PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean install?

UncleMonty
October 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Are there any advantages to wiping the drive and reinstalling the operating system from stratch? (I've installed a new graphics card but the new OS doesn't seem to have noticed).

pmlxuser
October 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM
clean install only advantage is that you can start from scratch and don't have to worry about configuration i,e editing existing files to match your new hardware.

when you say your new system doen't seem to notice do you mean you wanted the system to say you hacve installed a new hardware. well during installtion your hardware was considered part of the system so it doesn't ahve to be specifically noted if it doen't need restricted drivers or do you mean your hardware is not recorgnized??

donato roque
October 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I've always done it that way since 6.10, clean install, download the iso then wipe the /directory. Run install disk and mount /home back.
I have gone through 6 Ubuntu versions without any hiccups in the installation. It's boring but I get through it. :)

UncleMonty
October 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
clean install only advantage is that you can start from scratch and don't have to worry about configuration i,e editing existing files to match your new hardware.

when you say your new system doen't seem to notice do you mean you wanted the system to say you hacve installed a new hardware. well during installtion your hardware was considered part of the system so it doesn't ahve to be specifically noted if it doen't need restricted drivers or do you mean your hardware is not recorgnized??

I changed the graphics card because the previous one (an intel) was having issues but the new one is having the same issues (I can't run games, enable desktop effects and various other things)