PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to TalkTalk wireless internet -- problem

freechiru
October 2nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I am a complete beginner with Ubuntu -- I bought my netbook about four hours ago. It's a Toshiba NB100, refurbished, running Ubuntu Netbook Remix, so far working fine. Except that I can't connect to my home internet.

It's provided by TalkTalk, using the supplied EchoLife HG520s router, and is working fine on my laptop (running Vista). The netbook can find the network, but when I try to connect to it, it asks for a passphrase or encryption key. I've tried every variation of what I'm positive is our network key -- as both "Open System" and "Shared Key" -- but all it does is try to connect (hovering over the network connections icon produces "Waiting for network key") for a minute or so before asking for the key again, or sometimes just doing nothing (the network connections icon returns to "No network connections").

I've looked through the forums and gathered that it might be something to do with the router only working with Windows -- that it needs certain drivers that only work on Windows. I've also gathered that it might be possible to run those drivers using Wine. However, I don't know what drivers I'd need to run (there may be a CD -- I will check) and my netbook does not come with Wine installed. It is available in the Add/remove applications area, but the checkbox is ghosted, so I can't even begin to install it, and I think I'd need a network connection to download it anyway. Even more confusingly, if I search for all applications, an icon for Wine appears, but on double-clicking, I'm told it can't run because it doesn't have a folder.

Please could someone try and put me out of my misery? I can probably provide any more information that might be required if necessary. Thanks for your help!

Chiru