PDA

View Full Version : Praise the mythtv lord

prupert
October 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hiya

I've long been too scared to try MythTV, although I have read many things about it (since I had read that is was a bugget to get configured). I was a fairly long time user of MediaPortal, as my HTPC came with XP Media Centre pre-installed. After finding out that my HTPC actually came with a cracked version of MCE (so that's what the AntiWPA window was that flashed briefly on boot) I decided now was a good a time as any to dip my toes into MythTV via Mythbuntu.

All, I can say is AWESOME!!

It installed without a hitch, it detected my USB DVB-T dongle no problem, it found all the Freeview channels it could, it populated the EPG and it even worked with my IR Remote from day one. I didn't have to once read through any instructions or anything to get the box up an running, the only thing I needed to do was add a special xorg repo to get my naff Intel on-board svideo out working (found via that handy Post Your MythTV How To's on this very forum).

So, KUDOS to you Mythbuntu people, and to the MythTV developers. My only complaint would be that the helpful Explanation text, displayed on the MythTV setup windows when you first setup MythTV doesn't appear to scroll (on my 19" non widescreen anyway) so I couldn't always read the full explanation of each option when I was configuring MythTV the first time. But that is a cosmetic issue.

All I have to do now is figure out to get resume/standby working (D945GCLF2 board) and find a nice looking Theme/Skin, since I am use to XBMC's beauty.

Once again, great work guys, truly great work.

(Sorry for CAPS in the title, but when the install worked so well, I was so "over-the-moon (c)Mythbuntu 2009", I wanted to shout, so that is the nearest I could get).
EDIT: Argh, no caps in the title. Damn, ok, here ya go:

PRAISE THE MYTHTV LORD!!!!

cat2005
October 6th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Hiya

I've long been too scared to try MythTV, although I have read many things about it (since I had read that is was a bugget to get configured). I was a fairly long time user of MediaPortal, as my HTPC came with XP Media Centre pre-installed. After finding out that my HTPC actually came with a cracked version of MCE (so that's what the AntiWPA window was that flashed briefly on boot) I decided now was a good a time as any to dip my toes into MythTV via Mythbuntu.

All, I can say is AWESOME!!

It installed without a hitch, it detected my USB DVB-T dongle no problem, it found all the Freeview channels it could, it populated the EPG and it even worked with my IR Remote from day one. I didn't have to once read through any instructions or anything to get the box up an running, the only thing I needed to do was add a special xorg repo to get my naff Intel on-board svideo out working (found via that handy Post Your MythTV How To's on this very forum).

So, KUDOS to you Mythbuntu people, and to the MythTV developers. My only complaint would be that the helpful Explanation text, displayed on the MythTV setup windows when you first setup MythTV doesn't appear to scroll (on my 19" non widescreen anyway) so I couldn't always read the full explanation of each option when I was configuring MythTV the first time. But that is a cosmetic issue.

All I have to do now is figure out to get resume/standby working (D945GCLF2 board) and find a nice looking Theme/Skin, since I am use to XBMC's beauty.

Once again, great work guys, truly great work.

(Sorry for CAPS in the title, but when the install worked so well, I was so "over-the-moon (c)Mythbuntu 2009", I wanted to shout, so that is the nearest I could get).
EDIT: Argh, no caps in the title. Damn, ok, here ya go:

PRAISE THE MYTHTV LORD!!!!

You can show the MYTHTV LORD your appreciation by posting your hardware config on this website (I believe there is a sticky thread for just that purpose). It could serve as a useful resource for other potential followers! :)

prupert
October 6th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Already done;)