PDA

View Full Version : C++ IDE for Heron

xxguitarist
October 2nd, 2009, 05:38 AM
Tried a few the other day on my desktop. Can't remember exactly which version of ubuntu I have on there, but I imagine that whatever works on the laptop would work there too.

Tried geany, and liked the interface, but couldn't get the code to execute in the IDE, though it seemed to compile okay.

Looking for a good, simple IDE- ideally with the ability to execute from the IDE. Highlighting etc are a plus.

TheStatsMan
October 2nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
Tried a few the other day on my desktop. Can't remember exactly which version of ubuntu I have on there, but I imagine that whatever works on the laptop would work there too.

Tried geany, and liked the interface, but couldn't get the code to execute in the IDE, though it seemed to compile okay.

Looking for a good, simple IDE- ideally with the ability to execute from the IDE. Highlighting etc are a plus.

You could try code::blocks

Zugzwang
October 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM

Assuming that you are interested in C and/or C++, I'd like to mention that I've recently written a tutorial for the KDevelop IDE featuring the basics of compiling, building and executing a program. KDevelop is relatively simple, especially when it comes to debugging.

It is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1258665

kavon89
October 2nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Try NetBeans with the C/C++ Plugin.

originalsynthesis
October 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM

I had to tweak it a bit to get it working. Do you have your terminal set up properly in EDIT>Preferences>Tools? The terminal field should say something like: usr/bin/gnome-terminal.

You might also check "Set includes and arguments", from the build menu, which tells geany what run commands to do on execute.

So far, geany is my fav, since I am just learning c++ and I really don't like wrangling with big IDE's when I just want to do basic stuff. Code::Blocks is nice, but it seems like overkill when you just want to learn how the language works.

xxguitarist
October 4th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I had to tweak it a bit to get it working. Do you have your terminal set up properly in EDIT>Preferences>Tools? The terminal field should say something like: usr/bin/gnome-terminal.

You might also check "Set includes and arguments", from the build menu, which tells geany what run commands to do on execute.

So far, geany is my fav, since I am just learning c++ and I really don't like wrangling with big IDE's when I just want to do basic stuff. Code::Blocks is nice, but it seems like overkill when you just want to learn how the language works.

I checked my terminal location, and it was not correct, but I have corrected it and it still will not execute my program.

The Cog
October 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Don't know about C++, but with C stuff in geany you have to menu Build before Execute. Compile makes the .obj file but Build makes the executable.

xxguitarist
October 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Don't know about C++, but with C stuff in geany you have to menu Build before Execute. Compile makes the .obj file but Build makes the executable.
That's the ticket! Strange that it doesn't show on the main toolbar next to compile & execute.
Thanks!