PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Just increasing storage for paid users?

PhoHammer
October 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
It looks like Canonical is increasing storage for users of Ubuntu One. However,
it is only for paid customers... Link (http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/01/ubuntu-one-canonical-raising-storage-limit/)

If they can give 50 GB for $10/month, why can't they give me more than 2 GB for free?
Storage is pretty cheap and I would definitely use Ubuntu One more if I could
at least back up my all of my photos (3.9 GB)...

I know I shouldn't complain about a good/free thing, but it seems like they are leaving
nonpaid users out in the cold here.

darksideforge
October 7th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I know I shouldn't complain about a good/free thing, but it seems like they are leaving
nonpaid users out in the cold here.

You're right...you shouldn't. Or so it seems to me. Maybe you should call them and see if you can get the 1.9GB you need for a minimal $1 a month or something...I dunno, just a thought.

donniezazen
October 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM
You're right...you shouldn't. Or so it seems to me. Maybe you should call them and see if you can get the 1.9GB you need for a minimal $1 a month or something...I dunno, just a thought.

I do not need 50GB of space. I wish if they could come up with something like 20GB for $4.99.

osomphane
October 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I do not need 50GB of space. I wish if they could come up with something like 20GB for $4.99.

seconded, or 10GB for $2 :P

andrea000
October 8th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I would gladly pay 24 dollars a year for 10 gig

darksideforge
October 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Maybe you guys'll get lucky and Canonical will see this thread.

sfabel
October 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I think the business model is a little off. First, 2 gig is really not that useful, especially if you already have Dropbox, which gives me even a little more than 2 GB since I referred a couple of friends.

Second, $10 per month for storage, no matter how much, is simply too much money. I can buy terabytes of usb storage with that kind of money and simply rsync it or use unison. I know, not nearly as comfortable, but $120 per year ... that's too much.

I know they're trying to make Ubuntu One more than just storage, since I believe they're trying to save addresses and such also to it, which would make things a little more interesting, but I would have to see what it ends up with.

Nice would be complete configuration sync, including addresses, calendars, e-mails and bookmarks (the latter I believe is in the making?). In short, a complete Google Apps, just "free" as in freedom.

Stephan

HavocXphere
October 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
If they can give 50 GB for $10/month, why can't they give me more than 2 GB for free?
Storage is pretty cheap
:confused: Surreal thread this.

Ubuntu One uses Amazon S3 as its backend. If you look at amazon pricing, you'll see that the profit margin on the 50GB deal is razor slim. A slightly enthusiastic user on that 50GB deal can easily cost Ubuntu One more than he/she is paying. And thats before any other business costs.

Looking at the pricing I find it amazing that they are even offering 2gb free....they must be running at one hell of a loss as is.

Storage

* $0.150 per GB first 50 TB / month of storage used
* $0.140 per GB next 50 TB / month of storage used
* $0.130 per GB next 400 TB /month of storage used
* $0.120 per GB storage used / month over 500 TB

Data Transfer

* $0.100 per GB all data transfer in

* $0.170 per GB first 10 TB / month data transfer out
* $0.130 per GB next 40 TB / month data transfer out
* $0.110 per GB next 100 TB / month data transfer out
* $0.100 per GB data transfer out / month over 150 TB

Requests

* $0.01 per 1,000 PUT, COPY, POST, or LIST requests
* $0.01 per 10,000 GET and all other requests*

joshuahoover
October 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Maybe you guys'll get lucky and Canonical will see this thread.

We're reading this thread. :) I'm passing this along to our Product Manager to take a look at and consider.

As Ubuntu One continues to mature, there will be more services included in the paid plans. Our intent was never to be simply a file sharing/syncing/storage service. With that said, we're always listening to our users and we may find that there is a spot for another plan between free and our current $10 a month plan.

Thank you,

Joshua

PhoHammer
October 16th, 2009, 03:25 AM
We're reading this thread. :) I'm passing this along to our Product Manager to take a look at and consider.

As Ubuntu One continues to mature, there will be more services included in the paid plans. Our intent was never to be simply a file sharing/syncing/storage service. With that said, we're always listening to our users and we may find that there is a spot for another plan between free and our current $10 a month plan.

Thank you,

Joshua

They really care about us!:)

Garyu
October 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
As Ubuntu One continues to mature, there will be more services included in the paid plans.

For me it's not so much about storage. If I could get these services listed below, I would gladly pay more than $10 a month:
* Mail sync (including folders and settings if I install on a new computer)
* IM sync (chat history in sync on all machines, what a dream)
* Firefox history sync (so I never have to look for that http://whatever I visited when at home/work/laptop when I'm at the other place)

Helping me remember things would be priceless. Storage for files would be just a bonus if I had that.

fs3rp4
October 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
:confused: Surreal thread this.

Ubuntu One uses Amazon S3 as its backend. If you look at amazon pricing, you'll see that the profit margin on the 50GB deal is razor slim. A slightly enthusiastic user on that 50GB deal can easily cost Ubuntu One more than he/she is paying. And thats before any other business costs.

Looking at the pricing I find it amazing that they are even offering 2gb free....they must be running at one hell of a loss as is.

They are using the wrong partner. Mozy charge $ 5,00 per month for unlimited storage and transfer. Mozy don't have a Linux client, and I think this is the best opportunity to have a partner...

SuperSonic4
October 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I would be too worried about what would happen to my data if I paid for extra space if I were to cancel my subscription (hypothetical since I don't have an account). Then Canononical would have to delete my data. Capital costs are usually safer than recurring costs especially in a global recession

joshuahoover
October 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I would be too worried about what would happen to my data if I paid for extra space if I were to cancel my subscription (hypothetical since I don't have an account). Then Canononical would have to delete my data. Capital costs are usually safer than recurring costs especially in a global recession

If you get a paid account and then later on decide to go back to a free plan or cancel completely, you'll still have your data on your computers. Ubuntu One isn't a virtual drive in the cloud, we synchronize the files between computers. We still believe in the value of the desktop and local storage. :-)

Joshua

Cheator
October 29th, 2009, 03:04 PM
If you get a paid account and then later on decide to go back to a free plan or cancel completely, you'll still have your data on your computers. Ubuntu One isn't a virtual drive in the cloud, we synchronize the files between computers. We still believe in the value of the desktop and local storage. :-)

Joshua

Exactly, there is a difference. Using Dropbox is much better than Mozy (in some ways) because you store it on your local drive and it syncs in a transparent way to the user. UbuntuOne seems to work in the same way.

I agree though that there should be something in between 50 gig. I'd pay for it.

KrazyPenguin
October 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
+1 $4.99 for 20GB.

;-)

DeathFire
October 30th, 2009, 12:06 AM
seconded, or 10GB for $2 :P

On the flipside, I would actually like to have more storage to have more file availability between the programs I use on my desktop and on the road. There wouldn't be much data movement between the systems, but the availability of so many files is important. 200 or 300 GB would be amazing for me!

donsmi
May 2nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
I realize that this is an old thread, but it seems to be the only one with pricing discussion/ideas.

I would like to see an annual payment option.
As an example, Dropbox is 9.99$/mnth, and 99$/yr. One annual payment with a little discount would be preferable for me, and I'm sure a few other people.
Something to think about.

joshuahoover
May 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
I realize that this is an old thread, but it seems to be the only one with pricing discussion/ideas.

I would like to see an annual payment option.
As an example, Dropbox is 9.99$/mnth, and 99$/yr. One annual payment with a little discount would be preferable for me, and I'm sure a few other people.
Something to think about.

This is something we may do in the future along with other pricing options. Nothing has been set yet, but if you want to know about any news along these fronts, the best place to follow is on our blog: http://voices.canonical.com/ubuntuone/

Thanks!

Joshua