PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] one.ubuntu.com, How does it work?

ndefontenay
October 8th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Hello,

I've got my one.ubuntu.com account set and ready. I've installed the client and I see one.ubuntu.com in my client.

I was hoping that by dragging any files from my home to one.ubuntu.com folder, it would push them to my storage at one.ubuntu.com.

Yet, nothing happens.

My goal was to backup my files (not much just a few spreadsheets and contacts (hardly 5MB) automatically anytime changes would occur on these file.

I understand it's supposed to sync across computers but to do so it would have to sync from comp to one.ubuntu.com. Is that right?

I'm not sure at all about how to use it. If anybody else has a bit more experience than me, I would love a little help.

Also, I haven't tried the "shared with me" feature so if anyone wants to try that with me, most welcome as well.

thanks a lot,

Nico

wojox
October 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I just login to my account at ubuntu one and upload my files and it syncs from there.

juancarlospaco
October 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
File permissions, authentication, connection

donniezazen
October 9th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I think if you just want to backup some documents and share them then you should try Google Docs. You may do full text editing in Google Docs and it is instantly available to the shared users.

ndefontenay
October 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Hi so if I got it straight, it's not possible to just put a file to the one.ubuntu.com in "Places" on my computer.

I have to first upload it there and then it will be available to me on the computer. Will it then sync up when I modify it? Or only sync up when I put the new version using the upload mode to any other computer also sharing the same account?

thanks

Nico

castrojo
October 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hi so if I got it straight, it's not possible to just put a file to the one.ubuntu.com in "Places" on my computer.

When you put files in your Ubuntu One directory it should automatically sync to one.ubuntu.com.

Millemillimeter
November 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hello,

I have added two computers to my ubuntu one account and I think it is supposed to sync files so that if I put files in the ubuntu one folder on one computer, the files should be synced to the web and then also synced with the other computer (downloaded to the other computers one folder)? I dont get the files synced to the other computer. But is this how it is supposed to work?

Thanks

joshuahoover
November 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hello,

I have added two computers to my ubuntu one account and I think it is supposed to sync files so that if I put files in the ubuntu one folder on one computer, the files should be synced to the web and then also synced with the other computer (downloaded to the other computers one folder)? I dont get the files synced to the other computer. But is this how it is supposed to work?

Thanks

Yes, computers hooked up to the same Ubuntu One account should sync files with the Ubuntu One cloud as well as to each other. We have been experiencing some performance issues with our messaging infrastructure that may make the sync between computers slow. The best way to force the sync between the two computers is to disconnect the Ubuntu One client and then connect.

Thank you,

Joshua

ndefontenay
November 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Moved to 9.10 since. Works like a charm :)

Thanks for the answers though ^^

Richy
November 11th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 on my desktop and my laptop.
Laptop is working like a charme. However, the desktop doesn't see/show/sync any files. Also, if i hit disconnect in the ubuntu one folder, it won't connect again.
Is that a known problem?
Where can i start to look for reasons? (e.g. there doesn't seem to be a /var/log/ubuntuone or similar)

Thanks a lot

Richard

cerqueira
November 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Yes, I second that. Sometimes, on any computer, Ubuntu One will not sync all the files. Disconnecting and reconnecting will do the trick, when it works. A "sync now" button would be helpfull.

manoriax
November 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM
a "sync now" button would be helpfull.

+1.