PDA

View Full Version : multiple commands as argument to gnome-terminal - and "error creating the child pr...

sdaau
October 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hi all,

I quite like the possibility to use gnome-terminal to spawn a terminal window, and run a bash script in it. While running something like:

gnome-terminal -e "/path/to/myscript.sh"
works fine, I was wandering how is it possible to pass a series of bash commands, say

echo AAA
read
directly as an argument to gnome-terminal.

One of the biggest problems is that even on its own,

gnome-terminal -e "read"
will cause the infamous message "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal"; and without the read command, the newly spawned terminal window will execute without any feedback and close itself.

Finally, I managed to find #457846 - gnome-terminal.wrapper: problem with a particular command - Debian Bug report logs (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=457846)

xterm supports both:
1. xterm -e command with separate arguments
2. xterm -e 'command line'

It appears to do this by first trying:
a. execvp(argv[0], argv)
then if there is a single argument:
b. execl(shell, basename(shell), '-c', argv[0], NULL)
else
c. execl(shell, basename(shell), NULL)
But I think (c) isn't really important.

gnome-terminal -e behaves like (b) and gnome-terminal -x behaves like
(a). I think that the wrapper should translate -e to -e only where
there is exactly one argument following and 'which' cannot find a
command by that name; otherwise it should translate it to -x.

Which pointed to me a possible solution - that is, pass the multiline set of commands as arguments to 'bash', which is itself the argument to gnome-terminal:

gnome-terminal -e "bash -c 'echo AAA; read'"
so also this works:

$ gnome-terminal -e "bash -c 'echo AAA
> read'
> "
However, I cannot find a proper document here variant; for instance the following:

gnome-terminal -e "bash -c <<EOF
set -x # debug output
echo AAA
read
EOF "
just shows a new terminal and exits. So, if anyone knows if a document-here type syntax would be possible, please post :)

Thanks,
Cheers...