PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which version with XP

bigboy7foru
September 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
ok so i have a machine that i am running xp on and i wanna dual boot ubuntu on it as well

whats the best way to do this

i think i wanna install it inside of windows. but im not sure

any and all opinions and suggestions welcome

Thanks
Aaron

nhasian
September 29th, 2009, 08:40 PM
do you only have 1 hard disk in your computer? you can resize it to make a new partition for ubuntu, else install ubuntu to a secondary drive. the Beta of Karmic Koala comes out on Thursday. I recommend it because it comes standard with grub2 and ext4. plus it has much better support for intel & ati graphics cards than 9.04 did.

bigboy7foru
September 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM
its just one drive at the moment but im looking to add another i have some at home i just need a way to power it up lol I need to find a floppy power adapter to a HDD power lol

i think theres one around here somewhere

O i have a machine with 2 drives maybe i can install it here and then just install that drive

crewkid89
September 29th, 2009, 09:22 PM
if you want to install it inside of windows the the Ubuntu Cd image comes with the Wubi installer (wubi.exe). It allows you to install ubuntu as a windows program without having to partition your drive(s). Idk how it is in terms of performance vs. a regular install but it might be a good place to start.

bigboy7foru
September 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
yeah thats how my pal has his set up and he loves it... i think thats how i want it too but im not sure