PDA

View Full Version : Java RMI registry.bind() on Ubuntu Jaunty

Marcelo Ruiz
September 30th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hello All!

I am having a problem with RMI running on Linux (I use Ubuntu 9.04). Maybe some of you faced the same problem I do now and found a solution for this and can share it with me.

I get a RemoteException each time I try to bind a stub with the RMI Registry. According to the posts I read, most people have problems with client calls, but I cannot even get close to it.

I do rmic the code before executing it and as far as I know I don't need to be worried about setting up a policy file or a SecurityManager for this.

I read the item A.1 in the RMI FAQ, but I couldn't get it working. I also googled about this but all the information I read related to clients trying to connect to an existent working server (and I can not even get this working).

My static IP Address in my network is 192.168.0.101

## My /etc/hosts file content:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 lobo-laptop

## My /etc/hosts.allow file content:

ALL: 192.168.0.111, 192.168.0.112, 192.168.0.100, 127.0.0.1, 127.0.1.1

## The (trimmed and simplyfied) relevant part of my code follows:

//DataServer Inteface extends Remote.
DataServer instance = new DataServerImpl();
DataServer stub;
Registry rmiRegistry;

//I read in the net that hostname should map the computer's host name,
//but I tried this after trying without setting this property and
//it didn't work (also tried my IP Addr with no luck).
System.setProperty("java.rmi.server.hostname", "lobo-laptop");

try {
stub = (DataServer) UnicastRemoteObject.exportObject(instance));
rmiRegistry = LocateRegistry.getRegistry();

//Here is where the exception is thrown.
rmiRegistry.rebind("DataServer", stub);
} catch (RemoteException re) {
re.printStackTrace();
System.err.println();
}

## stub information:

DataServerImpl_Stub[UnicastRef [liveRef: [endpoint:[lobo-laptop:47839](local),objID:[-31110a77:12407db5840:-7fff, -6460063892832792796]]]]

## registry information:

RegistryImpl_Stub[UnicastRef [liveRef: [endpoint:[127.0.1.1:1099](remote),objID:[0:0:0, 0]]]]

## Exception information:

1. ----REMOTE EXCEPTION----
2. java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 127.0.1.1; nested exception is:
3. java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
4. at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEnd point.java:601)
5. at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection( TCPChannel.java:198)
6. at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCP Channel.java:184)
7. at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(UnicastRef.java: 322)
8. at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.rebind(Unknown Source)
9. at suncertify.db.DataServerImpl.finishCompositeInitia lization(DataServerImpl.java:327)
10. at suncertify.common.AbstractCompositeComponent.finis hInitialization(AbstractCompositeComponent.java:20 6)
11. at suncertify.common.AbstractComponent.initialize(Abs tractComponent.java:101)
12. at suncertify.db.DataServerImplTest.constructor(DataS erverImplTest.java:175)
13. at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
14. at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
15. at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
16. at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
17. at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runRefle ctiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:44)
18. at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallabl e.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
19. at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExpl osively(FrameworkMethod.java:41)
20. at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod .evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:20)
21. at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.e valuate(RunBefores.java:28)
22. at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunAfters.ev aluate(RunAfters.java:31)
23. at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild( BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:73)
24. at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild( BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:46)
25. at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentR unner.java:180)
26. at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRu nner.java:41)
27. at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.evaluate(ParentRu nner.java:173)
28. at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.e valuate(RunBefores.java:28)
29. at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunAfters.ev aluate(RunAfters.java:31)
30. at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.ja va:220)
31. at junit.framework.JUnit4TestAdapter.run(JUnit4TestAd apter.java:39)
32. at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnit TestRunner.run(JUnitTestRunner.java:420)
33. at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnit TestRunner.launch(JUnitTestRunner.java:911)
34. at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnit TestRunner.main(JUnitTestRunner.java:768)
35. Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
36. at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
37. at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl .java:333)
38. at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSoc ketImpl.java:195)
39. at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.j ava:182)
40. at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.j ava:366)
41. at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:519)
42. at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:469)
43. at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:366)
44. at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:180)
45. at sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIDirectSocketFactory.cre ateSocket(RMIDirectSocketFactory.java:22)
46. at sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIMasterSocketFactory.cre ateSocket(RMIMasterSocketFactory.java:128)
47. at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEnd point.java:595)
48. ... 30 more

It looks weird to me that the Registry implementation was bound to 127.0.1.1, and also that its ObjID is [0:0:0, 0].
It also seems that hava is not able to create sockets, but Ubuntu's log mechanism has no information about

Any ideas on how to solve this?
Thanks!

annu2127
September 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM
There's a better option to do that,,....just take the eclipse plugin & make use of it.......i was having same Exception & then i installed it & was able to do things successfully....The plugins Page Link is: http://www.genady.net/rmi/v20/downloads.html enjoy!!! ):P

annu2127
September 17th, 2010, 07:39 AM
The actual reason is the rmiregistry service on your machine is not running......u hav two ways to solve it......

1) start terminal, type "rmiregistry" (without quotes) & hit enter. it will look like something has hanged up....but the service has been started........run your code now & things will work (only till the terminal looks in hanging state). closing the terminal or stopping the rmiregistry by ctrl+c will stop it.

2) second way is to add following snippet in your code -
static
{
try
{
LocateRegistry.createRegistry(1099);
}
catch (RemoteException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
}
}

this will start the service till your code is running (on the default port 1099).

):P