PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Won't save IPv4 settings

bigboy7foru
September 29th, 2009, 09:44 PM
So every time i shut down the machine and restart it the settings are all gone!!

Is there a file that i need to edit or creat that will keep them there??

Any and all help Appreciated
Aaron

Iowan
September 30th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Where/how are you setting them?

cariboo
September 30th, 2009, 01:37 AM
+1 to Iowan, what version of Ubuntu are you using?

doas777
September 30th, 2009, 01:42 AM
if you are using intrepid or jaunty and network manager to set your config, I found that to get it to save a static ip, I had to delete the "auto eth0" card in network manager, and readd it. you can find your mac/hwaddr with
ifconfigwith luck your settings will save.

nandemonai
September 30th, 2009, 02:05 AM
if you are using intrepid or jaunty and network manager to set your config, I found that to get it to save a static ip, I had to delete the "auto eth0" card in network manager, and readd it. you can find your mac/hwaddr with
ifconfigwith luck your settings will save.

+1

This is a known bug in Intrepid. Jaunty fixed the issue for me though.

doas777
September 30th, 2009, 02:09 AM
+1

This is a known bug in Intrepid. Jaunty fixed the issue for me though.

it's quite possible that i'm still doing it out of habit. lol

have fun

bigboy7foru
September 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Well I go in to the System>Preferences>Network Configuration and manually put in the eth2 settings

IP, Netmask, gateway, DNS, and Search Domains
Also it is an Static IP

There is only a Eth1, Eth2, Br0, and a Lo

Eth0 was deleted a while back

Is there any other info you guys need?

Iowan
October 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM
Under Jaunty, I usually use the Network Manager applet to add/edit connections. Seems like it was a bit tricky to get it to enter some data (I don't remember if I needed to TAB, click, or ENTER).
Do you actually have multiple interfaces - eth1 and eth2? (My laptop uses eth1 for it's wireless) Did you create the bridge (Br0)?

bigboy7foru
October 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Under Jaunty, I usually use the Network Manager applet to add/edit connections. Seems like it was a bit tricky to get it to enter some data (I don't remember if I needed to TAB, click, or ENTER).
Do you actually have multiple interfaces - eth1 and eth2? (My laptop uses eth1 for it's wireless) Did you create the bridge (Br0)?

Yes we have a LAN(eth1) and WAN(eth2) connection and the br0 is the bridge we created

im running the 8.10 version8.10Intrepid Ibex8.10Intrepid Ibex Intrepid Ibex

i tried using Jaunty but the openVPN wouldn't work

Thanks
Aaron

vaibhav123
May 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM
i am facing the same problem.....i manually entered te ip address through system>prefrences>network config> auto eth0 >ipv4 settings....

i have to enter them every time i restart.....