, and all of that good stuff thats as good or better then the non-free pricey software. Schools spend too much money on software and not enough on the important stuff like hardware. I think for now Windows is fine for client side at schools since students need good software and yikes..Microsoft Office and that linux just isn't ready. My personal opinion is that macs would be the best for schools for Server side and Client side but schools don't think so I guess.

xequence
February 12th, 2006, 01:47 AM

I hate iTunes extremly. Who really needs some bloated super giant program to listen to music?

NEED to not show any boot text, that makes the user feel scared when all of that text is flowing across the screen.

Close your eyes.

Almost all gnome apps look very alike, same for kde.

Let me get on that one. Ill be finished by tomorow.

Need a better office suite, I like what openoffice.org is doing but its just not that good to be honest.

Both Office 2003, Openoffice.org, and Appleworks all work great for me.

Need better default themes, need to ditch using a title bar make it built into the window like mac.

DUDE! Listen to yourself! THOSE WOULD JUST MAKE LINUX LIKE OSX.

You seem to like OSX so much... The top bar thingy, the dock, etc. Why dont you just use it instead of trying to make linux like it?

All the things you posted were "linux should be _____, like mac os"

Jimmey
February 12th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Here are some things that need to be changed.

That's just so wrong.

It sounds like you waltzed into Linux expecting OS X. They're not the same. If you want things changing, then you might want to look into changing them yourself. Linux isn't OS X. It will never be OS X. If you don't like it, then damnit, you shouldn't have to put up with it - stay with OS X, where there's no complaints.

I honestly wish the linux community would rip off OS X in anyway they can

Many may disagree. Including myself.

It seems that you've a personal preference for OS X. Which, itself, isn't a bad thing. But, emphasis must not be placed on the word

personal.

Not everyone loves OS X. Not everyone loves Linux. It sounds like you're quite comfortable with OS X; and it sounds like Ubuntu just isn't for you. Which, again's not a bad thing.

But, to suggest that a whole operating system should change because of your personal preference is wrong. There are many other operating systems, beside Ubuntu. If you don't like it - which, you've made clear in no uncertain terms, you don't - then you shouldn't use it. Use another, more suited to your tastes. Don't ask that Ubuntu should change.

eriefisher
February 12th, 2006, 01:59 AM
You definitely prefer OSX to Linux.
Linux is highly configurable, you can make look like a Mac if you like. There many different A/V players to choose from. As far as Photoshop, try Gimpshop, I here its pretty good. For office apps OSX uses Microsoft Office??? and openoffice will read and doc produced from it. I'm sure you can find an equivalent or better to any app you use in mac for linux. Besides OSX is just a GUI for BSD, another 'NIX.

eriefisher

fuscia
February 12th, 2006, 02:03 AM
beaver

drfalkor
February 12th, 2006, 02:04 AM
A good 2D graphic editor app, like Photoshop- gimp is a good alternative for now.. but not for long.
We already have a good 3D graphic editor app,.. blender <3 !

More games, like WoW, CoD2, and so on...

Gnome needs a speedboost.. Metacity is so damn slow!.. Anyway,.. gnome(ubuntu) needs eyecandy... well, there is something very awesome that is coming... XGL !;) (Can't wait for it)

AND,.. ubuntu needs to work MORE OUT OF THE BOX!.. I know its working nice already, but it needs to be more of what I said.. printers, webcam, cameras, etc needs to work out of the box !!

Anyway,.. I'm happy with my ubuntu, but- if all these things I said is coming, then I could remvoe my windows(and get more hdd space)
:D

TTT_travis
February 12th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Sorry if I sounded like the average anti-linux user and mac fanboy in that post. After reading it I did put allot of mac features in there, but I really do like Macs, I don't think linux should be OS X but some things about linux make me feel uncomfortable. I really do like linux....for servers. But if I were to install Linux on a few of my friends computers I can't see them liking it. And to the person who said itunes was bloated? ummmm WHAT? anyway sorry to sound so mad. I think linux is great and like what they have accomplished so far but still.
:-D

Edit: oh and I have tried gimpshop and I can't say I like it, menu structure is still horrible and theres no blending options, I blame adobe for not porting photoshop to linux.

engla
February 12th, 2006, 02:39 AM
And to the person who said itunes was bloated? ummmm WHAT? anyway sorry to sound so mad.iTunes is a music player, video player, music store browser and podcast syndicator, cd burner and internet radio client...
That's pretty much, I mean the web browser [the store] and video player is bloat, if you ask me.

poofyhairguy
February 12th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I don't think linux should be OS X but some things about linux make me feel uncomfortable.

Then you are not a big Linux person. No big deal. From your list you are a Mac person. I have EXACTLY what I want today in Ubuntu and would not want some things on your list. I'm glad there are diverse options!

xequence
February 12th, 2006, 02:58 AM
And to the person who said itunes was bloated? ummmm WHAT? anyway sorry to sound so mad.

By bloated, I meant slow.

After I add my 7GB of music into it, scrolling down with the scrollbar is super slow.

fuscia
February 12th, 2006, 03:26 AM
i'd like to see a sparse setup for the end user. you know...all the starkness without all the work.

tikal26
February 12th, 2006, 03:39 AM
-------
Need a better control panel (More like System Preferences on a Mac)

kubuntu has a nice one, KDE is working on this (don't know about Gnome someone can enlight me)

that is Adobe businnes detition. The gimp is getting better and better with each release. Try Krita

They are working on it. Even apple is taking it slow so far they only have two application so we need to give it some time. Also, koffice 1.5 is about to come out, give it a try and remember that it is version 1.5.

Need iLife equivelent

I remember reading in digg soemthing about a ubuntu equivalent, but can't find any info on it

That is a question of Taste. Many people find Amarok superior to iTunes. You might also want to keep and eye out for songbird
www.songbirdnest.com . It looks cool a linux version is coming out in a few weeks.

Need better default fonts (theres just something about them)
Yeap. I agree

i actually like that I know exactly what is going on. An option to turn it off might be a good idea.

Need menu bar at the top of the screen like macs have
Again a question of personal taset

Finally the beauty about Linux is that you can make it look whatever way you want. Take a look at
www.gnokme-look.org
www.kde-look.org

----

aysiu
February 12th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Deja Vu?

drfalkor
February 12th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Deja Vu?
jepp, but now I'm a part of it .

TTT_travis
February 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM
sweet songbird looks awesome, looking forward to that

sizzam
February 12th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Audio, audio, audio, audio.

Getting sound to work correctly has me pulling my hair out constantly. I should be able to install Ubuntu, and out of the box be able to have sound come from XMMS, Flash, Frozen Bubble, and everything else simultaneously and in any combination.

Iandefor
February 12th, 2006, 05:40 AM
And to the person who said itunes was bloated? ummmm WHAT? anyway sorry to sound so mad. iTunes seems pretty bad in terms of bloat if you compare it to something like BMP or XMMS (or even mpg123, for that matter).

BoyOfDestiny
February 12th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Audio, audio, audio, audio.

Getting sound to work correctly has me pulling my hair out constantly. I should be able to install Ubuntu, and out of the box be able to have sound come from XMMS, Flash, Frozen Bubble, and everything else simultaneously and in any combination.

The only machine I have this, is my desktop with ubuntu breezy 64 (now dapper 64). I have an audigy2 souncard, if you disable esd and set ALSA as the default and install alsa-oss, I get sound from dozens of apps at the same time, perfectly... However this is not out of the box... I will test dapper on my laptop soon... I hope ALSA plus dmix will allow what you speak of on a non-decent soundcard...
Anyway, I agree 100% that ubuntu needs this, I can't speak for everyone, but every single machine I've put ubuntu on has run into this (I'm not sure about my desktop, since the first thing I did was disable esd, etc, and was pleasantly surprised... :))

mstlyevil
February 12th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Ubuntu needs to pick the winning lottery numbers for me.

Deaf_Head
February 12th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Wait, is it just me or is travis saying "Linux should be a free OSX that runs without emulation on PC's"?

At anyrate, you can make gnome look and act very similar to OS X as far as the way the gui acts.

annsachd
February 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I use OS X everyday for work. Ubuntu feels faster. I like the look of it too.

Two different OSes and I like the differences. No major complaints about either.

Enjoy what you have. If you don't like it, change it. That's what living in an open source, I mean free society is all about, right?

Jimmey
February 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah - You hit the nail right on the head there.

dada1958
February 12th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I have a Mac and an Ubuntu PC. I like the both of them. I don't feel the urge to make Ubuntu look like Mac OS X. I like Photoshop and I do like the Gimp. It's fun to see Adobe is getting some competition from the open source community with apps like Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus, quite interesting developments. :D
I'm not an office man though I use OpenOffice.org to open the .docs I get from my work.
Fonts? You can search and install them, here is a nice collection (http://www.alvit.de/blog/article/20-best-license-free-official-fonts).